• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet Peeve: foot fault run ups

BOOM!

I love playing all of these tight/long woods courses around us:)

No doubt.

It's especially important at places like Nocky. If you give the latitude to not be within the rules, you can get run ups in places you legally cannot.

I've not been playing very long, but I don't see it as hard to hit your mark in a fairway. I just step it off like you would a place kick. Doing that, you should know where your foot is going to land without having to focus too much on it. If you don't have that room, then just take a step.

I've seen people fault on their run-ups, usually to the side a bit to try to avoid obstacles, but I've never seen anyone off by FEET left or right. I don't know how they wouldn't be totally aware of that. Friendly reminder the first time, then drop the hammer.

Here comes the 'stand and deliver' crowd, oh boy. Move this stupid thread to the water cooler where it belongs.

In a self policied sport, it is our responsibility to call these on each other. If you see one and don't call it, it's just as much your fault as it is the players.

I have seen this, I am guilty of this at times as well, but the way I think about it is, are they getting any kind of huge advantage by this? Probably not. Is anyone beating me because of this one thing? Nope

I follow the rules when I play. This means that I make sure I plant my foot directly behind the mini. This most certainly takes effort and concentration. Effort and concentration that could be used to make a more powerful, more accurate shot. I know I could do a more powerful, more accurate shot if I wasn't making sure to plant my foot in the right place. So a guy who isn't worrying about where to plant his foot definitely has an advantage over me.

Despite my efforts, I probably do miss-plant my foot once or twice per tournament. I play in the advanced division, and most people in my division probably miss plant occasionally. Say I foot fault twice in a game, but happen to be on a card where nobody cares- they notice, but don't call me. Now say someone else in my division also foot faults twice, and they happen to be on a card that notices and cares: they have two shots they have to redo and a 1 stroke penalty. I have definitely advantaged over them.

Players are definitely given an advantage when this is not called.

Here comes the 'stand and deliver' crowd, oh boy. Move this stupid thread to the water cooler where it belongs.

So you are one that can't hit your spot, eh?

Nobody is calling for stand and deliver, just bitching about people who can't follow rules.

In a self policied sport, it is our responsibility to call these on each other. If you see one and don't call it, it's just as much your fault as it is the players.

Correct. It's one of the many parts of my game I need to improve.

I follow the rules when I play. This means that I make sure I plant my foot directly behind the mini. This most certainly takes effort and concentration. Effort and concentration that could be used to make a more powerful, more accurate shot. I know I could do a more powerful, more accurate shot if I wasn't making sure to plant my foot in the right place. So a guy who isn't worrying about where to plant his foot definitely has an advantage over me.

Despite my efforts, I probably do miss-plant my foot once or twice per tournament. I play in the advanced division, and most people in my division probably miss plant occasionally. Say I foot fault twice in a game, but happen to be on a card where nobody cares- they notice, but don't call me. Now say someone else in my division also foot faults twice, and they happen to be on a card that notices and cares: they have two shots they have to redo and a 1 stroke penalty. I have definitely advantaged over them.

Great try, but this kind of speculation is a joke and highly unlikely. Why not just win by worrying about your own game and stop trying to knit-pick other players for silly crap. When I start to hear this kind of whining, I know who its coming from, its the players who do not benefit from the run-up and would rather ruin it for the rest of us than just deal with their own shortcomings. Try stepping up your own game instead

well stated and my thoughts as well

Bottom line:

Stand and deliver as a requirment is probably the most dumb "popular" rules request. I could list 10 reasons why it's awful, but that is for another thread.

And yes, requiring S&D would drastically decrease the amount of foot faults, but that doesn't mean it would eliminate them. There is still a choice of the player of where to place the foot. Even without movement, it can be a foot fault.

And look at it as slighty risk reward. If you are running up, you are gaining a lot of power. But you are risking a foot fault if you don't have it perfected.

The problem is how many people really look at peoples feet? Maybe everyone else is and I'm the outsider but I rarely find myself starring at someones foot position. Well at least for throws with runs up, standing throws it's hard not to notice a foot fault.

Bottom line:

Stand and deliver as a requirment is probably the most dumb "popular" rules request. I could list 10 reasons why it's awful, but that is for another thread.

And yes, requiring S&D would drastically decrease the amount of foot faults, but that doesn't mean it would eliminate them. There is still a choice of the player of where to place the foot. Even without movement, it can be a foot fault.

And look at it as slighty risk reward. If you are running up, you are gaining a lot of power. But you are risking a foot fault if you don't have it perfected.

bingo :clap:

The problem is how many people really look at peoples feet? Maybe everyone else is and I'm the outsider but I rarely find myself starring at someones foot position. Well at least for throws with runs up, standing throws it's hard not to notice a foot fault.

I certianly look when someone is standing still, especially at the opposite foot. But I'll also stop them ahead of time and say "that would be a foot fault if you ______"

I mean, even as a PDGA Marshal, we are instructed NOT to "lurk in the bushes to call rule violations", but there has to be a line where you do call things.

My post was basically in resoponse to the OP stating it drives him crazy when people do it. Well, there is a way around it. It doesn't drive me crazy unless it's gaining an advantage.

I still stand by the fact that if a guy is 13 inches behind his lie and an inch or two offline i'm going to let it slide if he's taking a big run up in an open field, you can hate me if you want. i said in the woods it matters and that should be a case where you giving the guy a warning.

Bottom line:

It's on topic, so please do give us your list. That is, unless you're just blowing smoke.

I still stand by the fact that if a guy is 13 inches behind his lie and an inch or two offline i'm going to let it slide if he's taking a big run up in an open field, you can hate me if you want. i said in the woods it matters and that should be a case where you giving the guy a warning.
Agreed. +1 Rep

It's on topic, so please do give us your list. That is, unless you're just blowing smoke.

Sure:

1. Injuries would be more frequent (throwing harder, knee issues from twisting)
2. Par 4's and 5's would become way less frequent (imagine throwing a perfect drive and having 400 to a pin and oops, can't run up!)
3. Golf comparison - the rules for stances and swings don't change from the tee to fairway (stances and swings have nothing to do with lies, which is the only change in rules in this situation).
4. Our sport is confusing enough for non players - this just adds to it
5. Outside of the footfault arguement, which is pointless b/c it doesn't account for the foot being placed properly or another supporting point placed incorrectly, there is no real argument that holds any merrit in support of it.
6. It's not illegal now. If you want to do it, you can do it.
7. Most rule changes are made to clarify things - very rarely have then been complete changes. This would be a complete change.
8. Too many people would have to adjust their games for it to be effective. I am in the group that wants baskets to made smaller and harder to putt, but it's too hard to destandardzie all those baskets now. Same with this throw.

That's all I got for now. But basically, I jiust don't get why people think it's such a good idea. I've never heard one good argument for it.

Latest posts