• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Par Talk

Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?

• A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's not what was said on the video coverage. Perhaps they got it wrong? Top of the world was modified for safety, but others were modified because? At least one was, "well, iot should have been par 4. The iconic throw that went up the side of the hill was shortened to the base. Not sure why.

Yes to safety, but a lot of the changes had no real explanation.

BTW, how many injuries have there been from throws off top of the world?

I don't think I-5 was modified, just what the par was labeled.

Top of the world is an accident waiting to happen. Its not like the old pin position was significantly harder for the pros. It seems smart to be proactive in that situation. Errant drives from Top of the World can land all over holes 1,2,3, and 6 (plus other locations like the parking lot). Mix in a bunch of spectators watching a different hole than top of the world and something unfortunate could definitely happen. If someone were to get hurt and the TD said "I was just waiting for an accident to happen to justify changing the pin position", I'm pretty sure no one would understand that reasoning.

Not super clear why they changed the uphill hole, but they do struggle with erosion on that hill. Maybe they just wanted to encourage the players to get aggressive on it.

By the outcome, it appears that the way to make DeLa "safer," was to make it easier. I reject that outcome. In part because some of the changes appeared to be unnecessary, in terms of safety. Id like to think we have the ability to do both?

I don't think I-5 was modified, just what the par was labeled.

Top of the world is an accident waiting to happen. Its not like the old pin position was significantly harder for the pros. It seems smart to be proactive in that situation. Errant drives from Top of the World can land all over holes 1,2,3, and 6 (plus other locations like the parking lot). Mix in a bunch of spectators watching a different hole than top of the world and something unfortunate could definitely happen. If someone were to get hurt and the TD said "I was just waiting for an accident to happen to justify changing the pin position", I'm pretty sure no one would understand that reasoning.

Not super clear why they changed the uphill hole, but they do struggle with erosion on that hill. Maybe they just wanted to encourage the players to get aggressive on it.

Good enough, but then I argue that a bunch of small individual changes made for a bigger overall outcome that was unforseen.

By the outcome, it appears that the way to make DeLa "safer," was to make it easier. I reject that outcome. In part because some of the changes appeared to be unnecessary, in terms of safety. Id like to think we have the ability to do both?

Maybe not. The longer or harder a hole, the larger the spray area. Almost always, the way to reduce interference is to make the hole shorter or easier. Interference is ultimately the limiting factor on how difficult a course can be for any given area. If the course was beyond that limit, the only possibility is to make it easier.

Yes... I think. Seems like the assigned par would have been more appropriate for blue or maybe even white level players more so than Gold level pros, right?

It actually looks this is the case for many events that you do these stats for.

It does look like that, but I don't think that is actually the underlying cause in most cases.

Let's call that "British" par – when the TD consciously make the decision to set par higher because there won't be a lot of 1000 rated players in the field. Sure, it happens, but there are a lot of other reasons why par might be set higher, causing it to look appropriate for lower skilled players.

"Swedish" par is based on the belief that all holes must be birdieable. Or that birdie is the good score, and par is one more than that. This par may be set for 1000-rated players, but it would call a hole where everyone gets a 3 a par 4. So, it results in pars that are higher than the expected score.

"Reach Plus Two" par is based on the old misguided notion that par is the number of throws to get to the basket, plus two. Again, it may be based on how far a 1000-rated player can throw, but this would result in higher par for three reasons:

A. Experts don't expect two more throws after reaching the basket, so this results in pars higher than expected scores.

B. Every hole from about 450 to 600 feet is called a par 4, when actually experts would expect to be able to get up and down in two from their drive.

C. Nothing can be called par 2, no matter how short.​

"Tee Sign" par just uses whatever is on the tee sign. In this case, the pars usually actually were targeted to a lower skill level, and the TD just didn't adjust them appropriately.

"TD's Arm" par is when the TD goes out and figures out how many throws he or she would expect to complete each hole. (Lately, I've seen a lot of pars that would be appropriate for the TD's rating.) Most TD's are not exactly 1000-rated.

"Longest Holes Must Be Higher" par is when the TD will just stick a par 4 label on the few holes that are longer than average. Or a par 5 label on the few holes that are longer than the par 4s. Often, this is not justified. If these holes were on a course where they were of average length for the course, they would not be par 4 or 5.

