• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play my rating or move up?

My rating says Am2 but i recently won a good size tourney in Am2 so im bumping up to Am1. It may be a while before i win an Am1 tourney but i believe i can compete. Also, it will force me to get better because nobody wants to give there money away at a tourney.

One more "defense" I'd like to throw out there though, is that the first tourney I spoke of that I won was only my 3rd PDGA evnt. And if I had signed up for int, I would have been the lowest rated in the division by nearly 30 points.

But you already said you would of finished real high in int in that tourney. And it doesnt matter how many pdga tourneys you've played. It's all about your skill level. You prob feel like you need defense cause you know your bagging.

But you already said you would of finished real high in int in that tourney. And it doesnt matter how many pdga tourneys you've played. It's all about your skill level. You prob feel like you need defense cause you know your bagging.

thats what it starting to sound like to me.

for some reason the tourneys you are talking about aren't showing up on your PDGA page.

if you would have cashed in the division above yours, then you probably should move up.

defending your decision to stay down should make you realize that you need to move up. if you don't like it, you can always move down. stop being a baby :p

for some reason the tourneys you are talking about aren't showing up on your PDGA page.

if you would have cashed in the division above yours, then you probably should move up.

defending your decision to stay down should make you realize that you need to move up. if you don't like it, you can always move down. stop being a baby :p

Yeah he needs a different kind of rattler. Boom snap... Good one Mendo

Geez, now you guys don't even believe me. I'm hurt. Seriously though, they're not on my page because they just took place within the past 3 weeks. Still "unofficial." They won't be on until the next rating update I think.

I'm not doubting what you said, I just wanted to see the results to see where you would have placed in MA2 and what the scores were like.

even unofficial results show up on your page. it just means that the TD is lazy and hasn't posted it yet. The round ratings and your personal rating may/will be adjusted at the update, but tourney results show up as soon as the TD gets them in.

If the ranking system worked better I would say play your rank. Unfortunately there are to many holes in the system so I believe you should move up to intermediate as soon as possible. Lets keep the baggers out of Rec. so our newbies have plenty of chances to win prizes.

I don't think there should be a rec division in a tournament. Rec is recrational. Recreational players don't play competitively. IMO.

That's why I hate the labels. If everyone stuck to the am1, am2, am3 and am4 labels for those divisions, they would be just fine but because people don't like the terms rec and novice those divisions aren't offered or aren't used by the people they're intended for.

Here's the real crux of this whole discussion that should yield your answer:

You play a tourney in a division (any division). You finish in the top five but felt like you played like crap (missed putts, bad drives) whatever it might be. If it's PDGA, you see your round ratings and realize both rounds were actually rated above your current rating. It's now time to consider moving up. You're actually playing better than your rating, but below where you think you should be.

And about the division labels, if the PDGA just made things simple and used numbers instead of names, everything would be fine, and no one would feel "less manly" for playing novice or recreational. It should be AM1, AM2, AM3, AM4.

even unofficial results show up on your page. it just means that the TD is lazy and hasn't posted it yet. The round ratings and your personal rating may/will be adjusted at the update, but tourney results show up as soon as the TD gets them in.

not true. the 2 tournaments ive played this year arent on my PDGA page. the scores and results were in before i made it home from the tournament. one was 2 weeks ago and the other is 3 weeks ago. before there was numerous rating updates they used to post unofficial ones quickly now they dont becuase their running calculations all day long.

I've always thought that the moment you win a tourney in the lower divisions (rec and int) you should move up in your next tourney.

And about the division labels, if the PDGA just made things simple and used numbers instead of names, everything would be fine, and no one would feel "less manly" for playing novice or recreational. It should be AM1, AM2, AM3, AM4.

I agree! I find all the names and divisions confusing. It might also be time to lower Rec. From 900 to maybe 850.

I agree! I find all the names and divisions confusing. It might also be time to lower Rec. From 900 to maybe 850.

Why? So the former Rec players can donate to the current Intermediates? All that's going to do is inspire me to play my current rating, which is in the upper range of the Novice division. There's no way an 850 rated player should have to compete with a 930 on the same playing field.