• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pease no more

Unfortunately, land has to rest sometimes. White birch is suffering from soil compaction and erosion as well. Disc isn't the best thing for natural areas over long periods of time.

I played it yesterday. Someone had stolen 13th basket, but someone else had set up their own practice basket in its spot with a small sign that read, "Please Don't Steal Me." Very cool of someone to do that, but unfortunately I have to wonder if it got stolen overnight :/

it wasnt stolen, it was a privately owned basket and the owner took it before the city did. which is what i heard about alot of the baskets there

Pease lives on in Pleasant Hill, Iowa, at the intersection of Houck and Pease.

Here is a map:
http://goo.gl/maps/Fl1f

And here it is in person:
houckdrive-1.jpg

You must play Circle C When you visit Austin. East metro is a gem but a bit east of Austin. Austin ridge bible church is also a must.

Also, check out metcenter. Austin is disc golf Mecca.

All of those pale in comparison to Houck's ranch. I think it's currently closed for the holidays and maintenance. But check its availability before any trip. It is WELL worth the drive from Austin.

Unfortunately, land has to rest sometimes. White birch is suffering from soil compaction and erosion as well. Disc isn't the best thing for natural areas over long periods of time.
White Birch makes Pease look like a well-kept nature preserve. White Birch is probably in worse condition than any disc golf course I've ever seen other than one that had just been hit by a natural disaster (flooded out, hit by an ice storm, etc.)

Just to note, the disc golf course takes a lot of heat that it does not deserve at White Birch. As you drive into the park, the property on the right used to be owned by a woman with a traveling petting zoo. She had all sorts of animals on that steep slope tearing the Hell out of everything, and all that crud would roll downhill to the community center. Where the disc golf parking lot is used to be a detention pond for all that runoff. The reason the building horseshoes is that it was designed to frame the lake. The lake was torn out to put in a parking lot for the old ice arena (now the mountain bike park) and the runoff now comes out into the creek through a pipe. The water barrels down the hillside at the old Cindy's Farm site, under the building and parking lot and slams into the creek on the hillside by #18, tearing the crap out of everything. Then all the sediment from Cindy's Farm settles in the creek and backs everything up. There was a similar situation at one point behind # 15, as the gully between # 15 and # 16 drained into a pipe that ran under the path and down the hillside, but they never bothered to clean that out so it packed with mud and stopped draining. The big gully behind # 2 is a sinkhole that starts in a neighbors property; one day it's gonna eat his house. The maintenance department used to pour leftover asphalt from street jobs into the gully next to the swimming pool parking lot, so that has created even more erosion issues in the park.

So yes and no on disc golf creating problems in White Birch. Certainly the compacted soil and erosion on the hillside where 1-9 are is a result of heavy use and not properly landscaping the hill. The problems with the creek and the sinkhole are not the result of the disc golf course, it's the result of poor land management. Disc golf is just the scapegoat for the City screwing the pooch with that site. I'm not sure about the specifics at Pease, but I would not be surprised if some dubious land management played a big part in the problems at that site, and disc golf is just an easy scapegoat.

grodney,those pics bring back memories. God man,im gonna miss this ourse. Last time I played the capitol hole when it was arranged that way was several yrs ago. And that tree on 9,heh man I havnt seen that in forever. Thanks for posting those. Makes me proud to of played it as much as I have.

garrett..u already know I'm down !

as for musts,grodney said it

circ c
east metro in manor(true hidden gem )
ridgeline (they just put in the rest of the baskets except for hole #18. But it's still 19 holes of elevation hanging,technical wonders with the bonus holes)
metcenter -very nice as long as it doesn't rain

hopefully when you cme down,the weather stays good or gets better. It's been in the mid 60's lately with the random 40 degree or 80 degree odd ball days.lmk!!

it's been in the 30s/low 40s for basically a month, and all the snow we got on Christmas just melted. 60s sound downright tropical!

yep. Nothin like wearing shorts and a tshir to work in tx winter lol. I hate playing golf in a hoodie and sweats.so we'll see how it goes. Move ur ass down here already :hfive:

I had sent a message to John Houck the other day via email because I am going to be heading through TX including Austin. I would like to meet up for a round or simply to talk disc golf course design because I am trying to get into that aspect of the game. Anyone have more contact info or perhaps another email address for me to try and reach him?