• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce loses huge opportunity

Just because people cry to put something in the landfill doesn't mean it should be. It is a very relevant topic that just happened in disc golf. It appears that people have vastly different views on the topic. This is okay. Most people aren't being disrespectful with their opinions. Do you think a thread should be landfilled just because you disagree with it?
Different views are fine when people on both sides of the argument are speaking with reason. Suggesting there is honor in people intentionally tanking to compensate for an injustice of life that happened to a competitor and was beyond anyone's control just so we could all have a concocted feel good happy ending is just pathetic, especially when in the grand scheme of things people should just be happy said competitor is alive to throw another disc.

But hey, all here who think feelgoodery should go before fairness and respect for the game, go right ahead and use this thread for your soapbox. That nuttery should get this thread kicked back downstairs where it belongs in due time.

Different views are fine when people on both sides of the argument are speaking with reason. Suggesting there is honor in people intentionally tanking to compensate for an injustice of life that happened to a competitor and was beyond anyone's control just so we could all have a concocted feel good happy ending is just pathetic, especially when in the grand scheme of things people should just be happy said competitor is alive to throw another disc.

But hey, all here who think feelgoodery should go before fairness and respect for the game, go right ahead and use this thread for your soapbox. That nuttery should get this thread kicked back downstairs where it belongs in due time.
Thanks for a response with content although I disagree with much of what you say and it is very close-minded. I'm not sure how you can imply people that think there would be honor in the "throwing" of a match don't understand that the important thing is Hokom is alright. That's like me saying anyone that opposed pierce tanking it are just fans of Pierce and don't care about Hokoms wreck. The difference is I would never do that because it's not fair. That is very negligent of you though. I would argue that these people are so happy and appreciative that Hokom is ok and playing disc golf that they wanted her to win very badly. They have contemplated different what if scenarious and just think it would've been very cool. Btw I would say that there is enough precedent in other sports that it is a fact that it would've been a great story and brought honor. There will always be haters either way. Your stubbornness to accept others opinions while resorting to condemning that group is pretty childish and unbecoming.

This. Hands down.

Pierce was ready to lay up on the last hole to give Sarah a chance to win. It ended up being a chance to tie and Sarah did not make her jump putt (her putting looks awkward in general and I would suggest she work on that over the off season). Paige was not going to hand her the title now should she, but she did give her the trophy.

Sarah's been working on her putting alot, lately. She changed it drastically in the off season. I wonder if she wasn't hurting, physically, though. If certain motions/body positions bothered her, that would change finesse shots the most.

Perfect axemple ^^^

Oh wait, that was really disrespectful to the sport of running, or so says non-athletes on a disc golf forum.

Is your non-athlete opinion more relevant than the other non-athletes here, or something? Maybe more relevant than the actual competitors opinions (which obviously seems to align with the majority here)? I guess they are non-athletes, too. Maybe, you're just trying really hard to invalidate the opinions of those you don't agree with, so you attempt to insult them?

I cant wait to play a round with Hammer and some of you posters here.

Others make me want to quit playing disc golf altogether. SO stupid.

Rules are place to give everyone a fair advantage no matter the circumstances. Search Bob Goalby, , Tommy Aaron and Roberto DeVicenzo for another example of how rules can change people's lives but create opportunities to reflect how class people react.

I really dont think Paige missed any opportunity. She thought about putting it in to a playoff on the last hole when she was setting up for a putt. The way she kept walking back and forth and getting set makes me think thats what was going through her head. I talked with a friend of mine yesterday who shed more light on this that I didnt know (maybe other did and maybe it was already mentioned?) Sarah was 30 minutes away and could leave the accident scene until the legal mumbojumbo was finished. The players were asked if they were willing to wait. They all, including Paige, said yes due to the unfortunately and uncontrollable circumstance. That is, everyone except Catrina. She was asked a second time and she still said no and started the round without Sarah. Seems to me the light should be shining on Catrina when all the other competitors were willing to wait.

