• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA iPhone app

Until we become less cheap, we will always be the hippie stoner sport.

I'd rather play a hippie stoner sport that's laid back and fun then a more proper and gentlemanly sport, which is why i play disc golf and not golf.

As for the app.. after reading everything i would like to think that this app would be free for PDGA members. I know i had considered becoming a member, but for all the much it would do for me I declined as there are better uses of my money. Seeign things like this would be a big influence on that at a future time. In response to why should all members pay for it (through their membership fees) when it only benefits people with iphones; simply make it free to members when you make the droid version. If members don't want to take advantage of their perks then it then becomes their own decision to do so.

I'd love to be able to get this app and test it out myself, but seeing as i have a droid looks like I'll be waiting along with everyone else. Right now I've been using Easy Scorecard (not even the pro version!) and it does everything i need it to when combined with DGCR. I just input the courses I play and it works great keeping my score, the temperature, the weather, the time and date I played. For puts i just keep a second score. No it doesn't give me a tee order for each hole, but typically we can remember the order we just recorded (oh wait I forgot, we're all stoners right?). I also like the statistics function it has, and the ability to email the scorecard to everyone else I played with. Really, the only thing it's missing is a good database, and from what i read, PDGA doesn't have one either.

All that said, I love that theres been some sort of official mobile app put out (even if it doesn't have a rulebook). People who want to support the sport will, even if there is a free version, and if a paid version has a few more features you'll still get revenue. Because really, with the majority of the app coded and out there, how much cost will there really be in updates?

But seriously, I'd pay double that price for an app that does what Easy Scorecard does for my droid if it was made by DGCR.

Thanks though to the devs for taking the effort to look here and take comments, criticisms, and suggestions, and actually do something about them. Says a lot about your characters, just a shame I haven't had more impressions like that from others affiliated with PDGA.

I also agree that members should be allowed access to the app for free. The argument of 'well, I don't have an iPhone' just doesn't work for me. As an example, I can say: There are far less sanctioned tourneys out west than there are pretty much every where else in the nation; so I think I should get a discount on membership since I am essentially paying for all those east coast tourneys. Does that argument work?

Sent from my iPhone ;)

I also agree that members should be allowed access to the app for free. The argument of 'well, I don't have an iPhone' just doesn't work for me. As an example, I can say: There are far less sanctioned tourneys out west than there are pretty much every where else in the nation; so I think I should get a discount on membership since I am essentially paying for all those east coast tourneys. Does that argument work?

Sent from my iPhone ;)

There are two main reasons not to make it free for PDGA members:

1. You can't offer an app free for some group of users, and paid for others. Apple doesn't allow it.

2. PDGA members represent a key target market that is willing to pay for the app. If we don't generate revenue from the app, we can't continue developing it. The Board of Directors only agreed to fund the initial version - future development must be funded by sales.

Once we have a bigger feature set, the basic course directory and scorecard will be the foundation of a free version, which will have ads. All other advanced features will be in the paid version, and everyone that has purchased the app will continue to get all the new features at no extra cost.

If you buy the app now, you are helping fund the features that you are asking for, and you are getting the use of an excellent electronic scorecard (I'm obviously biased, but I have reviewed every single other app on the market).

-Theo

I used the PDGA app this weekend during a tournament I played in. I must say, it's the best scoring app I've used. My primary app before was DG Caddy, but I may switch. I really like that it asks you the starting hole, it was always annoying to have to scroll through holes to get to the starting hole. Entering hole information as we played was very easy. Touch edit hole info, type in the distance, click par, enter par, touch done. No need to erase the defaults. Tap players name and adjust from par. Marking penalties is easy too. Yes, we did land in the water a few times, all discs were recovered. Finishing the round was a little odd the first time. The next hole button changes to finish which I didn't notice. I also like that the scorecard view is orientation sensitive so you can switch to landscape and see 8 holes instead of the 4 in portrait mode.

I was going to email the scores to people but when I saw it attached a CSV file I decided not to. I just tried it now and my iOS device does render it as a table which is slick, but it still comes through as comma separated values in my other mail programs. What was the purpose of sending a CSV file? I'm used to apps sending an image or HTML table.

Is there some way to upload my course info since I entered it? For the courses I downloaded from the PDGA database, the pars and distances aren't set.

Overall, a great app. I'll use it again for sure.

CSV file is more functional for tracking your scoring data and doing stats in Excel.

Upgrades dealing with self entered course hole information may not come about until the PDGA Course Directory is upgraded to include multiple tee and pin length and par information for each hole.

I used the PDGA app this weekend during a tournament I played in. I must say, it's the best scoring app I've used. My primary app before was DG Caddy, but I may switch. I really like that it asks you the starting hole, it was always annoying to have to scroll through holes to get to the starting hole. Entering hole information as we played was very easy. Touch edit hole info, type in the distance, click par, enter par, touch done. No need to erase the defaults. Tap players name and adjust from par. Marking penalties is easy too. Yes, we did land in the water a few times, all discs were recovered. Finishing the round was a little odd the first time. The next hole button changes to finish which I didn't notice. I also like that the scorecard view is orientation sensitive so you can switch to landscape and see 8 holes instead of the 4 in portrait mode.