"Wanting" par covers all the cases where par is set to sate some sort of desire. Wanting to advertise that the tournament will be played on a big-boy course (no really, look, par is 63; ignore that SSA behind the curtain). Wanting to avoid the certain, inevitable, violent, extremely painful, and instantaneous collapse of the sport into non-existence. Wanting to let the players feel good about their day. Wanting to generate historically under par rounds. Wanting to get on YouTube with an Albatross. Wanting to generate interest with multiple eagles on one hole. That kind of thing.

There may be others. Also, these can interact. For example, if the tee sign pars were set based on reach plus two for Advanced players, and the TD left the pars at that level because it would be nice for the top players to shoot for birdie on every hole, it might look like the pars were set for Intermediate players.

I don't know how much each of these actually contributes to higher pars. My guess is that usually it is not a case of the TD carefully setting par to be appropriate for most of the players in the field.

By the way, I am OK with TDs setting par for the division that the field is competing in. FPO par, for example, or Advanced par. For pros, it's a fundamental flaw that something as trivial as accepting cash forces a player to compete in the highest skill level division. But, until we get lower-skilled pro divisions, we're stuck with only the highest skill level division. That division should have pars that are at a consistent level throughout the world, no matter who is expected to show up.

Maybe not. The longer or harder a hole, the larger the spray area. Almost always, the way to reduce interference is to make the hole shorter or easier. Interference is ultimately the limiting factor on how difficult a course can be for any given area. If the course was beyond that limit, the only possibility is to make it easier.

So what you're saying is that we needed to make DeLa easier. Do you have the breakdown on where the spray area occurs and what factors cause it? I have the tendency to put such ideas in the category of hypothesis until some data moves them towards having real world impact.

Making a course easier, so to speak, isn't the same as creating lower scores. One is a physical change in the course, the other is par manipulation. Yes, there is a good bit of overlap, make a hole easier without adjusting par and scoring goes down. The problem is that the making holes easier made a lot of holes ar DeLa play below par. I would think on a well adjusted course, you'd have some holes that play below par, say 2.7, and some that play above par, say 3.2 (if par was always three). DeLa seems to have a significant chunk of holes that are 2.7ish, and very few that are 3.2ish. Just to my very untrained eye.

So what you're saying is that we needed to make DeLa easier. Do you have the breakdown on where the spray area occurs and what factors cause it? I have the tendency to put such ideas in the category of hypothesis until some data moves them towards having real world impact.

Making a course easier, so to speak, isn't the same as creating lower scores. One is a physical change in the course, the other is par manipulation. Yes, there is a good bit of overlap, make a hole easier without adjusting par and scoring goes down. The problem is that the making holes easier made a lot of holes ar DeLa play below par. I would think on a well adjusted course, you'd have some holes that play below par, say 2.7, and some that play above par, say 3.2 (if par was always three). DeLa seems to have a significant chunk of holes that are 2.7ish, and very few that are 3.2ish. Just to my very untrained eye.

I meant lower scores. I have a hard time remembering that some people think "easier" and "harder" always means in relation to par.

No, I don't have the spray patterns and such, but I think those who made the changes have years of experience with the course. They know where discs land. It would seem silly and perhaps insulting and ungrateful to question their efforts.

There is no real reason some holes must average above par and some below. It would be nice, I suppose, but eliminating interference is far more important.

One thing we can do if we have a standardized par is make sensible comparisons about the number of bogey and birdie chances a course offers.

So I did. The "par" I used was my method (the lowest score on each hole where each throw has at least a 75% chance of contributing to achieving par or better). Whether this is par or not, it is at least a consistent way to select a score which is both good and common. Hitting that score will not do much to move the player up or down in the rankings, while getting a lower score will definitely help and getting a higher score will definitely hurt.

The red line is bogey risk. It shows the total increase in the average score for 1000-rated players from getting bogeys or higher. The green line is birdie reward. The sum of the bogey risk and birdie reward equals the average score in relation to par.

Among these courses, the course that offered the most birdie reward was The Choices Flooring 2018 Australian Disc Golf Championships Presented By Nature 2 Nourish/Weston Park.

The course that offered the most bogey risk was, as expected, Ledgestone Open 2015/Eureka/Temp (which I threw in there to make sure the method made sense).

