• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA gripes

It's not a "gripe" on my part... but being a first time applicant, I would have really appreciated seeing on the site that shipping the package would take 3 - 4 weeks. It's also been almost a week since I applied, and I've yet to receive the "order processing" e-mail with my PDGA number.

I don't mind waiting, and I don't think anyone does, it's just the lack of information. If the PDGA is behind that far in applications, hire a few more people. If it's only one person doing all of this now, hiring more would cut the time in half.

Again, lack of communication and detail is the issue here. Especially on the website. This is not a major problem, and it has a simple fix. Clarification and (general) ETAs are always appreciated in this modern world. Perhaps it's just time to look at the system and revamp it to accommodate modern time frame requests.

I joined to support my favorite sport, it just appears that customer consideration has been overlooked in some regard.

It's also been almost a week since I applied, and I've yet to receive the "order processing" e-mail with my PDGA number.

Hiring new staff to expedite processing and shipping may not be easy.

But, it would be convenient - and it doesn't seem obviously impossible - if online new membership orders automatically generated an email with a new PDGA number.

Maybe it would require some scarce or expensive programming time to get it started, if the technology doesn't currently exist. (Imagine some hooded scribe descending by candle light into the archives, opening a leather bound tome, dipping a quill in an ink well, and writing your name next to the master list of PDGA numbers. Then going back upstairs and emailing it to you.)

I don't mind waiting, and I don't think anyone does, it's just the lack of information. If the PDGA is behind that far in applications, hire a few more people. If it's only one person doing all of this now, hiring more would cut the time in half.
In case you haven't read the last 140 posts, it would also cost money which it may not have, which would mean memberships and other fees would have to go up to pay for those people's services.

A lot of people here don't seem to understand that when it comes to a service, this little maxim always applies...

Three_kinds_of_service3.gif

The PDGA is actually thinking about canning there "Fulfillment Center" and next year may handle their shipping of the membership packages themselves.

I am not one to bash the PDGA publically and i am a 9 year member. but i still have not received my renewal package and i renewed the last week of January. after a couple of e-mails with Sara in the home office she suggested what i stated above may be happening.

This needs to happen. i have followed the proper chanels of one being patient. Two sending a polite e-mial and three sending a more strongly worded e-mail as to the where abouts of my membership pacakge. all have recieved replys but alas here we are almost in May and nothing in the mail yet:thmbdown:

In case you haven't read the last 140 posts, it would also cost money which it may not have, which would mean memberships and other fees would have to go up to pay for those people's services.

A lot of people here don't seem to understand that when it comes to a service, this little maxim always applies...

Three_kinds_of_service3.gif

False. Justin at CommunityDiscs does incredibly fast shipping, excellent customer service, and his prices are unbeatale. And he does it all by himself.

I'd pay an extra 10 bucks ($10 x 16,000 people = enough to pay hefty salary) to see a better shipping time than a month. A month is ridiculous, this isn't a home-shopping network where you should expect a 3 - 4 week delivery.

Hiring new staff to expedite processing and shipping may not be easy.

But, it would be convenient - and it doesn't seem obviously impossible - if online new membership orders automatically generated an email with a new PDGA number.

Maybe it would require some scarce or expensive programming time to get it started, if the technology doesn't currently exist. (Imagine some hooded scribe descending by candle light into the archives, opening a leather bound tome, dipping a quill in an ink well, and writing your name next to the master list of PDGA numbers. Then going back upstairs and emailing it to you.)

This is hilarious. I actually feel better thinking of it this way. :popcorn:

But again, the issue isn't the actual time frame, I just wanted to know what to expect instead of having to call in and be told it'd be a month. I don't see how anyone could misconstrue this as a meaningless complaint. We should at least be informed in this "age of information." Instant gratification rarely happens, even with the help of the internet. I just want better communication. I don't believe that is too much to ask.

Totally unrelated, but it made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBIVRwvUeE

I canceled my application and requested a refund. I was told end of summer/October was the slowest time of the year. I'm going to apply again then in hopes of a little better service.

Also, if you sign up in October you get the remaining months in the year + a full year. Hopefully some changes will be made by then.

I don't need membership because I want to play in a tournament, I just want to support the sport. I just think this system is flawed and I'm honestly a bit disappointed in the disorganization.

Last edited:
I canceled my application and requested a refund. I was told end of summer/October was the slowest time of the year. I'm going to apply again then in hopes of a little better service.

Also, if you sign up in October you get the remaining months in the year + a full year. Hopefully some changes will be made by then.

I don't need membership because I want to play in a tournament, I just want to support the sport. I just think this system is flawed and I'm honestly a bit disappointed in the disorganization.

So you'd rather wait until October instead of waiting a few weeks?? :confused:

You bought a membership and as soon as your payment is processed your membership is active. Why is it so important to have the membership package in hand??

False. Justin at CommunityDiscs does incredibly fast shipping, excellent customer service, and his prices are unbeatable. And he does it all by himself.
Not false, as 'fast' and 'excellent' are subjective observations. 'Unbeatable' is something that needs more objective proof than someone on a forum saying so. If you feel you got all three from a particular service, its perhaps because your expectations were reasonable, or you valued one or two of those aspects more and didn't care that the others weren't what they could have been.

