• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

Up a couple to 945 again. Feels like I've been hanging around this level most of the year. Feels like I'm on the verge of breaking out a little bit, as the floor for my poor rounds seems to be roughly 1 stroke below my rating for the most part.

Down one. Thought it was gunna be worse. Haven't played any events in a while. I hope to maybe get one or two more in.

Quick question about round ratings.
How could a round of the same score be rated differently?

For example, if I shoot Par the first round and Par the second round,shouldn't these round ratings be the same (assuming the course was not changed between rounds)?

For example, if I shoot Par the first round and Par the second round,shouldn't these round ratings be the same (assuming the course was not changed between rounds)?

It depends what the propagators shot during the round.

They ABSOLUTELY will be the same AFTER the rounds are averaged together during the FINAL ratings update.

They will be TERMPORARILY different because the different scores shot by the individuals... but I've never seen the the same score with different ratings AFTER the final update.

They ABSOLUTELY will be the same AFTER the rounds are averaged together during the FINAL ratings update.

They will be TERMPORARILY different because the different scores shot by the individuals... but I've never seen the the same score with different ratings AFTER the final update.

Incorrect. Played in a tourney in 2017, shot the same score both rounds, first round was 864, second was 925.

Yeah, IDK what Scotty is talking about. They can and usually will be different because the conditions can and usually will be different.

At the very least, even if weather is identical, everyone is now either warmed up and playing better in round 2, or tired and playing worse.

Ratings are based on how the propagators shoot, so unless they all shoot the same both rounds, the ratings won't be the same.

Nope typically the field plays better the second time around a course using the same layout. There are other factors that can play into the second to scores to be rated higher, the two most prevalent, fatigue from a hotter second round on a long course or a change in the weather (winds picks up or rain only during the second round).

Yeah, IDK what Scotty is talking about. They can and usually will be different because the conditions can and usually will be different.

At the very least, even if weather is identical, everyone is now either warmed up and playing better in round 2, or tired and playing worse.

Ratings are based on how the propagators shoot, so unless they all shoot the same both rounds, the ratings won't be the same.

I think Scotty talking about the same score in the same round.

It depends what the propagators shot during the round.

Incorrect. Played in a tourney in 2017, shot the same score both rounds, first round was 864, second was 925.

Nope typically the field plays better the second time around a course using the same layout. There are other factors that can play into the second to scores to be rated higher, the two most prevalent, fatigue from a hotter second round on a long course or a change in the weather (winds picks up or rain only during the second round).

Thanks for the input. Here is some additional context

Weather:
The same for both rounds. If anything, it started to get bad at the end of the 2nd round. But, overall, negligible changes in weather.

PAR: 61
Round 1: 61 = 952 rated
Round 2: 61 = 944 rated

Hot Round
Rd. 1: 53
Rd. 2: 52

Worst Round
Rd. 1: 111
Rd. 2: 101

Better or Worse
It seems like a relatively even split. About 1/2 the field did better the 1st round. The other 1/2 did better the 2nd round.

Course
This was the first sanctioned event at this course on the new layout.

We need Chuck to chime in since he knows the actual math used.

But an 8 point difference for the same score is pretty close, and matches with the rest of your details (similar weather, similar scores for most of the field).

I would guess the 8 points meant better scores for the propagators, by like 1 stroke average. Look at the event page: the propagators are the folks with their rating in bold. Look only at their scores and see if they shot just slightly better the second round.

I don't know whether higher rated propagators count more or not towards calculating the SSA either..

Latest posts