• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet Peeve: foot fault run ups

Sure:

1. Injuries would be more frequent (throwing harder, knee issues from twisting)

- That's pure speculation. Its just as likely there would be less injuries, e.g. twisted ankles on a misplaced step.

2. Par 4's and 5's would become way less frequent (imagine throwing a perfect drive and having 400 to a pin and oops, can't run up!)

- Par 4s and 5s would become more frequent because players wouldn't throw as far and there would be more available space.

3. Golf comparison - the rules for stances and swings don't change from the tee to fairway (stances and swings have nothing to do with lies, which is the only change in rules in this situation).

- I don't see the relevance but golf stances do change depending on the lie, e.g. you cannot ground your club when in a hazard.

4. Our sport is confusing enough for non players - this just adds to it

- Try to have a little confidence in the mental abilities of disc golfers. We're not all addle-brained hippies.

5. Outside of the footfault arguement, which is pointless b/c it doesn't account for the foot being placed properly or another supporting point placed incorrectly, there is no real argument that holds any merrit in support of it.

- For starters, it decreases foot faults, as you already acknowledged.

6. It's not illegal now. If you want to do it, you can do it.

-That's not the issue. We're talking about making run ups illegal outside of the tee box.

7. Most rule changes are made to clarify things - very rarely have then been complete changes. This would be a complete change.

This sounds like an extension of your argument that disc golfers are too dumb to keep track of rules.

8. Too many people would have to adjust their games for it to be effective. I am in the group that wants baskets to made smaller and harder to putt, but it's too hard to destandardzie all those baskets now. Same with this throw.

- Apples and oranges. We're talking about a rule change, not an equipment change.

I'm not convinced that disallowing run ups outside the tee box is a good idea, but it would: 1) decrease foot faults; and 2) effectively lengthen our courses which are becoming too short with new disc technology.

First off, in response to this...

"4. Our sport is confusing enough for non players - this just adds to it

- Try to have a little confidence in the mental abilities of disc golfers. We're not all addle-brained hippies."

I said "Non Players" not players, aka audiences, spectators.

Now this.

"8. Too many people would have to adjust their games for it to be effective. I am in the group that wants baskets to made smaller and harder to putt, but it's too hard to destandardzie all those baskets now. Same with this throw.

- Apples and oranges. We're talking about a rule change, not an equipment change. "

Um, it's an example, not a comparison. I was just saying it's a big destandardization that would have to occur similar to basket changes.

I'm not convinced that disallowing run ups outside the tee box is a good idea, but it would: 1) decrease foot faults; and 2) effectively lengthen our courses which are becoming too short with new disc technology.

And now this...

1. I run up and plant my foot legally. Why punish me because others don't? And you know what, a rule that says a defender can't stand within a foot of a guy with the basketball would decrease fouls, but why do it? The rule is there and there is a consequence for breaking it. Foot faults should be called when they happen, but to completely change the game because of this small rule being broken that clearly has consequences is beyond dumb in my mind. If there wasn't a rule in place penalyzing foot faults, you would have an arguement. But there is, so the foot fault arguement is null and void. As an S&D lover, you should LOVE that players can run up b/c of the amount of foot faults you can call per round!

2. So you want to change the entire sport simply because people are good at it?

SMH!

Last edited:
First off, in response to this...

"4. Our sport is confusing enough for non players - this just adds to it

- Try to have a little confidence in the mental abilities of disc golfers. We're not all addle-brained hippies."

I said "Non Players" not players, aka audiences, spectators.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a non-player spectator in this sport. Anyways, you're worried about confusing spectators? Seriously?

And now this...

1. I run up and plant my foot legally. Why punish me because others don't? And you know what, a rule that says a defender can't stand within a foot of a guy with the basketball would decrease fouls, but why do it? The rule is there and there is a consequence for breaking it. Foot faults should be called when they happen, but to completely change the game because of this small rule being broken that clearly has consequences is beyond dumb in my mind. If there wasn't a rule in place penalyzing foot faults, you would have an arguement. But there is, so the foot fault arguement is null and void. As an S&D lover, you should LOVE that players can run up b/c of the amount of foot faults you can call per round!

The rule wouldn't punish you, it would be applied to everyone. This is about protecting the integrity of the sport. Foot faults on run ups are wide spread, they provide an unfair advantage, and the rule is not enforced. The system is not working.

2. So you want to change the entire sport simply because people are good at it?

SMH!

You misunderstood me. I'm not talking player skill level, I'm talking disc technology.

It happens all the time but it's rarely called which is unfortunate because just a few inches can be a huge advantage. There's an easy fix: make stand and deliver mandatory outside of the tee box.
Or we could just all man up and call out violations of the existing rule. By not doing it because we think it makes us look like a rules nazi, we're only screwing ourselves. I see no reason to punish people who do legal run-ups to rectify the problem as they're not that hard to do.

