• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plantar Fasciitis

I've got/had it too. At its very worst I actually used a cane to hobble into the custom orthotics place. Shelled out for the customs and am almost totally pain free now. Cannot over emphasize the importance of stretching. I would actually have to put my shoes with the inserts on if I had to get up to pee in the middle of the night. I would use a tennis ball in the mornings before getting up on my feet. The inserts have worked great for me and I would highly recommend them. I recently stumbled across the 'walk fit' inserts at an odd lots store. For about 6 bucks a pair (compared to 400 for the originals) these things work great. I put them in all of my shoes and now I can even ocasionaly walk around with flip flops or even bare foot.
Hope you start feeling better soon. Go with the customs (and the cheaper back ups for all your shoes) you wont regret it.

Hmm...can't say I've had P.F., but I have blown out my right knee 5 separate times. From experience with coming back (again and again) from injury, the best thing you can do is not get lazy. It'll get stiff and you'll be worse off than before. (Foot tendons and joints alike)

Actually icing it right now... Right foot... My doctor told me to get some Dr. Scholls... Douche bag. He did prescribe me an anti-inflammatory. My chiropractor strips it out every few weeks. He told me to take the handle of a butter knife and basically scrape the arch toward my heel with tons of pressure. It seems to help. I also use one of those brace things like the sock that keeps my foot at a 90 degree angle when i sleep.

some good information here.

been limping from plantar fasciitis since november 2012. podiatrist gave me some inserts that did far more for me than any stretching did.

before i go disc golfing i stretch it out really good and take some ibuprofen. then stretch during and after the round. still generally hurt afterwards pretty bad so i use the previously mentioned "frozen water bottle" technique.

i think i'll grab one of those exercise balls previously mentioned so that i can relieve some of the pain as i sit in a cubicle all day. i'm sure that will help a lot.

anyone else have some good tips?

Recovering from PF in both feet. 2 rounds of cortezone shots. STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH. Its caused because your calf muscle is too tight and it pulls on the tendon connection by your heal. Make that calf loose! Sleep with your feed against the head board. STRETCH. I used a rolling pin. STRETCH all day long, every day. Use new shoes. DONT go for the gel inserts it makes your heal "feel" better but does nothing to fix the issue. Orthotics for sure. PF caused me foot, back, and hip problems because I had to walk so gingerly. It was terrible! STRETCH so you dont have to get surgery.

it may not be an option now. but if the human foot is allowed to be itself, PF would never have occurred in the first place.

I have it as well. Last year about this time I finally went through enough pain to shell out a lot of money on custom orthodics. Although it took much longer than they said it would for the pain to go away, I can now say that I have no pain.

I would never wish the pain I felt on any one. There is no price to pay that is too much if something works. For me... this works and I would recommend it to everyone who is going through this type of pain.

Stretching, exercise, ice, othotics, anti-inflammatory meds, lose some weight if needed and rest. I am a 20 year sufferer and a nurse. (The second part is why I have had so many problems, well and the weight). Great advice here!! Except barefoot...this is not helpful.

Healed from PF in both feet. I needed 2 rounds of cortezone shots. STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH. Its caused because your calf muscle is too tight and it pulls on the tendon connection by your heel. Make that calf loose! Sleep with your feet against the head board. STRETCH. I used a rolling pin. STRETCH all day long, every day. Use new shoes. DONT go for the gel inserts it makes your heel "feel" better but does nothing to fix the issue. Orthotics for sure (even though I never got any). PF caused me foot, back, and hip problems, it changed my stride because I had to walk so gingerly. It was terrible! STRETCH so you dont have to get surgery.

Man, I'm illiterate. -Fixed-

I had a pretty bad case of PF as a junior/senior in high school, when I used to do a lot of running.

It kills. :( :thmbdown:

I ended up getting the prescription/custom shoe inserts (yea for parent's insurance coverage) and wore them in every single shoe I put on for about two years. Tried it without them one day on a lark, and haven't had any issues since.

From my experience, I can only say "get the custom inserts." :\

Good luck!

I've considered orthotics for years but I just can't bring myself to fork up the cash. For me the most important thing is to ALWAYS wear good shoes with good arch support. Even one hour wearing something else will result in a day or more of pain. I can tell as soon as I try a pair on whether or not they will cut it. For sneakers I swear by New Balance. Not every pair will work, but more than any other affordable & widely available brand NB fits the bill. I usually look for them on sale ($20-$40) at DSW/Sears/JCP.

I work in an office and have to wear dress shoes five days a week so I need good arch support there as well. I'm currently wearing Dr. Scholl's brand, but there are many that will work.

I've always wanted to try Keen's or Merrell's but without special inserts I know it would be a waste of $100+ With all the rain/snow/mud in NY I go through 2-3 pairs of NB a year, but it's still less than specialized DG shoes and even Dr. Scholl's inserts.

try sleeping with your shoes on. seriously. it helps me.

This can work pretty well and is cheap but man does it suck to do. I get it a few times a year and for several days at a time. So bad I can barely walk. I know several things that will help but I'm a jackass so I don't. :\

I also use one of those brace things like the sock that keeps my foot at a 90 degree angle when i sleep.

this.. the large ankle/foot brace many people get post sprain/surgery.. strap it on while sleeping is the most effective treatment available.. can treat the condition while staying active. still need shoes that support.. fresh ones

learned from long time cross country coach

I just been using the Dr Schools Work Inserts for all my shoes and thats really helped my PF problems.

Latest posts