• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Picking a distance driver when you like everything

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
So I'm having a hard time picking and sticking with a distance driver that I like because honestly, I really like all the molds that I've tried. Currently, for example, it's between the Outlaw or Force, and I really love throwing both, but they do the same thing (I have a couple of each and they cover all of the distance shots I need). I keep going between them, but I can't seem to settle on one. How do you guys solve this issue if you've had it?

I have had this happen a few times.

The one that sticks out was when I was look for a stable/slightly understable bomber disc.

I tried the King, Lace and, Cannon. They were all great and did what I needed. I like the Lace plastic less than the Pinnicle and VIP. Lace got cut.

Tried to find some cheap backups of the King and Cannon. Got no hits for Cannons and had 3 Kings in a month.

So basically Flight>Feel>Availability

Last year when I got back into DG I found myself in the same position. Bought a lot of new molds with many of them overlapping each other. I tried keeping as much as I could in the bag but I found myself becoming more and more indecisive at the tee.

What did I end up doing? I held tryouts at my local park. Threw all my discs in an open field and picked the ones that performed the best. After doing that a couple times I was able to narrow things down but still had a few tough choices which I ended up making based on other factors like availability, but even then I still found some neck and neck so I just picked one and ran with it because after all I would rather make that choice at my convienance rather then being forced to choose on the tee at a tournament...

Go with the one that feels better in your hand. If they're the same go with the one that you think looks or stands out better. Outlaws are amazing though..

Assuming feel and function are equal, I like consistency and ease/cost of replacement. Supporting a certain company could be a factor too.

How do you guys solve this issue if you've had it?

Give it time. Eventually one will begin to work out just a little bit better, will be the one you think of and go to and trust more and more on the shots asking for it. So if you have it down to two, just keep working with both, especially on the range in practice.

i field throw them all until i decide as best as possible.

then i sell all of one mold, stock up on the other.

then i have second thoughts and sell everything i just stocked up on again and start using the other one because i can't decide.

at some point i just stop doing this and give up. that's the disc.

i field throw them all until i decide as best as possible.

then i sell all of one mold, stock up on the other.

then i have second thoughts and sell everything i just stocked up on again and start using the other one because i can't decide.

at some point i just stop doing this and give up. that's the disc.

Too accurate:clap::hfive:

I just go to a field and throw them back and forth until a winner emerges. Sooner or later it becomes apparent that I really throw one of them a little better than the other.

Rotate them in and out. Then you can keep both.

I do that with a couple slots in my bag because I like different discs that work there. It's fun, I don't care what anyone else would think of that approach, so I win.

Or, get another bag and build a second bag of different molds. Alternate bags on rounds.

Pick the one that feels best in your hand. This is heavily important for consistency. I didn't like the Force because it felt too tall and the bottom of the disc would scrape the skin off of my index finger on FH drives.

Don't do that if you want to improve. Make a choice and ho with it. Endless switching doesn't help in the long run.

Don't do that if you want to improve. Make a choice and ho with it. Endless switching doesn't help in the long run.

I agree that swapping all your discs all the time is probably not beneficial to consistent improvement. If I was ramping up for a tournament then no, I wouldn't do it. But I like more discs than what I carry during a round so as a fun exercise I'll swap certain things in and out just for fun. It's not really any different than adjustments to the bag that many people make based on the specific course they're playing.

Changing out a mold or two sometimes isn't going to hurt anything. People need to stop over-complicating everything.

Not changing out molds is the definition of not over complicating things.

We also aren't pros, so none of this really matters. Just depends on personal goals.

Agreed on second part.
Over-complicating in this sense is the endless over-analyzing of the bag and trying to fit things in this weird structure people think they need. Too much worrying about overlap here and this rim feels a little different so I won't be consistent.... blah blah blah. Just throw frisbees.
I know, to each their own...

Agreed on second part.
Over-complicating in this sense is the endless over-analyzing of the bag and trying to fit things in this weird structure people think they need. Too much worrying about overlap here and this rim feels a little different so I won't be consistent.... blah blah blah. Just throw frisbees.
I know, to each their own...

No, I agree. Fill your bag and just go with it. Learn to throw those discs and work on technique instead of constant disc analysis. I think the bag feedback forum is pretty weird.

I will admit that trying new discs is fun, so it goes back to your goals.

The struggle is real. I have full cycles of destroyers, forces, pd2s, giants, and d2s. It really came down to feel and availability for me to pick. I ended up choosing s-line pd2s. Destroyers are expensive to find good domey overstable ones, forces feel weird when they r overstable but the flippy ones feel good, giants are too slow and hard to find domey, d2s are also hard to find then you find a good run you like and they cost 25 each. S-line pd2s are easy to find and regular stock price.