I was going to email the scores to people but when I saw it attached a CSV file I decided not to. I just tried it now and my iOS device does render it as a table which is slick, but it still comes through as comma separated values in my other mail programs. What was the purpose of sending a CSV file? I'm used to apps sending an image or HTML table.

Is there some way to upload my course info since I entered it? For the courses I downloaded from the PDGA database, the pars and distances aren't set.

Overall, a great app. I'll use it again for sure.

Thanks for the great feedback! It's really nice to hear a review like this.

I think you have a great point. There's no reason we can't send the HTML inline and the CSV attachment together. In the future, we can add a setting to control whether you want one or the other or both.

By the way - where do you live in Maine? My family is from Bangor, and I was just visiting my brother Alex (a New England pro disc golfer) in Portland (Me, not OR, where I live!).

-Theo Pozzy

By the way - where do you live in Maine? My family is from Bangor, and I was just visiting my brother Alex (a New England pro disc golfer) in Portland (Me, not OR, where I live!).

I'm just outside of Augusta. Bangor and Portland are about an hour in opposite directions. Lots of great courses in the area.

Just a random thought. I think it would be awesome to be able to email the CSV file from the PDGA app to DGCR and have it added to our scorebook. Hrm, now I'm wondering if I could hack up a script to do that myself.

Theo,

Not a bad app so far - I really like the flow and ease of use. It's got the potential to be great.

I have a unique situation/bug that I'm hoping you can comment on. My 18 hole course is listed, but without distances so I added them in manually for each hole. When I am done a round and select the round rating option, it asks me whether i want to use the total distance I've entered, or another. Once I click the distance already entered, it shows looking up course data for a second the program the program closes.

I've tried the round rating feature of a course with a preset distance already in the database, and it produced a pretty accurate rating, so that worked.

Any idea what may be happening to cause the crash? The course is in the directory but without distances, so something about entering distances is causing the crash.

Last edited:
This is the second report of an issue related to ratings calculations when entering the hole distances in the app. The other report was about a display issue with the three distance options overlapping. We'll take a look at this. Thanks for the report, and glad you like the flow - that's one of the things we worked very hard on!

-Theo

We passed the 1,000 mark for paid copies of the PDGA iPhone app last week, and we're very appreciative of your support! The sales have exceeded our expectations, and are going to be key in convincing the decision makers (primarily the PDGA Board of Directors) that we should continue the investment in the app.

We are committed to providing updates and new features. Your input and feedback is being collected and is very helpful.

Thank you!

-The PDGA iPhone app dev team

I just wish that the app would not crash every time I try and calculate a round rating. Other then that it's a great app!

I'd like to see an option in the course view to edit hole info. The flow is good for entering distance and par while playing the round, but if I have a scorecard in front of me and want to enter the whole thing I have to start a round to do so.

I just wish that the app would not crash every time I try and calculate a round rating. Other then that it's a great app!

This is the first I have heard about this type of crash. Can you please provide me more details about how you are reproducing this problem? Can you make it happen every time?

-Theo

I'd like to see an option in the course view to edit hole info. The flow is good for entering distance and par while playing the round, but if I have a scorecard in front of me and want to enter the whole thing I have to start a round to do so.

We've had a couple of requests to be able to get to the saved course list and to edit the details. We'll add this to the list! Thanks for your feedback.

-Theo

i have an issue where if i delete a player i mistakenly selected they still show up at the end when it hit "finish" after Hole 18 and it permanently marks the round as incomplete since no scores were entered for them. i can go back into the round and delete the player through the edit player option, but the deleted player is listed in the results with no scores when i cycle back through and press finish again.

maybe there is more to just removing the player from the selection edit menu?

i have an issue where if i delete a player i mistakenly selected they still show up at the end when it hit "finish" after Hole 18 and it permanently marks the round as incomplete since no scores were entered for them. i can go back into the round and delete the player through the edit player option, but the deleted player is listed in the results with no scores when i cycle back through and press finish again.

maybe there is more to just removing the player from the selection edit menu?

Had the same thing happen to me this weekend, I thought I got the added player removed but he keeps showing up.
The course I played has multiple tees and 27 holes, 9 are x holes not used in tournament play. Is it correct that I need to create new 18 hole courses for each tee and then can not get ratings? Or is there a way to use the apps course and get a rating?

I like the app. Looks good and easy to use. Worked quick and easy during tournament play. Thanks for your efforts and continued development.

Every time I play a course and then try and calculate the rating it crashes EVERY time guaranteed. It also crashes when you go to previous rounds, and then try to calculate a rating that way as well.

This is the first I have heard about this type of crash. Can you please provide me more details about how you are reproducing this problem? Can you make it happen every time?

-Theo

Last edited:

Latest posts