• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

Me:
Rounds: 130
1000+: 1
980+: 3
960+: 14
Under 900: 36

Best: 1000
Dretzka at MXG 2017, all 27 in short pins, from short tees. Birdie fest -13.

Worst: 828
Justin Trails in 2015. A 58 on Classic. Wow. What a round.

They've lowered the bottom limit for MPO 3 years in a row now. 4 points away and I'm going to be forced to get my ass handed to me on the regular.

They've lowered the bottom limit for MPO 3 years in a row now. 4 points away and I'm going to be forced to get my ass handed to me on the regular.

?... There is no bottom limit. If you're over 970(and registered as a pro) you can still play in ADV except at Majors.

I'll play along. I'll have the rating breakdowns according to the PDGA "suggested" guidelines for mixed divisions.

My stats

Total rounds: 296
1000+: 10
970-999: 84
935-969: 138
900-934: 114
851-899: 77
Under 850: 5

Best: 1032
Worst: 783
Average: 938.5

What bottom limit? They've changed nothing about divisional ratings guidelines in over a decade. Well, at least not for the "M" divisions. I think they might have tweaked the female divisions more recently.

Unless you're a pro member already, you can never be forced to play a pro division.

Also, FWIW, this new feature showing everyone's full history has been available for a few months now.

Also, FWIW, this new feature showing everyone's full history has been available for a few months now.

I figured it was probably there for a bit but since I haven't been current since '17 I haven't dug that far into a player's stats in awhile. Accidently stumbled across it while looking at Arlinghaus' stats after that thread popped up earlier.

Also, this year the PDGA will be updating player ratings monthly.

Starting in April of 2019, PDGA ratings updates will occur on the second Tuesday of every month.

Report Deadline......Ratings Publication Date
January 8, 2019 ......January 29, 2019
February 5, 2019......February 26, 2019
February 26, 2019......March 19, 2019
April 4, 2019......April 9, 2019
May 9, 2019......May 14, 2019
June 6, 2019......June 11, 2019
July 4, 2019......July 9, 2019
August 8, 2019......August 13, 2019
September 5, 2019......September 10, 2019
October 3, 2019 ......October 8, 2019
November 7, 2019......November 12, 2019
December 5, 2019......December 10, 2019
January 9, 2020 ......January 14, 2020
February 6, 2019......February 11, 2019

What bottom limit? They've changed nothing about divisional ratings guidelines in over a decade. Well, at least not for the "M" divisions. I think they might have tweaked the female divisions more recently.

Unless you're a pro member already, you can never be forced to play a pro division.

I'm pretty sure 985 was the limit for the MA1 division a few years back, then it went to 975, and right now it's at 970. I thought if you went over, you couldn't play it?

Attachments

• ratings guideline.JPG
    ratings guideline.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 21
MA1 has never has a cap that required a player to enter the pro division. The 970 rating means a pro has to be under that rating to enter Am divisions in events that are not Am Majors. Pretty sure that 970 has been there for quite a while.

MA1 has never has a cap that required a player to enter the pro division. The 970 rating means a pro has to be under that rating to enter Am divisions in events that are not Am Majors. Pretty sure that 970 has been there for quite a while.

It started at 955 and then was raised to 970, but that was probably 13 years ago.

It started at 955 and then was raised to 970, but that was probably 13 years ago.
In 2005, the PDGA started to allow pros to enter am divisions if they had ratings below 955. My docs show it changed to below 970 in 2009.

I'm pretty sure 985 was the limit for the MA1 division a few years back, then it went to 975, and right now it's at 970. I thought if you went over, you couldn't play it?

As Chuck and MTL have said, 970 only applies to pros playing in MA1, not for all players playing MA1. It even says that specifically in the table you attached to your post ("Pros Playing Am"). As long as a player is classified as an amateur, they can play MA1 forever. Take a look at Am Worlds and US Amateur results...inevitably, the winner always enters the tournament with a rating over 970. Often it's most of the top 5-10 players with such ratings.

Amateurs have never been and hopefully will never be forced to play a professional division.

As Chuck and MTL have said, 970 only applies to pros playing in MA1, not for all players playing MA1. It even says that specifically in the table you attached to your post ("Pros Playing Am"). As long as a player is classified as an amateur, they can play MA1 forever. Take a look at Am Worlds and US Amateur results...inevitably, the winner always enters the tournament with a rating over 970. Often it's most of the top 5-10 players with such ratings.

Amateurs have never been and hopefully will never be forced to play a professional division.

I played a good round in Open once, my only 1000+ rated, and cashed in 3rd, so I'm listed as a professional, even with my MA1 level rating.

I'll just have to step up my game.

I played a good round in Open once, my only 1000+ rated, and cashed in 3rd, so I'm listed as a professional, even with my MA1 level rating.

I'll just have to step up my game.

That happened to me and then I felt dumb when renewal time rolled around. Extra $25/year to register as a pro, and I only made something like $35 for cashing in Open. I petitioned the PDGA to move me back to Am status.

After another drop on my downward spiral of ratings despair I posted up the idea in Reddit of what your rating would like if you just took the average of your top ten rounds ever. This immediately made my fragile ego feel better and from now on I will be calling myself a 978 rated player instead of facing the harsh reality :)

Funny, mine would be 994. Now if I took my 10 best CURRENT ratings I would only rated 970. Which is actually 1 point higher than I was at my peak. I have some more ground to make up before I can officially say "I'm Back!"...

Down closer to reality with another 5 point drop. 908 is probably about how I play right now. :(

Latest posts