• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Phantom foot fault call

Interesting the number of people talking about putting the "off foot/back foot" down. Didn't the OP say he was putting from a straddle. Like several pros (K Jones, N Sexton, Nikko, Zach M), I putt primarily from a straddle. Your "off foot is always down, so...

...yeah, just do that.

Yeah, he did. I guess I just inserted my style into what I was telling him assuming he'd understand.

Interesting the number of people talking about putting the "off foot/back foot" down. Didn't the OP say he was putting from a straddle. Like several pros (K Jones, N Sexton, Nikko, Zach M), I putt primarily from a straddle. Your "off foot is always down, so...

...yeah, just do that.

Yes, that was the puzzling part of this situation. I was never off balance, so not sure how to demonstrate balance. In this case I needed to straddle because of a tree. The group consensus at the tourney was once balance is demonstrated, you can move toward the basket even if the disc is still moving.

Based on what the other player described, which matched what I described, they determined it wouldnt have been a foot fault, even in a sanctioned tourney.

They were both annoyed with me that I mentioned they weren't marking their disc at the beginning of the round and the TD was firm that disc needed to be marked, we couldn't just pick up a disc and throw it. ... So I was surprised they would try to point out my potential foot fault...

Uhh, I think I've found the reason for the "bush league move", as you called it.

Uhh, I think I've found the reason for the "bush league move", as you called it.

Yeah, I can't prove retaliation, but that was my first instinct. It was just a fun end of
season tournament, I'm hoping they didn't choose to be that petty.

Yes, that was the puzzling part of this situation. I was never off balance, so not sure how to demonstrate balance. In this case I needed to straddle because of a tree. The group consensus at the tourney was once balance is demonstrated, you can move toward the basket even if the disc is still moving.

Based on what the other player described, which matched what I described, they determined it wouldnt have been a foot fault, even in a sanctioned tourney.

It is a misconception that you "can't move" until after the disc has settled or stopped moving. The rule only says demonstrate balance, which, for us straddle putters we mostly can do so in less than the "two-count guideline" as long as there's no shaking, rattling, tiptoeing trying to stay straight, etc. A standard straddle putt is typically balance demonstrated before the putt actually hits the chains.

Latest posts