In Paige's words from her FB page:
"I can honestly say as the die hard competitor in myself that I have never considered not playing my best, this is what I feel as I was born to do, compete to my highest potential. Yesterday was a first for me as I truly battled between my heart and my mind and contemplated laying up for a world championship title. Knowing Sarah J Hokom for years off the course I felt strongly that knowing her as well as I do, she would never want to win like that. I watched (and even caddied for her final nine) when she won her world title in 2012 and I remember vividly the focus and incredible skill she showed then. 3 years of experience and wisdom later, she showed even more focus than I have ever seen one person show. To be able to overcome what could have very well have been a fatal car accident and get to the course composed and ready to fight to keep the 5 stroke lead she had deservingly accomplished thus far was inspirational. I could go on and on about what I feel should have happened and how incredibly proud I am to call you sarah, one of my best friends. ill just leave it at...
‪#‎HokomForPresident‬"

I really dont think Paige missed any opportunity. She thought about putting it in to a playoff on the last hole when she was setting up for a putt. The way she kept walking back and forth and getting set makes me think thats what was going through her head. I talked with a friend of mine yesterday who shed more light on this that I didnt know (maybe other did and maybe it was already mentioned?) Sarah was 30 minutes away and could leave the accident scene until the legal mumbojumbo was finished. The players were asked if they were willing to wait. They all, including Paige, said yes due to the unfortunately and uncontrollable circumstance. That is, everyone except Catrina. She was asked a second time and she still said no and started the round without Sarah. Seems to me the light should be shining on Catrina when all the other competitors were willing to wait.

That doesn't sound right......

I was there and it was both Cat stating that it shouldn't be their decision and advocating that there should be no delay. She definitely walked away when she realized that there was no chance that they were going to start on time. Also, it was not the TD or the course director making the decision, it was Rebecca Duffy, the president of the PDGA who was in control of the horn and the start time as the course marshal.

The rules as laid out in the rule-book decide when you start, not a particular player. Otherwise, you need not have rules in the first place - you could just ask your cardmates what the "house" rules are for each round. Good luck with that system...

One, no one asked the players if they were willing to wait. That's hearsay that has been contradicted by other people who were there. And even if we want to concede that they did ask some, they certainly did not ask everyone. There were 12 groups of women on the course and by all accounts I've seen, it was no more than the first 3-4 groups involved in any discussions of delaying (whether they were asked about it or they were asking for it). According to some folks who were on/with the other cards, none of them knew what the delay was about until after the round or during the round through the grapevine/social media.

Two, whether the officials on site asked for players' opinions on delaying or the players were asking for a delay, it doesn't matter since it's not up to them nor should it be. A player is late, they're late. It shouldn't matter why and it shouldn't matter who.

One, no one asked the players if they were willing to wait. That's hearsay that has been contradicted by other people who were there. And even if we want to concede that they did ask some, they certainly did not ask everyone. There were 12 groups of women on the course and by all accounts I've seen, it was no more than the first 3-4 groups involved in any discussions of delaying (whether they were asked about it or they were asking for it). According to some folks who were on/with the other cards, none of them knew what the delay was about until after the round or during the round through the grapevine/social media.

Two, whether the officials on site asked for players' opinions on delaying or the players were asking for a delay, it doesn't matter since it's not up to them nor should it be. A player is late, they're late. It shouldn't matter why and it shouldn't matter who.

I'm sure I didnt get the most accurate story as it was one person who was there. My only point was that if these player WERE asked if they'd wait, then it seems like it was Catrina who "lost an opportunity".

I do agree with your #2 though. Rules are rules an under no circumstance should they have to wait no matter the cause or person. I dont think they should have, but if they were in agreement to wait, wouldn't they have been able to?

Ummmm...you say "rules are rules" but then they aren't if you agree that they aren't? I'm very confused.

Im also not intending to present it as a fact. Its just something I was told and thought I'd drop it in here by chance that maybe someone else has heard the same or different and could yay or nay that matter.

Paige did do the right thing. She played hard and she played to win. She didn't deliberately try to lose. That was the honorable path. According to your convoluted logic, had Paige deliberately missed a putt, Hokum would then have to ask herself "Am I winning due to a technicality?" At which point, Hokum would have to drop strokes so that Paige could win. But then Paige would have to do the same and it would become some bizarre disc golf ouroboros putting after its own tail.

We agree on something? :confused: *touches floor to see if Hell is freezing over*

I cant wait to play a round with Hammer and some of you posters here.

Others make me want to quit playing disc golf altogether. SO stupid.

I'd get killed in that kind of game/group, but I'd still rather finish last to a group of competitors than first in a group where I had to wonder if I'd earned it.

Ummmm...you say "rules are rules" but then they aren't if you agree that they aren't? I'm very confused.

What I mean is, if the rule states that you do not NEED to wait, then the players are free to proceed without the entire card there. But if the players agree to wait, are they able to do so.

Latest posts