• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pdga b teir

. The only reason there is a "debate" about player pack, its value, and how to count it, is because we're expected something more than the spirit of an organized competitive event. But that's our history.

I've railed against this a lot.

But the related problem is that we've inflated entry fees to cover players packs and prize payouts. We're bribing people to show up, with their own money. My wish to only pay for organized competition, with nothing else in return, is also a wish for moderate entry fees. Then, I'll make a choice whether to buy for myself, something I want, with the money I didn't spend on entries.

It depends on the event and who you expect to show. We've done some unsanctioned events in the past that didn't have any payout. This was fine with most of our regulars that showed up. We're doing a sanctioned c-tier for the first time, and we're running it similar to our other events. We decided just am right now top keep thing simple.
Rec is $25 dollars, and that covers our major costs. We've got about $10 in overhead since we're using a golf course as one of our venues and have green fees. The other divisions go up from there, and the difference is the payout ($10 payout each for $35 entree, $20 each for $45). We've kept rec really low price because we have a ton of casuals who arent PDGA thatll get hit with the $10 fee. We have some other things we sell at the event, and get a bit from that.
This works for our group, and while I don't post that info on the site, I'd tell anyone that wanted to know. I've always kept good records of the money spent on this, so if anyone complained I could easily show them. Our last tournament we put a couple hundred dollars into course upgrades and had about $80 left over. That $80 went to the University that hosts the event, so the club more or less broke even, aside from a few things we bought that we can use for future tournaments.
If we wanted to be a bit more serious, we'd probably drop the players pack down and go with a bigger payout. We do a spring and fall tournament, maybe one will be PDGA and the other not in the future. We'll see.
There's an adult soapbox event that runs every year, and a big complaint against them is lack of transparency concerning money, so I think that's something that TD's should be open about.

As a club president, TD/CoTD to provide this information ahead of time creates more work for an already overworked unpaid volunteer. There are players that don't show, switch division, or some added sponsorship comes in that makes these figures change. When we hold events we post the payouts at lunch time after 1st round when you know none of the information is going to change.

This is great, I wish this was the norm. It has happened at <50% of the events I have played.

Criticism is fine, but the majority of people who complain about AM payouts, have never ran an event or even helped with an event.

I have run 5 unsanctioned events as well as 4 5Ks and run multiple intramural leagues and tournaments. My experience tells me transparency and managing expectations are important; I think the payout matters to a lot of folks.

I have run 5 unsanctioned events as well as 4 5Ks and run multiple intramural leagues and tournaments. My experience tells me transparency and managing expectations are important; I think the payout matters to a lot of folks.

Particularly the managing expectations part.

Perhaps even more important for a non-sanctioned event, since a B-tier comes with certain expectations.

Often tournaments with big players packs, or big prize payouts, promote those aspects, so you have an idea. You might assume that if they're promoting one and not the other, the other is modest.

Some transparency helps deter complaints. I'll publish the payout calculations for everyone to see. I'm not publishing my expenses, because I doubt anyone cares, and it's not worth the effort.

Latest posts