• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce is in a class all by herself

Her distance should give her birdie looks. But there are ways to make the rest of the field play golf shots. Like a bunker/hazard area in front of the green.

Exactly. Or more risk/reward for the big lines, so that just because you CAN get there in 1 doesn't mean you SHOULD try. OR *gasp* technical holes that require multiple accurate shots to get to the green. The problem is not that she (or anyone in any other division for that matter) is rewarded for having more distance, its that the reward is skewed to massively favor raw total distance with very little incentive for accuracy. Good holes give some reward to long throws, and a lot of reward to those with big AND accurate throws, with a corresponding tradeoff in risk. Great holes also provide opportunities for conservative play to score well. Golf (both disc and ball) is a game that requires many skills. When the course is laid out to favor the biggest arm, with no respect for accuracy, the biggest arm wins. There are way too many other aspects of golf for me to be satisfied with that style of play.

I guess what I really mean is that 400-500 foot wide open par 3s are dumb period, but they are especially dumb for FPO play in an NT.

FWIW, I feel pretty much the same about the MPO side for the courses on the last 2 NTs (GBO and Memorial). I'm really looking forward to the Maple Hill, Masters Cup, and the Hall of Fame Classic because I think those courses are a much better test of overall golf skill. These last two NT's were all about who could throw the best big dumb hyzers and make long putts. There is more to golf then that.

Strange our biases on the gender issue; nobody is saying we need to make courses easier because McBeth is winning everything and the competition can't keep up.

This is so dumb, distance is something that is attainable for almost anyone, put in the practice time like paige has, and im sure many of the woman could throw as far....

The courses that are chosen for these events are done so because that's where the TD(s) that put in the time live. It's not so the cannons have an advantage or because the PDGA likes hyzers.

This is so dumb, distance is something that is attainable for almost anyone, put in the practice time like paige has, and im sure many of the woman could throw as far....

Honestly the only issue I have with courses like the GBO or the memorial isn't that they test the big hyzer....it is that they don't do a good enough job testing a variety of skills.

The courses that are chosen for these events are done so because that's where the TD(s) that put in the time live. It's not so the cannons have an advantage or because the PDGA likes hyzers.

I didn't say there was anything sinister behind it. Just that the sport as a hole can do better on our NT events. I listed 3 NTs that I believe favor the all around game better.

These same holes I dislike would also play better if you made them LONGER. add another 100-200 feet and make it a par 4, preferably with a fairway that favors landing in a specific area for the upshot. Smaller arms can play for placement for a easier look at the green for their second shot, and big arms can go up and over or around and RISK having a difficult approach or potentially be REWARDED with a much shorter upshot. All I'm advocating getting rid of is the Not A Golf Shot 100-150 foot upshot fest (with Paige jump putting) that is FPO on these big open courses.

A good example of a GOOD par 3 they played at the GBO is number 18 at Emporia Country Club (the last hole of the tournament). 357 feet over water onto an island green with a bailout layup area off the tee. OB tee shots proceed to drop zone with penalty in the bailout area. The majority of the players at the top of FPO have the arm to get there, but its risky. Its less risky for Paige because she has the big arm advantage and can disc down or throw something more overstable on a hyzer line instead of max distance. Everybody has to make the decision to go big and risk taking a huge number, knowing that if you hit it you are getting strokes on the field. You see a variety of different scores and a variety of different choices for the best way to play the hole based on the situation. Paige layed up twice because she was up by a ton. If it was close she could have gone for it.

That example is not an EASIER hole then the other par 3s they played, its a BETTER hole.

Its kinda funny that I'm getting attacked for this, because this is basic course design stuff I'm talking about. These are not complicated or controversial concepts, and they get talked about all the time on this board in other sub forums.
What makes a big hyzer "dumb"?
Because it is literally the easiest shot in disc golf. Big hyzers are so easy NOOBS do them accidently on their first day. What makes it REALLY dumb is when every tee shot over 18 holes in an NT is a hyzer.

Obviously you can't throw big dumb hyzers or make long putts.

Your half right. I can't make long putts.

I was watching the Jomez coverage and on the 18th hole you had McBeth go for the island and make it, the other 2 proceeded to take the risk and went OB. Feldberg played a smart shot and threw to the drop zone area for an easier approach. I respect Feldy's shot a heck of a lot more.

I was watching the Jomez coverage and on the 18th hole you had McBeth go for the island and make it, the other 2 proceeded to take the risk and went OB. Feldberg played a smart shot and threw to the drop zone area for an easier approach. I respect Feldy's shot a heck of a lot more.

Feldy loves his layups on island greens, and I don't blame him. 17 at USDGC anyone? He lays up every time.

Strange our biases on the gender issue; nobody is saying we need to make courses easier because McBeth is winning everything and the competition can't keep up.

That's pretty funny. Its strange the way our biases come out in unexpected ways, like when you project them onto someone else for saying something that doesn't have anything to do with gender. I wouldn't enjoy watching black transsexual 65 year olds that are rated in the low 900's play those courses either but that doesn't make me a racist/sexist/agist/whatever

I wouldn't enjoy watching black transsexual 65 year olds that are rated in the low 900's play those courses either but that doesn't make me a racist/sexist/agist/whatever
I'd rather spend $100 to pay per view this than mayweather vs. Pacquiao.

Title of thread: "Paige Pierce is in a class all by herself "

The point has been well made by the argument that courses need to be chosen to allow the other women to compete.

Everyone in FPO has to play the same course. If you can't crush 450, then you better putt 120.

It should be noted that Feldberg then proceeded to throw his up directly into the water, and OB, while McBeth carded a two.

I can certainly think of many other players to not have my daughter watch, for form and course management. Much like Paul McBeth, raw skill wise PP isn't too much above the competition (still is though) but it's her smarts that get her the big wins. Again, just like McBeth, you rarely see PP make big mistakes.

Wish I could do that :/