Averaging all these courses we find that 1000-rated players had 5.78 bad breaks per 18 holes, but those were offset by 4.09 good breaks. Net, they average 1.68 throws over par (or, if you prefer, the score which they would get if they scored well but not exceptionally well).

attachment.php

Attachments

• BogeyBirdie.png
    BogeyBirdie.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 101
Beaver State Fling presented by KEEN - National Tour

One nice side effect of not bothering to use Open-level pars instead of Advanced-level pars is that they work out well for FPO.

attachment.php

On the other hand, scoring even par was only good enough to tie for 68th place in Open. You would think errorless play by an expert would be better. Specifically, tied for 18th place.

Attachments

• BSF2019.png
    BSF2019.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 80

I meant lower scores. I have a hard time remembering that some people think "easier" and "harder" always means in relation to par.

No, I don't have the spray patterns and such, but I think those who made the changes have years of experience with the course. They know where discs land. It would seem silly and perhaps insulting and ungrateful to question their efforts.

There is no real reason some holes must average above par and some below. It would be nice, I suppose, but eliminating interference is far more important.

A derogatory statement opening, " I have a hard time remembering that some people think "easier" and "harder" always means in relation to par." Bad start.

Since my written statement was, "Making a course easier, so to speak, isn't the same as creating lower scores. One is a physical change in the course, the other is par manipulation," I do believe that I moved out of the "par determines easier or harder realm into something more nuanced.

My thesis was exactly what you've written, and then not addressed, because it would be silly and perhaps, insulting. "They changed the holes, the result is that the vast majority of the holes now play below their set par." Apparently, their experience didn't prevent that from happening. Whether it was hole structure, or an inability to set some pars at 2, that prevented the majority of holes from playing below par, isn't clear in some cases, but in some it is quite clear. Two kinds of adjustments were made, one was to shorten holes, the other was to raise par on some holes. Those two adjustments meant that par went from generally being above -10 for the top players to being below -10 for the top players. I feel that was a mistake, that isn't the universal that some like to make it, that is for my personal enjoyment of the game. However, I would argue that it does include credibility for how we are percieved. Remember all the ESPN coverage over Paul's -18? Funny enough, it went away when he did it again. I have to wonder if they didn't figure out that it has less meaning than one would hope it would, and might be based more on our use of par, than on any real acheivment?

Speaking of playing from the gut, experience that is, don't, period. That's why we have math. That is why I support your supposition that we should use math to assess hole strength and why I paid attention to your math that showed that the vast majority of these holes played below the set par.

The notion that we should give someone credibility based on their vast experience has led to, George Bush's gut notion that Iraq had WMDs, that Donald Trump is a good businessman, and to the crushing of many careers in science and business because some investigator or manager, with lots of experience, made a call without doing the research and math. Two of my favorites are the scientists at NASA who's gut instincts told them that the O rings would hold, even though the science said they wouldn't, and the managers for BP that decided that cutting edges on lining wells, going against what had always been done, as determined by engineers, would be okay.

So, I'm quite happy to question the guys at DeLa, especially when the end result shows that the course dynamic is completely different than it was, not just for the single hole where safety was concerned.

It is fine if the DeLa wise men think that making the course easier was a good thing, but then they should take up the mantle, like you seemed to, and say "we wanted DeLa to play easier." I don't care if that is your, I forget everyone does this, easier, as defined by par, or the easier they used, by shortening holes and increasing par on others.

"There is no real reason some holes must average above par and some below. It would be nice, I suppose,"

This is a correct statement, in a vacuum. Can we agree that if all holes play below par, as opposed to being distributed on either side, that scores will be lower? How will that be percieved? Is our goal to drive scores lower? Is a hole that plays at 2.6 better than a hole that plays at 3.2? (and no, I don't think that is the case). Does it look, if all your par 3 holes score below three, that you've tried to make an easy course?

As an aside, if all things are random, then I would expect some distribution of holes around par, above and below. When I see a statistically significant skewing in one direction, it gives me pause. I'm not going to take such a course very seriously. It suggests someone wanted low scores to me. I suspect it would in a ball golf setting too.

What does eliminating interference mean? That leaves me lost. Do you mean stopping fans from being in the fairway? Or something else?

Last, perhaps you can indulge me farther, how do you define spray, what causes it etc. Just so I know what I'm discussing.

