• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Painful calluses, forehand players

What's wrong with my forehand? I throw it on most shots, and never have had callus problems to even the slightest degree. I can throw about 250 I'd say, and I use a 1 finger (index) grip. I push the pad of my whole index finger against the inside rim of the disc.

What's wrong with my forehand? I throw it on most shots, and never have had callus problems to even the slightest degree. I can throw about 250 I'd say, and I use a 1 finger (index) grip. I push the pad of my whole index finger against the inside rim of the disc.

Can't give you a definite answer, but some ideas:

- The disc isn't travelling fast enough out of your hand and across your skin to cause calluses

- You do not have a consistent release to where the disc is hitting the same contact points on every throw.

- Your discs are worn down and do not have any sharp edges that would
cause the skin to tear, blister and/or eventually callus.

- I have found personally that smaller rimmed discs hit my callus much more than wide rimmed drivers, so the type of discs you are throwing in combination with your grip could cause you to not tear, blister, and/or callus either.

I don't think its a bad thing, I'd consider yourself lucky that you are not experiencing gnarly calluses or blisters.

I too throw mostly FH and have the same gnarly calluses everyone else has spoken of. I try to let the callus form as best as possible early in the season.

I use a finger-less paintball glove when my callus is not fully developed and my finger is hurting.

Also something I'd like to note, when you do develop that callus, be sure to keep your hands as dry as possible when playing in wet or humid conditions. Humidity and wetness will cause the callus to soften up and rip off, then you are back to square one.

The solution to calluses is to PREVENT THEM FROM FORMING. If you wrap your finger in paper tape the callus will not form in the first place.

Calluses slowly build as you play but as you keep playing they either get too big or just dry out and eventually crack then tear off leaving a bloody gash. This gash will slowly heal and as you play build up a new callus. It becomes a repetitive cycle. Unfortunately you cannot time the cycle to your liking. Your callus might tear off when you least want it to. They are very painful if this happens in winter.

So you can either let the cycle run its natural course or simply prevent it.

Every drug store carries paper tape (typically used to bandage wounds) in 1 inch width. Wrap it around the spot where you callus a few times. It won't harm your grip and takes little practice to get used to it. A typical package contains 10 feet of tape, costs a couple bucks and will last for a month even if you play every day.

Paper tape was suggested to me by a doctor who plays disc golf. I have used it for over a decade without problems.

My main callus is by the top bend on my index finger. Any attempt to wrap it with tape would prevent me from bending my finger and therefore prevent me from being able to throw. My only solution is to accept that it is part of the game and to keep on throwing.

The solution to calluses is to PREVENT THEM FROM FORMING. If you wrap your finger in paper tape the callus will not form in the first place.

Calluses slowly build as you play but as you keep playing they either get too big or just dry out and eventually crack then tear off leaving a bloody gash. This gash will slowly heal and as you play build up a new callus. It becomes a repetitive cycle. Unfortunately you cannot time the cycle to your liking. Your callus might tear off when you least want it to. They are very painful if this happens in winter.

So you can either let the cycle run its natural course or simply prevent it.

Every drug store carries paper tape (typically used to bandage wounds) in 1 inch width. Wrap it around the spot where you callus a few times. It won't harm your grip and takes little practice to get used to it. A typical package contains 10 feet of tape, costs a couple bucks and will last for a month even if you play every day.

Paper tape was suggested to me by a doctor who plays disc golf. I have used it for over a decade without problems.

I don't have any problems with mine ripping off unless it gets moist. I am not a doctor nor do I claim to be one, I speak from personal experience only.

Also speaking from personal experience, tape is a pain in the butt for me. When I get sweaty it just falls off, and besides that it does affect my grip.

To each his own.

I feel your pain man! As a primary flicker, I've got quite the callus. If it hurts when you throw, take a day or two off to let it harden up. Work on your backhand in the mean time or try another grip.

This 100% just gotta let the callus harden and dont pick at it

I throw a one finger forehand to about 350 max. I have been doing it for 20 years and never got a blister or callus.

If you are getting callouses or blisters from forehanding then you are doing it wrong or you have bad flashing on your disc. I forehand 95% of all shots and I don't get any callouses because I have a clean release that doesn't drag on my fingers. I even played a 3 rounds of 24 holes tourney a few weeks ago without any soreness in my hand.