• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet Peeve: foot fault run ups

I started the ball golf anology, but I would say it is approprate, but you can't use the ability to tee it up on the tee but no where else as a reason to support S&D as that only effects the lie, not the motion to hit the ball.

So you would break the rule, but be mad and harass the person that pointed it out? Seems smart.

"be mad" and "be upset" are loosely related terms.
also "harass" and "give them some shizzz" can also be interpreted quite differently...
so no, it would play out quite differently then you might imagine. It would be upsetting (to the degree that it might trouble me on the inside) and I would give them "shizzz" by simply asking them to point out where I missed my mark and asking the others on the card if they saw it. Like I said, I MIGHT miss my mark by 2-3 inches max and any experienced competitive player would agree that you would be hard pressed to find many people who could hit a mark that accurately on a max D drive. Although it falls outside of the guidelines of the rule, I don't believe that it would even loosely reflect the spirit of the rule to call someone on it in my situation... I thought we left that behind in the rec/intermediate divisions.
Just my 2 cents. Sure, we may not agree but I would rather not argue on the forums about something so trivial.

Maybe it is just me, but I usually don't pay too close of attention to where the people I'm playing with place their plant foot. As long as it's close, it usually is not a big deal to me.

Maybe it is just me, but I usually don't pay too close of attention to where the people I'm playing with place their plant foot. As long as it's close, it usually is not a big deal to me.

I doubt it's just you. The only time I would start paying close attention to someone's foot placement is if the way they are playing shows a disregard for the rules.

From my experience in tournament play, which has all been donating to the Open division, most people follow rules and the ones who don't are not very good anyway so it never mattered.

He is just saying that all you have to do is have some place of your foot on the line that goes back through the center of the marker. It doesn't matter where it is on your foot that is on the line, essentially making the space you have to land in twice the width of your foot.

Except that people pivot on their ball or heel when throwing run-ups, thus their point of contact is really maybe only 3" meaning that they would have to hit a 6" area instead of a 22".

I've gotten caught on something like this before and now call people on it all the time. To line up the shot, they place their heel right behind the mini and then step way out to the side. When throwing, they then move up to the ball of their foot giving them an extra 6" and causing a foot fault because their heel is no longer in contact with the ground.

The lack of calling or notice of foot faults is the bigger issue IMHO. I may not make a formal warning depending on the players. BUT I also will not call someone on a footfault if the original shot ended up in a stroke addng bad throw.

Some times on my run up I end up stepping on my mini. I have been called on it once and was kinda pissed. To me this is more minor of a problem than stepping to the right or left of it. After I was called I started paying attenion more but still occansionally do it.

I play casual rounds with a guy that is really good at getting out of trouble. After a while I started watching him closer. Pretty much all of his upshots are not from his lie. An inch or two to the right or left of your lie really opens up your shot selection in a very wooded course. I never call the guy b/c we only play rec rounds together.

It will take 3 guys to call the 4th on a foot fault...if he routinely does it...chances are that over the course of a competitive round he will gain an advantage. I doubt 3 guys will agree to routinely call a foot fault.
Wasnt something like this discussed due to the jump putting foot faulting that was going on? Banning it due to it never being called?

Some times on my run up I end up stepping on my mini. I have been called on it once and was kinda pissed. To me this is more minor of a problem than stepping to the right or left of it. After I was called I started paying attenion more but still occansionally do it.

I play casual rounds with a guy that is really good at getting out of trouble. After a while I started watching him closer. Pretty much all of his upshots are not from his lie. An inch or two to the right or left of your lie really opens up your shot selection in a very wooded course. I never call the guy b/c we only play rec rounds together.

yeah if you pay attention you'd be surprised at what you begin to notice

A seasoned pro once mentioned to me...you'd be surprised to see what some of the top pros get away with in those elite 4somes...I have wondered if perhaps this might be true and the real difference maker in attaining a high rating lol

It will take 3 guys to call the 4th on a foot fault...if he routinely does it...chances are that over the course of a competitive round he will gain an advantage. I doubt 3 guys will agree to routinely call a foot fault.
Wasnt something like this discussed due to the jump putting foot faulting that was going on? Banning it due to it never being called?

3 guys?

1 guy/gal to footfault
1 guy/gal to call it
1 guy/gal to 2nd it
-------------------
3 guys/gals

In a group of 4 it would be helpful to have 3 vs 1 so you don't come across a situation where 2 members believe on thing and the other 2 believe another. This may come up on establishing lies from out of bounds or other rules where you need to come to a group conscience. But foot faults only need 1 player to call it and 1 player to 2nd it.

DG should have "guidelines" instead of "rules".