In a self policied sport, it is our responsibility to call these on each other. If you see one and don't call it, it's just as much your fault as it is the players.
^ Winner.

Or we could just all man up and call out violations of the existing rule. By not doing it because we think it makes us look like a rules nazi, we're only screwing ourselves.

I agree, and for the record, I use a run up on my fairway shots. I call foot faults when I see them. I believe the rules obligate us to make that call. However, most people do not and it doesn't look like that will ever change. :\

No doubt.

It's especially important at places like Nocky. If you give the latitude to not be within the rules, you can get run ups in places you legally cannot.

Truth. Now THAT is a course that teaches you how to throw standstills.

Here comes the 'stand and deliver' crowd, oh boy. Move this stupid thread to the water cooler where it belongs.

I'm not stand and deliver crowd.

I'm just saying it's not that hard to not foot fault. If you do you messed up, like being offsides in a team sport, and you should be penalized accordingly.

In casual rounds, my normal group is pretty lenient about it. League nights and tournaments, we try and be a little more careful about it. But yeah, call them on it if it's drastic

1 : making stand and deliver mandatory would punish all those who can actualy set their plant foot precisely.

2 : Call the friggin rule violations. If people break rules and you dont call them on it, how can you think that adding more rules would help the situation ?

Seriously. We play a sport where the players are also referees. YOU have to take YOUR responsability and call rule infractions. And with you I mean each and every of us. People take as much freedom with the rules as you let them. Carry a rule book with you, know the rules, call the fouls.

edit : Another thing. I mostly see those foot fauls in casual play. In tournaments they usualy get called. In casual play, I could not care less. The people who dont play precisely by the rules when playing casualy are only hurting themselfs. They will not be used to it in tournaments.

this has turned in to a witch hunt. get off your high horses, like none of you have ever foot faulted and not called yourself on it.

this has turned in to a witch hunt. get off your high horses, like none of you have ever foot faulted and not called yourself on it.

Outside of standing throws I honestly never check my feet :).

I thought the rule was 11 inches, but not necessarily straight behind the mini. Like a half circle traced around the lie.

I've been called out for foot faults....manned up...yep you're prolly right...but...I don't look at my feet when i throw...

The area you have to land in is about 11 inches back and double the length of your foot side to side. As long as a supporting point, which would be any part of your foot/shoe, is behind your mini on a direct line to the basket.

So it's about 11 inches long by 22 inches side to side if you wear a size 11 show. ( I just measured my feet with a tape) :)

I don't think it should be that hard for an experienced disc golfer to hit that target with their plant foot. :popcorn:

Also in open field unless you need the previously thrown disc don't mark it. If nothing else it gives the illusion of a larger foot landing zone.

Great try, but this kind of speculation is a joke and highly unlikely. Why not just win by worrying about your own game and stop trying to knit-pick other players for silly crap. When I start to hear this kind of whining, I know who its coming from, its the players who do not benefit from the run-up and would rather ruin it for the rest of us than just deal with their own shortcomings. Try stepping up your own game instead

I definitely benefit from the run-ups. I am just saying that I would definitely benefit even more from them if I wasn't worrying about putting my foot on the line of play directly behind my marker. One less factor you need to think about means that you have more mental energy for concentrating on the actual throw.

But even if you disagree with that... surely you see how the one player being penalized for a penalty is disadvantaged compared to the player who is not being penalized. I would be okay with changing this rule to give people more space in a run up (it would help me out quite a bit), but it isn't fair if some guys are penalized in a tournament and others are not.

declaring my innocence as the OP

I said it's my pet peeve when a player equal to my ability gives the illusion of being better than me cause he throws with a massive run up in the fairway...it just bugs me during casual rounds. tag rounds, doubles rounds, and especially during tourney rounds. I never said I was any good and to add to that injuries have limited my ability to use a massive run up. I weigh over 250 and have bad knees and ankles that too often wear and/or give out or do strange things when I ask them to.

I did say pet peeve...the idea of zero run up and stand and deliver is intriguing to me...is it reasonable no but I like it for my own selfish reasons.

I admit I don't wanna be the guy that calls a foot fault every other hole.....I just wish some more players were not so blatant about disregarding the rule. I had a guy mess up on a throw due to focusing on his plat during doubles I even said something about it....said thats why I stand and deliver on this course (Nockamixon)....ironically my partner then foot faulted by about 3 feet right of his mini....dude was no better than me but it gave the illusion that he was..

I think the stand and deliver crowd would foot fault as much....many lift their plant foot before release and actually weight bear on the opposite foot just as much as many foot fault on run ups. It's just no one ever watches the feet of the run up guys

Fail. Show me in the rulebook.

He is just saying that all you have to do is have some place of your foot on the line that goes back through the center of the marker. It doesn't matter where it is on your foot that is on the line, essentially making the space you have to land in twice the width of your foot.

Latest posts