• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Parks Department closing course too early

wadevk

Every year they pull our baskets way too early and instead of learning from years past they seem to keep doing it earlier and earlier. They claim it is for trail maintenance for the ski trails yet we won't have any snow that stays on the ground for another month at least.

Link to the post on their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151087453427001&set=a.10150173076302001.300785.178217317000&type=1&theater

If your local course gets closed for the winter when does it usually happen? Thanks..

I would assume that the ski trail maintenance in question would have to take place before snow starts falling. The weather up there can change in a hurry.

I would assume that the ski trail maintenance in question would have to take place before snow starts falling. The weather up there can change in a hurry.
It can, but The maintenance they have to do is very small and could be done by closing the course for an afternoon. Take last year for example, They didn't remove the baskets until Halloween and we had great weather for 2 months after that.
So instead of the park being used it sat there untouched by either group.

I have also a course that is on a ski slope and they pull the baskets right about now for the same reasons and bc the weatehr just changes to quickly at the higher elevations. It is also a pay to play and the the ski $$ is way more then the disc golf $$

That sucks. Winter is prime playing time where I live. Would I be correct in guessing that you dont have another course to play? Sorry to hear that.

That sucks. Winter is prime playing time where I live. Would I be correct in guessing that you dont have another course to play? Sorry to hear that.
You would be correct. :( Other than this, The closest course is 70 miles away and the closest decent course is 110 miles away.

There is a ski resort course about an hour from me, and they close their course on Oct 14th. Although, this was thier 1st year with a disc golf course, so maybe they will close it later in the future.

Looks to be a derth of courses in northern mn. Looks like there's lots of room for more though!
7cpsj.jpg

Just drop in a PVC pipe and play it as a tone pole course. :) Or have a conversation with someone at the Parks department...

Tim S.

As a league we have had many conversations with the parks and rec department and believe me they don't seem to care about the place, They won't even allow a sign on the road for the course if WE pay for it.

I would LOVE for there to be a second course in town but the parks space is limited and the money to buy land and build one is out of the question...

Maybe instead of jumping to conclusions, you could volunteer to help get the park ready for the ski season. That way you see if they really need the extra time, and you build relationships with the people closing your course. Maybe then you can convince them to keep it open longer next year. :hfive:

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Our best course gets pulled at random sometime in October or November, sometimes it seems that they wait for the bad weather to hit but I think it's pretty random every year.

There isn't much you can do about it unless you befriend the people who are paid maintain the park and convince them to leave them in longer.

i cant really feel your pain, but in san jose, the park rangers come and tell us when its 30 min from getting dark. its more of a safety thing due to the part of town the course is in... but it happens to early haha.

Maybe instead of jumping to conclusions, you could volunteer to help get the park ready for the ski season. That way you see if they really need the extra time, and you build relationships with the people closing your course. Maybe then you can convince them to keep it open longer next year. :hfive:

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
Hey now, Don't jump to conclusions about me jumping to conclusions! I do alot for this park and I know how it is ran and what they have to do.

Latest posts