A derogatory statement opening, " I have a hard time remembering that some people think "easier" and "harder" always means in relation to par." Bad start.

I'm not discounting the rest of your post, but it belongs in a different thread. Perhaps you could start one about the philosophy of course redesign, or specifically about what was done to Dela. We can talk there.

I didn't mean my comment to be derogatory. I meant that I have a lot of different versions of "easier" swirling around my head. Most have to do with the physical hole (shorter, fewer trees, etc.) Others relate to the skill level the hole is appropriate for. (Should this hole be easy to reach in two for Rec players, or hard to reach in one for Advanced?) Some are based on scores, and a subset of those are based on scores in relation to par.

Average score minus par is not even the only measure of how hard the hole is in relation to par.

For example, an island hole could be made easier to get a birdie by shortening it, while also raising the average score by shrinking the island. To answer whether it has been made easier or harder, we need to be clear about which kind of easier we mean.

I'm not discounting the rest of your post, but it belongs in a different thread. Perhaps you could start one about the philosophy of course redesign, or specifically about what was done to Dela. We can talk there.

I didn't mean my comment to be derogatory. I meant that I have a lot of different versions of "easier" swirling around my head. Most have to do with the physical hole (shorter, fewer trees, etc.) Others relate to the skill level the hole is appropriate for. (Should this hole be easy to reach in two for Rec players, or hard to reach in one for Advanced?) Some are based on scores, and a subset of those are based on scores in relation to par.

Average score minus par is not even the only measure of how hard the hole is in relation to par.

For example, an island hole could be made easier to get a birdie by shortening it, while also raising the average score by shrinking the island. To answer whether it has been made easier or harder, we need to be clear about which kind of easier we mean.

I will go back to the topic of my first post. The changes in hole structure, leave a quandary. As you wrote, by the math, your math, par is correct. By my assessment, the hole structures leave something to be desired. It suggests that par has to be considered one of two parts of the equation. The course changed significantly in terms of play. Par should be correct, but the holes should have meaning too.

As many have argued, par 2 is bad, not because par 2 is bad, but because it says something about the hole. I'd argue that a course where every hole (or even the vast majority of holes) plays under the set par for the hole is a bad course. Yes, I know, different thread.

I'd argue that a course where every hole (or even the vast majority of holes) plays under the set par for the hole is a bad course. Yes, I know, different thread.

I would argue that the course is likely not designed for the group of players doing the playing which is how DeLa appears to me when I watch it. Looks like a whole bunch of great par 4's for red players.

I would argue that the course is likely not designed for the group of players doing the playing which is how DeLa appears to me when I watch it. Looks like a whole bunch of great par 4's for red players.

I'd say 12 par 3s, 11 par 4s, and one par 5.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DeLaRed2.png
    DeLaRed2.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 99
ET#4 - Sula Open 2019 Langevåg Frisbeegolfarena Championship layout; 18 holes; Par 64; 2,474 m

Par was set perfectly for Advanced (950-rated) players. Not for Open players.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sula2019.png
    Sula2019.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 86
Anytime a hole has multiple eagles, it is almost certain that par was too high. An Eagle means that one stroke was as good as three expertly played strokes. Or, that a player had two strokes on the same hole that were both as good as two expertly played strokes. Very unlikely. For two players to do it the same round is nearly impossible.

One the other hand, it is quite possible for someone to be swayed by feelings, tradition, or any number of other reasons to set par too high.

At the U.S. Open one-of-those-other-kinds-of-Golf Tournament, two holes had three eagles, and one had eight(!). I don't think these holes should have been called par 5s.

attachment.php

Attachments

• USOpen20191.png
    USOpen20191.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 79
Swedish Open 2019/Ymergårdens Discgolfcenter/Competition layout; 18 holes; Par 61; 2,042 m

attachment.php

Par was appropriate for 865-rated players. Which is just about the assistant TD's rating.

Attachments

• SwedishOpen2019.png
    SwedishOpen2019.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 74
The Majestic 2019 Blue Ribbon Pines Disc Golf Course BRP Pro 27 holes, 10,160 ft

Pretty good job setting pars. #26 is a left hand sharp turn around a mando, so it seems like it should be a par 4. #17 was a typical short (and downhill) island hole with more 4s than 3s, but mostly 2s.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Majestic2019.png
    Majestic2019.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 60