• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Paul McBeth What's In The Bag 2017

No, I mean that he opts to throw TB3 for the speed vs a TB for glide. Same with Roc3 vs Roc, Leo3 vs Leo. It's a different approach from the previous generation. IE: Schultz, Climo, etc.

Newer run discs also = easier to replace when lost. I get the sense after his bag was stolen at the memorial with his famous monster energy gator, robin egg speckled champ roc3's, first run PD etc etc. it's easier for him to keep his bag consistent with the newer stock. In his current bag his biggest loss would be those Aviar stamped destroyers or the mcrpo roc3's. Otherwise I'm sure he can handpick whatever he wants to match the feel of a lost disc.

The double beep when he pulls out a disc sounds just like my microwave. It fools me every time, and then I'm disappointed that there isn't food waiting for me in my microwave.

Sounds like my cat when I was growing up. :)

For some reason I find it interesting that he's sort of new school Innova with the "3" discs, versus the old school guys throwing the older versions of those molds. I don't even know why I find it sort of interesting....i just do.

No, I mean that he opts to throw TB3 for the speed vs a TB for glide. Same with Roc3 vs Roc, Leo3 vs Leo. It's a different approach from the previous generation. IE: Schultz, Climo, etc.

Paul has always expressed a preference for the flatter-topped discs of the "3" series. He bags the Roc3, Mako3, TB3, Leo3, and now the Aviar3. In some of the Konopiste Open commentary, Simon and Eagle said Paul switched from the P2 to the Av3 because (Paul said) the lower profile of the Av3 felt better to Paul in his hand. Sounds consistent.

(And I like it because I've always had a preference for those "3" series discs, alsol; and if Paul likes them, they'll keep being produced. :) )

that wasnt mentioned in this video. He had a few McPros, a champ and a MF

The video may have precede the RocX3. I think he does have the RocX3 in his bag now (maybe replaced the Gator with it?). And he's giving away the Metal Flake Roc3, so maybe he thinks the RocX3 is the overstable replacement for that... Just guesses...

Paul has always expressed a preference for the flatter-topped discs of the "3" series. He bags the Roc3, Mako3, TB3, Leo3, and now the Aviar3. In some of the Konopiste Open commentary, Simon and Eagle said Paul switched from the P2 to the Av3 because (Paul said) the lower profile of the Av3 felt better to Paul in his hand. Sounds consistent.

(And I like it because I've always had a preference for those "3" series discs, alsol; and if Paul likes them, they'll keep being produced. :) )

Understood. I'm not questioning any of it, I just think the new vs old school dynamic is interesting.

lol i didnt mean to quote your post LOL!!! I meant to quote the one about throwing Shrykes in Aussie but no longer bagging them. If I were to comment to your post it would be, "yes I agree" the new/different approach than the ones the older greats took is interesting

Ha, no worries. Now it makes sense.

Understood. I'm not questioning any of it, I just think the new vs old school dynamic is interesting.

Not sure if it's "old school vs. new school", or just a Paul McBeth comfort preference.

Then again, Ricky Wysocki likes the Harp, which is very flat, so maybe there is something generational about it...

Newer run discs also = easier to replace when lost. I get the sense after his bag was stolen at the memorial with his famous monster energy gator, robin egg speckled champ roc3's, first run PD etc etc. it's easier for him to keep his bag consistent with the newer stock. In his current bag his biggest loss would be those Aviar stamped destroyers or the mcrpo roc3's. Otherwise I'm sure he can handpick whatever he wants to match the feel of a lost disc.

But it isn't like they aren't still making Rocs, Leopards, etc.

I imagine the 3 mold is mostly preference. Personally I haven't liked any of the 3 molds I have tried but obviously some people prefer them. I don't like uberflat discs as I don't find them comfortable in the hand.

One thing I am confused by is why carry the Mako3 with the beat in Roc3s? I don't really watch much tournament coverage. When does he pull out the Mak03 instead of the beat in Roc3s?

One thing I am confused by is why carry the Mako3 with the beat in Roc3s? I don't really watch much tournament coverage. When does he pull out the Mak03 instead of the beat in Roc3s?

Paul throws the Nova 350 ft. on a straight frozen rope, and as you said, a beat Roc3 should also be straight for him. He uses the Mako3 for turnover/understable shots, usually around obstacles or on doglegs-right, and that's the only places I've seen him throw the Mako3.

I guess he could throw the Mako3 on straight shots if he loses a beat in Roc3, too.

Paul throws the Nova 350 ft. on a straight frozen rope, and as you said, a beat Roc3 should also be straight for him. He uses the Mako3 for turnover/understable shots, usually around obstacles or on doglegs-right, and that's the only places I've seen him throw the Mako3.

I guess he could throw the Mako3 on straight shots if he loses a beat in Roc3, too.

But it seems like a pretty beat Roc3 could do that shot too. I mean I am not questioning his choice cause he has 4 world championships and I suck. Just kind of interested.

I've wondered the same thing for years. I have a few Mako3s & I can see why he likes them. They're good discs. I don't know why he just doesn't use a beat McPro Roc3.

He threw the Mako a lot at (I think) Winthrop? Uphill, right bending fairways. It turns more than his McPros, or at least turns quicker. I like the feel of the Mako3... must be my Mako3 though because I couldnt throw it the way he does. My Nova is also flawed... I think I hit 225 with it. Bad run maybe? ...lol :p

Lots of guys who throw baseline Rocs (I'll include KC and MC Pro in that category) also like a Champ US mid for: (1) full power pulls in the trees, where a really hard knock can put a hurt on a nicely seasoned baseline disc; or, (2) where they might lose a disc.

I am not speaking about why Paul does it, but lots of guys do that. See, e.g., Steve Brinster's ITB.

Last edited:
The video being taken in Texas could also explain why it doesn't show the Star Thunderbird he had in Europe as well.

is the star thunderbird he had at Konopiste a stock run or is one of the Big Jerm Thunderbirds?

Like I said in the other thread, I find it interesting that he is throwing AJ destroyers... and not the ones a bunch of local guys are throwing...

Looks like the firm plastic PD2 top run. He's been throwing that run for several years. I remember the first one he threw on film a bunch was more yellow and less green.

I suspect they have more glide/a better forward finish than the early super OS PMB run. The hand feel is also different.

Once I saw him throwing this run, I hoarded up a bin full. I'm sure he has a full box!