• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Plastic Densities

are you saying the cores "could" weigh 30-40 grams, without the overmold?

I have pondered this for SO long. lol.

I just cut the flight plates out and weighed the rims of 170g nova, 169g first run shock and 175g backdraft (traditional disc). The rim of the backdraft weighed 146g, the rim of the Nova weighed 154g and the rim of the shock weighed 160g.

Not a huge difference but a difference between an overmolded disc and non overmolded disc. (Disclaimer this was a crude method cutting with box knife.

I just cut the flight plates out and weighed the rims of 170g nova, 169g first run shock and 175g backdraft (traditional disc). The rim of the backdraft weighed 146g, the rim of the Nova weighed 154g and the rim of the shock weighed 160g.

Not a huge difference but a difference between an overmolded disc and non overmolded disc. (Disclaimer this was a crude method cutting with box knife.

pics

Again kilgus, you're assuming many ratios without knowing the specifics of MVP's proprietary blends (exact polymers + weighting agents).

I dug up a quote from the Q&A:

In our early days, we took an ultralight Wizard (~110g) and taped washers as weights to bring the overall disc weight to 175g. We did trials with mass taped in the very center, some with mass taped towards the outside, and weight distributions in between. The affect on flight from the weight distribution is very evident. The further you distribute mass away from the axis of rotation, the tighter the lateral movement of the disc. Although it was a primitive test, the principal still holds. We encourage everyone to try this experiment themselves.

This actually explains why I don't like MVP discs. I like the lateral movement. Call me crazy.

Again kilgus, you're assuming many ratios without knowing the specifics of MVP's proprietary blends (exact polymers + weighting agents).

Again I've stated this previously. I digress and don't have to assume that it's a fact that classes of polymers and resins have a certain density they are made in no matter what brand is used which is what I was alluding to in previous post.

I politely will bow out of this convo before it goes anywhere negative. My answers have been based off of experience, none of it is empirical evidence for OM directly related to MVP.

Last edited:
It's not the rim you'd weigh and compare, it's the nose.

Rims are bulky, hence the gyroscopic nature of golf discs. The bulky part of the rim isn't the outermost feature though, it's the nose. The added GYRO weight is in the nose, and the REAL difference is when you compare the nose. (this is why Innova's full-rim overmold and MVP's nose-only overmold aren't really comparable)

I checked in the Q&A and they didn't reveal the end weight of their originally-150g Resistorbird, so I won't either. They ground off the nose of a 150g Star TB and put the Resistor overmold on it. It was within legal weight still, and shaped just like a TB, but significantly heavier than the margin described in this plate weight experiment.

I politely will bow out of this convo before it goes anywhere negative.
I don't think anyone would take issue with you sharing truthful information about YOUR company, materials, or methods.

Again I've stated this previously. I digress and don't have to assume that it's a fact that classes of polymers and resins have a certain density they are made in no matter what brand is used which is what I was alluding to in previous post.

I politely will bow out of this convo before it goes anywhere negative. My answers have been based off of experience, none of it is empirical evidence for OM directly related to MVP.

Smart move.

I don't think anyone would take issue with you sharing truthful information about YOUR company, materials, or methods.

Yep. I kept thinking that Discette was going to show up and tell us all how Discraft makes their discs.

Thanks kilgus for your contributions to this thread. Everything you've said has been interesting and in a reasonable manner.

Some people just don't know how to interpret text and understand concepts, and then things can get awkward quickly even for those who are just trying to help and not make concrete statements for/against companies.

To people who don't understand polymers/chemistry and don't have a real idea of density, these numbers seem easy to "fudge" around and insignificant. There's a massive, massive difference between 0.9 and 1.25g/mL.

Last edited:
MVP runs TPE and TPU cores which is why you see the variance in weight. TPE can be found in densities from .9 to 1.2 (this will give you your weight differences) and all have a similar feel but don't have the same durability as their TPU brothers aka champion style plastic. MVP uses a rim that is a TPR/TPV which has a density of about 1.2-1.25 which is only a slight difference. I can't speak to how differently MVP discs fly (only thrown a few) but I do know the difference is minimal at best in terms of weight in the rim.

There's a massive, massive difference between 0.9 and 1.25g/mL.

What's going on here.

There's a massive, massive difference between 0.9 and 1.25g/mL.

Yeah, about… 28%.

Density is density. You don't have to understand plastics to understand density. Geometry. Physics.

Last edited:
You do have to understand context...minimal difference between a 1.2 TPR rim and 1.14-1.2 TPU core....

Happy hucking

Last edited:
You said TPE in the quote. Now it's TPU?

I sure did Big Sky, and you will also notice in that same post that I mentioned TPE has a density of up to 1.2 and so does TPU which I also mentioned in the same post. Feel free to proceed without me.

Have a great day fellas out to throw some plastic :)

Last edited: