• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Painful calluses, forehand players

1. Form callus.
2. Throw discs.

Bam.

Also, I recommend that you don't cut it off ever. Instead, build it up more regularly and gradually. When an injury forced me to switch to 100% forehand, I remember having some of the pain you're talking about. It was especially bad during field work.
I started carrying a disc around the house with me doing one of two drills constantly. One was the hammer pound, which will probably hurt you like crazy at first. The other was throwing the disc straight up in the air, perpendicular to the ground, trying to spin it as hard as I could. On this second one, the alignment of the disc with your forearm before you let it go is key, since you don't want to train yourself to roll your wrist while imparting spin.
The callus that quickly formed was just a fringe benefit, with the important gains coming in the increase in whip. That second drill quickly made such a difference in my game that a friend who I hadn't played with in a few months commented on how my discs were flying strangely and that he kept expecting them to come down, but they kept right on floating. I credit this drill with adding something like 75' to my drive, and finally allowing me to take a run at 400' holes instead of always playing for the 3.
Good luck fellow forehander!

I have these weird "blood vessel" things that pop up under my callous. It looks like black dots under the skin. I have tried medical tape but its too finicky and I often overtighten. The self stick tape is flexible and thick enough to where you dont feel anything.

Honestly I have been trying to ease into my callous, if that makes sense. I carry the tape with me but only use it when it starts to sting and I can see the vessells starting to develop. Hopefully this will make the callous to get thicker. I hate using the tape but it keeps me consistent because I am not thinking about the pain.

Sounds like blood blisters. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_blister to see what I mean.

I throw maybe 1 or 2 forehand drives per round, depending on the course, so my calluses are small. A callus is generally a useful adaptation of the skin to prevent being rubbed through. I am not a doctor, but in my opinion, don't cut it off unless you have a really good reason (constant pain, tearing, etc.).

Ya, calluses aren't necessarily bad, but have you tried changing the grip. I use the power/control grip with the index and middle fingers side by side. This way, the disc seems to rip off of the bottom side of my fingers instead of the side. If you just prefer the power grip tho, I understand.

Also, I recommend that you don't cut it off ever. Instead, build it up more regularly and gradually. When an injury forced me to switch to 100% forehand, I remember having some of the pain you're talking about. It was especially bad during field work.
I started carrying a disc around the house with me doing one of two drills constantly. One was the hammer pound, which will probably hurt you like crazy at first. The other was throwing the disc straight up in the air, perpendicular to the ground, trying to spin it as hard as I could. On this second one, the alignment of the disc with your forearm before you let it go is key, since you don't want to train yourself to roll your wrist while imparting spin.
The callus that quickly formed was just a fringe benefit, with the important gains coming in the increase in whip. That second drill quickly made such a difference in my game that a friend who I hadn't played with in a few months commented on how my discs were flying strangely and that he kept expecting them to come down, but they kept right on floating. I credit this drill with adding something like 75' to my drive, and finally allowing me to take a run at 400' holes instead of always playing for the 3.
Good luck fellow forehander!

any chance you could get a video posted of this second drill? i'm intrigued but for whatever reason i'm having issues visualizing the motion. or at least explain it a little more.

You sand your disc, or your finger? Sanding your disc is illegal.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.
Emphasis added.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I gave new skin a shot and it seems to work pretty well, I will also give the self adhesive wraps a shot.

Not if it's just removing flashing, from my understanding.

You can sand your disc no matter what. Chuck even posted before saying that you could interpret 'light sanding' as sanding with a lighter for those people who prefer to use a lighter to fix dings and such.

Form callouses, don't rip them off. I've got pretty serious callouses on by pointer and middle finger, and a blood blister on the inside of my pointer finger from field work.

I too throw mostly FH and have the same gnarly calluses everyone else has spoken of. I try to let the callus form as best as possible early in the season.

I use a finger-less paintball glove when my callus is not fully developed and my finger is hurting.

Also something I'd like to note, when you do develop that callus, be sure to keep your hands as dry as possible when playing in wet or humid conditions. Humidity and wetness will cause the callus to soften up and rip off, then you are back to square one.

Last edited:
I too throw mostly FH and have the same gnarly callouses everyone else has spoken of. I try to let the callous form as best as possible early in the season.

I use a finger-less paintball glove when my callous is not fully developed and my finger is hurting.

Also something I'd like to note, when you do develop that callous, be sure to keep your hands as dry as possible when playing in wet or humid conditions. Humidity and wetness will cause the callous to soften up and rip off, then you are back to square one.

thanks for the tip.

iI started using the New skin stuff myself, it helps alot with this problem. You can pick up the generic versions for a few bucks...nice and cheap.

From my experience of throwing strictly forehands for the first 5 years I played, I found that when you are using the side of your finger instead of the pad of the finger on the disc's rim to "snap", that generates a lot more blisters because of the drag.

It's also detrimental to your distance if you use the side of your finger, fyi, so make sure that finger pad is flat on the rim. It almost feels like you're twisting your wrist; it's awkward like a lot of things you have to develop in disc golf.

But I always wrap a few layers of medical/hockey tape (that fabric-esque kind) around my palm, as my blisters would show up at the base of my index finger.

Just pay attention that your fingers' pads are pushing against the disc, or I've also just wrapped up individual fingers. The soft tape stays on pretty well and didn't interfere with my grip/release. I've gotten a lot of questions about it on the course, and several people that I've suggested it to have been happy with how it feels and like the flexibility. Just don't wrap your hand so tight you can't flex it (obviously).

I know that callus there sucks, because the disc slides over it every time, haha.