• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Perkins Park in danger of being pulled

truk

Par Member
I just got a voicemail from one of the Green Bay Rec supervisors saying that Perkins Park is probably going to be pulled, unless they can get some strong support at the next Parks Committee meeting scheduled for next Wednesday (04/18/12).

My public speaking skills are not the best, but I definitely plan to be there to voice some positive support for the course! Anybody else looking to help out is more than welcome, so hit me up with some testimonials or PM me and I'll get you his contact info.

Talked to some guys at Triangle Hill this morning and it sounds like there have been a few instances where big turnover shots on hole 5 Red might be getting into some of the backyards boardering it.

If that's all it is, hopefully it's not too late either adjust the pin placement or at least throw up a warning sign about respecting property lines.

I'd call the Rec Supervisor back and find out what the specific issues are. If it's a design problem, altering the course is a much more logical response than pulling the whole thing.

Not my favorite course in the area, but that doesn't matter. Never like to hear of a course getting pulled. I'll see what I can do as far as making a presence/contacting appropriate parties. Sounds like the chuckers are ruining things for the DG community once again.

Request by Ald. Deneys on Behalf of Tim Brennan and Home Owner on North Locust Street to Discuss Their Concerns Pertaining to the Disc Golf Course at Perkins Park

by the way that's worded id have to its the chuckers ruining it for us. Just gotta show the parks committee that there is actually DGers that aren't total douche bags, since that's all the pubic seems to see.

I'd call the Rec Supervisor back and find out what the specific issues are. If it's a design problem, altering the course is a much more logical response than pulling the whole thing.

Done.

First off, this will be one of the main agenda items at the meeting and it's scheduled towards the beginning, but there will be other big things as well, so anyone attending: plan to look presentable and prepare to quietly sit through some stuff you probably don't care about. The meeting is scheduled to start at 5PM, so plan to be there slightly beforehand to avoid any interruptions. City Hall has metered parking, so bring change or plan to park in one of the area ramps.

The main objector (house to the right of hole 5/14) has done a lot of background work calling up lawyers and gathering signatures to have the course pulled immediately. Her main complaint stems from discs hitting her garage, but also includes reports of lewd conduct and "dogs running all over the place".

The City is siding with the park and Disc Golf community, arguing that plenty of groundwork was done beforehand to make sure the course would be a good fit for the area and that anybody with concerns had their chance to object. At the very least, they would like to offer to make appropriate changes to the course and attempt to control the other issues on an enforcement basis.

I think a pretty strong argument can the brought on all of the charges.

Dogs are not allowed off-leash on any City park property, so I think that's a throw-away argument. The lewd acts...well, that does tend to come up when "chuckers" are involved, but again, it's a park and the same stuff can be observed on softball diamonds and b-ball courts, so that's probably down to assuring better enforcement.

I think the errant disc issue can be easily resolved as well. Currently hole 5/14's basket (shots off 14's tee are the main issue) lies to the right of a drainage ditch and the suggested shot is a long, controlled turnover following the ditch, between the woods and several big trees to the right. From the tee, there is also the opportunity to bomb-hyzer around the big trees and approach from the greenspace between the park and the houses...but that also opens it up for a headwind to flip the drives over towards the houses. Tucking the basket into the woods on the left side of the ditch eliminates appeal of that shot and still keeps the main feature of the hole (long, straight shot over potential creek).

Hopefully that will be enough to keep the course in the ground for a while.

I played this course yesterday and was wondering how anyone could even get close to hitting a house. I guess now that you mention it on 5/14 if someone really sucks they could end up in someones yard but that would be a really, really terrible throw. I could see if someone threw a forehand and lost it in the wind, or a backhand hyzer attempt around the trees with an understable disc and wind takes it. But jeez, if u hit a house or end up in someones yard at this course, you just plain suck and should give your discs to your dog to play with.

I will help any way possible, that course is just down the road from work and I play 3 rounds a week there. I would hate to see it pulled.

I talked to the Rec Supervisor in person today and it sort of sounds like the discs hitting the house thing was maybe hypothetical and she just wants the park to go back to a vacant swamp full of homeless people. :\

Anyway, I'm really glad they're putting up a fight to keep it.

I talked to the Rec Supervisor in person today and it sort of sounds like the discs hitting the house thing was maybe hypothetical and she just wants the park to go back to a vacant swamp full of homeless people. :\

Anyway, I'm really glad they're putting up a fight to keep it.

The input here, is that all land purchasers on the edge of park property, purchased said land, thinking they would have a wonderful, and largely empty, park view for the rest of their days. That land didn't come cheap, in most cases, and so they believe they are entitled to the purchase they thought they were making. The fact that they usually have money, weighs in thier favor. Property taxes often speak louder than hippy golfers.

The input here, is that all land purchasers on the edge of park property, purchased said land, thinking they would have a wonderful, and largely empty, park view for the rest of their days. That land didn't come cheap, in most cases, and so they believe they are entitled to the purchase they thought they were making. The fact that they usually have money, weighs in thier favor. Property taxes often speak louder than hippy golfers.

I think this is the real issue. People living there are sick of looking out their windows and seeing random groups of people walking around all day every day. I'm sure normal golfers wouldnt bother them as much. Its probably the groups of thugs and kids with the cocked hats and pants around their knees smoking and drinking that give it a bad rap.

Unfortunately, yes. In this case, they were budget homes thrown up in 2 weeks in the 60's and most have probably changed hands 10 times since then, but I'm sure your take is closer to the picture she painted when she got her Alderman on the phone.

Hopefully the counter-argument that it is in the best interest of a much larger tax base that the property be put to use vs. just sitting idle for the same upkeep cost (lawnmower gas, tree pruning, a few token police calls).

Offer to paint a mural on her fence.

If it's the house I think it is, they just tore down a fence and started putting up a new one, and then suddenly tore that all down and left the yard looking like a minefield.

Maybe they got dinged by the city inspectors for lacking a permit and just want to make life miserable for everyone now.

All this talk about Perkins Park makes me want to play it. I think some of us should meet up and play a round sometime. It's only about a ten minute drive for me.

*HAPPY UPDATE*
After an nearly 2 hour meeting, it has been decided that not only should the park remain open, but the committee and Alderman learned a great deal about the enthusiasm of the Disc Golf community. Changes/improvements are in the works and should be brought forth in the near future.

There was a lot of great support on our side and I think that really caught the group that wanted it closed off guard. The did have some very solid complaints, but a lot of them (flooding, trees not being replaced, chuckers) were shared amongst everyone and not at all the fault of the recently added course.

Great job to everyone that attended and...score one for the dirty hippies! :p

*HAPPY UPDATE*
After an nearly 2 hour meeting, it has been decided that not only should the park remain open, but the committee and Alderman learned a great deal about the enthusiasm of the Disc Golf community. Changes/improvements are in the works and should be brought forth in the near future.

There was a lot of great support on our side and I think that really caught the group that wanted it closed off guard. The did have some very solid complaints, but a lot of them (flooding, trees not being replaced, chuckers) were shared amongst everyone and not at all the fault of the recently added course.

Great job to everyone that attended and...score one for the dirty hippies! :p

Glad to see it wen't well. Hate to see a course go down. how many people showed up to support your side?