• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth #27523

Paul absolutely has and threw a buzzz at Ledgestone. It's mustard yellow. Very few shots on those courses required mids.

I think I'd attribute the winless streak to his being one shot worse per about 18 holes. The fact that its so much harder for him to win any one tournament is more down to the entire field being better. I don't think the field has improved so much that it is the bigger reason he's had this streak. The last time this happened, you could see it in the ratings in 2018. When he's less than peak McBeth a losing streak can happen.

If he returns to 1060Paul level I don't think he goes 0 for 12 over 12 events even against the current fields. Maybe in 5-10 years, considering some of the kids coming up behind/with Gannon.

Way to go out on a limb, lol.

There is no denying that the fields are stronger and there is much more competition week after week. There is only one 1050 rated player currently, so I believe that speaks volumes to how difficult it is this year to maintain a consistantly dominant level of play and player rating. When guys with 1020-1030 rated rounds come out and win tournaments, it is going to drag down the ratings of the higher rated players who finished lower in the field.

McBeth is throwing out the first pitch at the Chicago White Sox game tonight. He's good a buddy of tonight's starting pitcher Dylan Cease, who has turned into a fantastic player.

They didn't show it on tv. Maybe somebody got a video of it and will post it somewhere

Imagine only playing elite series, national tours and majors and not winning one of 12 events being your longest losing streak. Wild.

As I have watched Paul the last two seasons, I get the sense that he is frustrated with his disc selection. It seems as though he has so few discs he really trusts. When he was with Innova, he carried a ton of roc's and threw them all the time, he hasn't found a replacement for that yet. I don't think he threw a buzzz in the last two tournaments. He was also known for having a ton of destroyers in the bag, it seems like he has two, maybe three forces that he likes. I can't keep track of his fairways, where it was teebird3 and thunderbird it is now, anax, vulture, undertaker, reaper(?) and none of them seem to be what he is looking for.

I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to get a roc replacement made along with a new plastic blend to fill that Mc(kc)pro void for next season

Lets be honest every company has the same disc with a different name. Destroyer = zeus, halo destroyer = force, buzzz = roc3 if beat in, I couldn't compare any fairways bc I've never thrown an innova fairway. Luna = mcbeth aviar. Just like everyone has a very similar zone now... Toro, the new kj one don't remember the name. I don't think its disc selection. I think he has a lot on his table now with the Mcbeth foundation and other projects.

If Paul & Brodie have a personal beef that is serious enough they allude to it on public forums; well that is sad. That was an interesting and dynamic chemistry & really positive for the dg community.

I could be totally wrong but I thought Paul and Brodie either owned it were part owners of Foundation Discs. I also think Paul bailed or sold out but not sure about Brodie. Someone probably knows more about it than I do.

They talked about the whole situation to start off todays podcast...

Cliffs notes?

So, apparently, Paul, Brodie and the other Foundation guys were planning to do a bunch of things to help grow the business, which is why Brodie moved to VA. Brodie buys a house and then moves to Lynchburg. Sometime before that happened Paul decided he didn't want to do it anymore. He had a lot of irons in the fire apparently and after Brodie moved he called them all to a meeting and then told the guys he didn't think he could put in as much time and effort as they were and didn't think it would be fair to them. They then bought out Paul from his stake in Foundation.

Brodie apparently was a bit miffed that Paul didn't tell him all this before he uprooted his family and moved across the country.

The first portion of them talking Brodie moving to VA I followed but it kinda got weird/vague afterwards.

Something about another player doing something, Paul said otherwise and Brodie thought it was dishonest and confirmed later that it happened? I wasn't tracking what he was talking about and it just seemed awkward.

He also explained blocking Paul as him doing it because he wanted to annoy Paul by making him have to use somebody else's account to stalk Brodie. Just comes across as super childish? Come out and say you don't want him being able to interact with you, not try to pass it off like Paul can't help himself with the dg gossip and you're trying to play a prank on him.

My take: Brodie was told he was stimulating the goat in an inappropriate manner and it was hurting business. Interesting they said upfront that they weren't monetizing the video. Also interesting there wasn't really anything said about being open to making amends.

So, apparently, Paul, Brodie and the other Foundation guys were planning to do a bunch of things to help grow the business, which is why Brodie moved to VA. Brodie buys a house and then moves to Lynchburg. Sometime before that happened Paul decided he didn't want to do it anymore. He had a lot of irons in the fire apparently and after Brodie moved he called them all to a meeting and then told the guys he didn't think he could put in as much time and effort as they were and didn't think it would be fair to them. They then bought out Paul from his stake in Foundation.

Brodie apparently was a bit miffed that Paul didn't tell him all this before he uprooted his family and moved across the country.

I'd be a bit miffed as well in that circumstance.

He bro hop on my coat tails while I move to discraft, generate unheard of movement of plastic, launch your line of discs, keep riding my coat tails and run with your hype...lol

Imagine only playing elite series, national tours and majors and not winning one of 12 events being your longest losing streak. Wild.

As I have watched Paul the last two seasons, I get the sense that he is frustrated with his disc selection.

I've noticed this a bit as well, he has definitely been more vocal (enough to be picked up on live/post produced) when a disc doesn't behave how he expects (buzzz/anax not stable enough to handle the winds). I don't think we have seen an ITB since the initial one when he joined Discraft.

In those same events he's had less stellar rounds.

Like Ledgestone, R1, really put him in tough spot requiring a lot of risky play to be in it for R4.

Even PM can only ride the edge for so long before it catches up to him.

Looking at his uDisc stats I see a drop off of fairway hits & the two greens in regulation rankings/percentages compared to prior years. Kinda points to him being left in worse positions on the green or fairway which lead to worse putting stats. A number of factors could be in play here:
  • redesigned/new courses - tougher holes & greens, more OB, longer, removed easiest holes
  • less practice & prior course knowledge
  • disc selection/trust/knowledge - changing discs ITB a lot/not building trust in discs
  • environmental conditions tougher than prior years - wind/humidity/heat
Some combination of those could contribute to more OB strokes or missed fairways so far.

Would be interesting to compare splits for these uDisc stats for all pros:
  • first tournament round at courses vs subsequent rounds
  • last round vs prior rounds
  • wind/rain vs calm/clear

A lot of things about the competition catching up to Paul are spot on. Just to add a little though--let's not forget the $$. Big money can change someone's focus. Ask any lottery winner. It is entirely likely that as long as he is getting podium finishes most tournaments, he keeps raking in the big bucks for the next 5-10 years. Winning nearly every tournament (mid last decade) and making $50K a year is a lot different than top 5 finishes in most tournaments and making $1M a year. Plus the other irons he has in the fire, married now, and so on.

But even with all this, he is still right there:
1st USDGC last year
Course record at Champions Cup (and another tourney this year as I recall)
2nd Worlds last year to the Holy Shot (wins 98 years out of 100)
2nd at Euro (last stroke) this year to Eagle, who had possibly the most awesome tournament in recent memory (and he was still 16 strokes ABOVE 3rd place)
2nd at Ledgestone, which is a great all around test of skill--power, accuracy in the woods, placement between the ropes, finesse on touch shots, etc--though admittedly he was never REALLY in contention. But 2nd is still podium.

Yeah, he's washed up. :)

Latest posts