You bought a membership and as soon as your payment is processed your membership is active. Why is it so important to have the membership package in hand??

Some questions are best left unasked...:|

I think some folks on here just derive enjoyment out of being pompous gadflies. God knows the PDGA has had no shortage of them.

Good question, there is nothing in the membership package that I have needed yet. A Stalker, a mini, the PDGA card, a magazine, etc...

Should have gotten an email a day or two after you paid for your membership with your new PDGA #. Paid for mine on a Thursday, had the # on Friday and played in a tourney that Saturday. Sure the package took 3-4 weeks but the PDGA # and membership was activated promptly. Bummer, sorry for your loss.

Rule book? A lot easier than trying to look it up online in the middle of a round.

Just make sure you familiarize yourself with the rulebook. It makes looking up rules on the spot much easier.

Or you could always print it out yourself. It's not a particularly large document.

Good question, there is nothing in the membership package that I have needed yet. A Stalker, a mini, the PDGA card, a magazine, etc...

Should have gotten an email a day or two after you paid for your membership with your new PDGA #. Paid for mine on a Thursday, had the # on Friday and played in a tourney that Saturday. Sure the package took 3-4 weeks but the PDGA # and membership was activated promptly. Bummer, sorry for your loss.

I did not get an e-mail with my PDGA number for almost a week. Then after reading how others have gone months without receiving a package, the two did not bode well with me. I don't want my money sitting somewhere when I received less than par service, no number, and no confirmation.

I shall state once again that the package does nothing for me. If I wanted it that bad, I would sit and wait a month no problem. The issue, as I've stated before is that I felt like I was left in the dark. It seems others are experiencing the same lack of satisfaction with the communication. Why the hell would I "need" and whine about a package that I need nothing it contains? When people have complaints and they are not addressed properly, this causes backlash. A simple paragraph explaining the timeline of the process would be invaluable, you just can't argue with that. Proper communication shows a company in a positive light.

Not false, as 'fast' and 'excellent' are subjective observations. 'Unbeatable' is something that needs more objective proof than someone on a forum saying so. If you feel you got all three from a particular service, its perhaps because your expectations were reasonable, or you valued one or two of those aspects more and didn't care that the others weren't what they could have been.

I have found no online retailer who sells discs for cheaper, unless you buy from an individual on a forum. If you can point me to a cheaper, faster, and more personalized customer experience, please do. I buy discs far too often to not get the cheapest price.

I'm genuinely interested to know if you've found somewhere better. Justin has always personalized my packages, shipped fast, and has even taken an interest in knowing how I've been doing, all while offering the cheapest I've seen.

All the proof I need is where I buy from. I've found nothing cheaper, so you should provide some proof yourself, otherwise combating my claims are just as useless.

Rule book? A lot easier than trying to look it up online in the middle of a round.

Oops, knew I forgot something... :doh:

Although technically I haven't had to use it yet. I did give it a read through when it arrived, but had a pretty good understanding of the fundamentals already. I do carry it in my bag at all times. Good catch.

Id say InfiniteDiscs waffle stomps Community in every aspect aside from shipping g costs. That dollar shipping is rad. But yes, it just shows that you cant please everyone all the time...as people ha e different priorities.

My main gripe with the PDGA is the temp fees. Ive never seen it personally, but in theory it would be possible to just pay temp fees forever, stay in a lower division then you are capable of, and take home prizes all day long. Day of sign-ups are notorious for this. Luckily they get found out pretty quick, and word gets around so they aren't allowed into other local tourneys, but still..

It also is a tad unprofessional. I have a friend who plays 2 to 3 sanctioned tourneys a year. He has never been a PDGA member and I can see why...why pay 50 when you can just pay 30? But the poo t is that the PDGA is basically saying that their oeginization ia not worth it. They are (unintentionally) implying that there is no reason to join their oeginization unless you play 5 or more tournamanets a year....and that's a pretty small segment of the DG populace. Just my two cents.

Anybody that posted any gripes on this thread is just like my ex-wife. Complains all the time to the wrong people and never get anything accomplished and expect everything to be the way they want it. The first of the year is the busiest time for PDGA with getting all the memberships and membership packages sent out. The reason they can't do them any faster is because there are thousands that need to be processed also they shouldn't have to send you anything. They are the governing body and if you want to play then you better pay. This whole thread can just be deleted it's doing nothing to promote the sport. New people that log on now may be apprehensive to joining the PDGA because of the comments. I got a novel idea. Why don't you get of you A$#$ and go throw and keep the negativity about the leaders of the sport we all love to yourself. If I worked for PDGA and new your PDGA# I would send your money back and tell you no thanks we don't need your negativity. Do you think some tudes would change if they did that? I think so and they have the right to do so. It's not right to be a part of the PDGA it is a privilege. :wall:

:popcorn:

Andy, you may be forgetting that you can't play A tiers or NT events without a membership, there is no $10 fee option offered for the biggest events. That makes a difference to folks who do want to play the big events and travel outside their local C-tier events.

Latest posts