I enjoy a more liberal style of play, instead of guys acting like the Rules Gestapo every freakin' time you throw. Yeah my foot touched my disc that I did not flip or mark with a mini, still parked my upshot but that's a foul, okayyy. I'm sure that really gave me an advantage. If you can step on your disc and still execute a good throw then good for you! Technically it's still behind the front of the disc.

The foot fault on fairway drives is much less of an issue than the players constantly asking if they are "outside the circle" on a 22-footer, which I get several times each round from jump-putters, often they are what I would consider to be well inside 30'. Yet, I always say, "GO RIGHT AHEAD!" b/c if they can use that stupid style to make a putt, more power to 'em. I don't care if it's 20', 30', whatever. WHO CARES, it's a freakin' kids game man! People take this stuff too seriously.

Now in a professional tournament...rules, sure!

I enjoy a more liberal style of play, instead of guys acting like the Rules Gestapo every freakin' time you throw. Yeah my foot touched my disc that I did not flip or mark with a mini, still parked my upshot but that's a foul, okayyy. I'm sure that really gave me an advantage. If you can step on your disc and still execute a good throw then good for you! Technically it's still behind the front of the disc.

The foot fault on fairway drives is much less of an issue than the players constantly asking if they are "outside the circle" on a 22-footer, which I get several times each round from jump-putters, often they are what I would consider to be well inside 30'. Yet, I always say, "GO RIGHT AHEAD!" b/c if they can use that stupid style to make a putt, more power to 'em. I don't care if it's 20', 30', whatever. WHO CARES, it's a freakin' kids game man! People take this stuff too seriously.

Now in a professional tournament...rules, sure!

yaaaaaaa, bro. Like, fight the power, maaaaan. Rules are like, such a downer, dude. Like, I just fly discs to unlock the power of the goddess anyways.

Your attitude and half-baked logic are exhibit A as to why the self-policing system does not work. Seriously, go play some snap-ching, or whatever that hippy garbage is called. This game has rules.

Last edited:
Perhaps you missed my last point about playing professionally? I was talking about ppl that act like chinchy bastards in casual rounds. Anyway...I liked your stoned act, that was classy and clever all at the same time. One day maybe I can be as cunning and intelligent with my stoner bashing skills! Ok back to my ching snap, whatever that is.

1 guy/gal to footfault
1 guy/gal to call it
1 guy/gal to 2nd it
-------------------
3 guys/gals

In a group of 4 it would be helpful to have 3 vs 1 so you don't come across a situation where 2 members believe on thing and the other 2 believe another. This may come up on establishing lies from out of bounds or other rules where you need to come to a group conscience. But foot faults only need 1 player to call it and 1 player to 2nd it.

OK, the earlier post said it took 3 guys to call a 4th on a footfault. This is correct; it takes 2 to call a 3rd on a footfault.

Depending on how contentious it is, the thrower can second it, or even call it on himself.

Great try, but this kind of speculation is a joke and highly unlikely. Why not just win by worrying about your own game and stop trying to knit-pick other players for silly crap. When I start to hear this kind of whining, I know who its coming from, its the players who do not benefit from the run-up and would rather ruin it for the rest of us than just deal with their own shortcomings. Try stepping up your own game instead

Try to not be insulting others for no particular reason.

I agree with aard's post. I follow the rules and enforce the rules when necessary. I happen to TD minis and host leagues quite a bit in my area, this requires one to be knowledgable of the rules and willing to add throws to players like you.

I agree that in casual play, they are guidelines instead of rules. I really don't care how people play when they are not in my group, or when they are in my group and we are just having fun. But when I take time off to play in a tournament and pay good money to enter, I do care if people are getting an advantage.

For the guy that steps on his disc in the fairway: his advantage doesn't come from the couple of inches he gains. It comes from the fact that I am concentrating on putting my foot in a space exactly 30cm long- he is putting his foot in a space roughly twice that long. He is using less concentration to place his foot properly, so has more concentration to put towards actually making the shot. Also, if we both happen to accidentally step on our discs and he happens to be on a card where they ignore it and I happen to be on a card where they stroke me, he gets a HUGE advantage.

The specific rule isn't what is important to me. But consistency in it application is important.

Devils Advocate for the S&D advocates

If its such a problem with massive foot faults not being called in the fairway, why not expand the area to hit in a fairway run up? That way every player still has the same rules to follow and it's easier to avoid making a foot fault?

I don't support this but to me S&D is just as silly.

If foot faults bother you; call them. The person who got called on will likely remember and later call someone else because they lost a stroke on it in a round once (in my mind it works like hazing lol).

Depending on how contentious it is, the thrower can second it, or even call it on himself.

I've seconded my own foot fault. It was the last hole of the round and I was putting for two from about 50 feet out and missed.

Sure I'll take another try.

Latest posts