• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Phase/Photon/Wave/Orbital Hype Thread

The Inertia is more of a go-to driver, Impulse may be too understable for some, or limited use, such as hyzer-flips or anhyzers that you need to go right and keep going. I use the Impulse mostly for hyzer-flip tunnel drives, or when I want zero fade.

I think the biggest issue was, the Inertia was released first, and from the reviews of the testers it was a pretty big hit. When the Impulse was released, many testers reviewed it as similar to their slightly beat Inertia. Since they were only released months apart, I know for me that was enough for me to decide against the investment in the Impulse, especially with all of the Axiom discs also released this year. I think I have purchased more discs in the past 12 months than my entire previous disc golf years combined. Most of them MVP and Axiom.

Good points.

I have them both, and mine at least, fly pretty differently from one another. The Inertia is reasonably straight with a small fade. The Impulse is Roadrunner understable. Again, these are my 4, 2 of each...Neutron.

The front pallet is incoming plastic pellets, notice the multiple straps to keep box from tearing and leaking thousands of tiny pellets. MVP marked boxes behind look like discs to be shipped. How old is this pic, btw?

Why wouldn't they just have them in standard gaylords? I'm sure its the same plastic as the neutron and proton.

Why wouldn't they just have them in standard gaylords? I'm sure its the same plastic as the neutron and proton.

Yea, those boxes look way too protected to be pellets. Looks heavier. Maybe they are mold pieces?

Fact of the day for those who don't know... a gaylord is a bulk box; usually thick walled corrugated pallet box used for raw materials like raw polymers used in injection molding process to make our discs that we all know and love...

Attachments

• 10000GL-2.jpg
    10000GL-2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 30
Biggest difference between inertia and impulse is the fade for me. inertia has a mellow penetrating fade and better HSS while I use the impulse more for hyzerflips to both turn and hook up at the end.

I have always assumed (probably incorrectly) that disc molds were fairly large. Or at least large enough to come in boxes like that, when packaged properly. Or does MVP make their own molds?

ah :thmbup: yeah it was late. Curious about the molds too but seems costly to be able to do them in house unless contracting out other work. Maybe Father can do it? I believe he made one of their trial molds pre ION days.

Maybe Father can do it?

For those who may not know, I believe Aim is referring to Don Richardson.

Don, who is the owner of Maple Valley Plastics, is the father of Brad and Chad Richardson, who are the owners (of course) of MVP Disc Sports.

For those who may not know, I believe Aim is referring to Don Richardson.

Don, who is the owner of Maple Valley Plastics, is the father of Brad and Chad Richardson, who are the owners (of course) of MVP Disc Sports.

Thanks! and to go a little deeper on this:

'A Good Lesson'

Steve Hill is the associate editor for Rattling Chains.
[email protected] @OneMileMore.

Maple Valley Plastics, owned by Don Richardson, has been in business since 1967. In addition to making a variety of products for government contracts and toy companies, the primary focus of the business is the automotive industry. After seeing an interior door handle that was made of a stiff core material and covered with a rubber-like material for a soft feel, Chad was inspired to apply the design to a golf disc.

"This led to the idea of a softer material on the outside of the disc for chain-grabbing properties in a putter," Brad said. "But rather quickly it evolved into the discovery of using a dense, rubber-like material for an enhanced gyroscopic property of a disc."

At first, though, it was simply meant as an exercise in business experience.

"We've tried a few different items in my life that never seemed to work," Don said. "I thought, 'Well, we'll make them an inexpensive aluminum mold,' and maybe it would be a good lesson for them.

"And instead of it being a lesson, they started selling them."

The elder Richardson didn't even have selfish intentions when allowing his sons to engineer discs that could possibly improve his own game. He doesn't play disc golf.

"He'd never heard of the industry," Brad said. "He was very fascinated with what we were showing him, all these Frisbees that all flew differently. He couldn't believe it."

But after many summers of working in their father's factory, the brothers were equipped with the knowledge required to mold a disc, and they did so in January of 2010 with the release of the Ion, a beaded putter that took nearly three years to develop.

Fast forward another three years, and MVP is set to release its sixth mold, the Amp, an understable fairway driver that hits stores today.(December 7th, 2012)

I cannot believe what they have accomplished," Don said. "As they were doing their books the other day, I asked the accountant, 'How many college kids can show and do what these two have done?' And he said maybe one in a million."

Or two.
:clap:

http://rattlingchains.com/?p=2377

Last edited:

Latest posts