• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Par 3 isnt viable for some holes

When I am playing my home courses, I generally don't worry about what par is. I know what I expect to shoot, and if I shoot better than what I expect, than I am very happy with that.

Where par matters to me is on courses I have not played, and I want to see how I shoot relative to the course par. I really wish more designers would use the PDGA standards when designing courses.

Total strokes is the only number that means anything.

Are you trying to tell me that if people ask how I shot and I tell them the actual number of strokes they will understand what I am talking about? Crazy talk I tell ya.

There are different levels of courses ie white,red, blue,gold etc. Guidelines for par depending on the course in question can be found in many places on this site. Par is important for many reasons.

Old Hat discussed below....

It is also due to the advancement of technology; 400ft is reachable by the general public because of high-speed drivers, still making it a "par 3".

Par, in golf terms, always includes two strokes added for putting. Since the thought with disc golf is "you should only need one stroke for putting" it drastically changes the conception of par. High speed tech only enables the reduced difficulty of a hole.

Stroke count is all that actually matters to me. Par is irrelevant to me during casual play. Actually, it's irrelevant during competetive play as well. I'm playing myself or the rest of the field. Under or over par doesn't change the stack of a given round

Stroke count is all that actually matters to me. Par is irrelevant to me during casual play. Actually, it's irrelevant during competetive play as well. I'm playing myself or the rest of the field. Under or over par doesn't change the stack of a given round

The concept of par in an IDEAL, perfect world scenario, would give people a way to compare performance between different courses knowing nothing about the course. Knowing stroke count is fine when comparing rounds from a single course, and I agree for the most part par can be ignored. It is typically not useful comparing stroke count on a 5000' course with a 8000' course.

For par to do its job it doesn't need to be fair, it needs to be as consistent as possible, and I think the PDGA guidelines for par tries to do that.

FWIW, when I started playing I read the course sign at the start of our course which reads "For all expert players, all holes are par 3. For all recreational players, all holes are par 4." Not being that knowledgeable about this subject at the time, and knowing damn well I was no expert, I went with what the sign said, and was quite proud of myself when I "eagled" a 198 foot hole twice in one day. I now probably deuce that hole about 50% of time and have aced it twice.

So I don't think whomever made that sign was all that interested in par standardization, but take that story for what its worth.

Hole 13 at Delaveaga should be a par 4 in its "normal" position. The only time it is in the short position is for Ice Bowl. Pros average over par on this hole, and closer to 4 than 3. But it is part of the mystique of the course to have incredibly hard holes so it remains challenging to Top Pros. I'm told that in tournament positions, Delaveaga is a 1000 rating to get par. Ams have learned to live with that.

I've never had a Par in that position. I've missed quite a few "putts" inside 40 feet, but I've only ever been inside the circle with no trees directly in the way one time. At this point, having played this course 100s of times, it is strangely cool to still have a hole I can reach in two, but still haven't got par. Cuz when I do, it will be a big deal. I should have some kind of personal incentive - like maybe the day I get par on 13, I take the day off work and have to drink 13 Tequila shots by day end?

I don't pay attention to par in swat golf either. I don't play 18 holes and tell folks I was 37 over. Most would have no idea what that meant. Now if I tell then I shot 117, then they know is suck.

Are you trying to tell me that if people ask how I shot and I tell them the actual number of strokes they will understand what I am talking about? Crazy talk I tell ya.

I sure wish people answered with their score, instead of "terrible, worst round of my life, awful, couldn't hit a 40 footer, bad," etc. etc. pisses me off

Here you go:
partable.jpg

Lock. Delete. Ban.

I think that actually looks like a pretty good chart. Altho I would like to add par 2's in there. Generally, I don't think par 2's exist, except in the rarest occasions. Personally, I think 75 ft and under without any direct obstacles would be a par 2.

I sure wish people answered with their score, instead of "terrible, worst round of my life, awful, couldn't hit a 40 footer, bad," etc. etc. pisses me off

And how someone plays is relative to how they normally play, not their score. Some people would be thrilled to get par on my home course because that would be better than their normal round. I however wouldn't consider that a great round for me. Like I say, it's all relative.

And how someone plays is relative to how they normally play, not their score. Some people would be thrilled to get par on my home course because that would be better than their normal round. I however wouldn't consider that a great round for me. Like I say, it's all relative.

tournaments are the worst. What I described it all I get at any tournament, even with people I know well, so I just quit asking or caring what other people shot.

I think that actually looks like a pretty good chart. Altho I would like to add par 2's in there. Generally, I don't think par 2's exist, except in the rarest occasions. Personally, I think 75 ft and under without any direct obstacles would be a par 2.

What is the longest par 1?

Ahh the good old debate over par and how to judge it and what it should be. Every single time this discussion is had I do this

forum

Which is quickly followed by this

tumblr_mj073y7tCb1rrjkeno1_250.gif

Latest posts