• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Player Packs

claytonwoirol

For all of us TD's, what are your thoughts on providing shirts, water bottles, or other promotional products vs. just a disc for a small tournament player pack? I have had a lot of players not happy with a disc(s) if they happen to not throw the brand I have for the specific tournament. So I thought having a custom shirt or other item for the tournament might be better appreciated. I also found a company that can produce custom t-shirts or dri-fit shirts for less than the cost of a premium plastic disc, so I thought it might be a win-win... Thoughts???

I like the idea of shirts, but I wonder if the shirt sizing problem wouldn't be worse than the disc brand/mold problem. Nobody wants to go through and have to choose between Smalls and XXLs and unless you have people register a long way in advance you're going to have to guess at size distribution.

Plenty of tournaments offer all sorts of player pack items like that. Just this year alone, I've done custom tee shirts, discs, totes, and minis for various player packs. I think as long as the retail value of the item is appropriate, give your players whatever you think is best. If you can work deals to get good items cheaper than usual, even better for you and the event.

I think why most TDs tend to fall back on discs (custom stamped or not) is that it is an item that every disc golfer should have a use for. Some might whine that it isn't the right brand or mold for their tastes, but I bet the same percentage is going to whine about a tee shirt not being the right color or a water bottle being of no use to them or whatever. Never going to make everyone happy, so just aim for the majority.

To me, the only downside to doing something like tee shirts is sizing. If you get everyone to pre-register in time, you can collect shirt sizes so you can order the right amounts. But if it's an event where people register late in the process or even day-of, getting the right sizes can be a bit of a crapshoot. Discs are way easier in the sense that they're more or less one-size-fits-all.

I find choice is always the best...our state champs we had 2 wizards for a side event that ran over the 4 days, but players could then choose between either an extra wizard, a bottle of local wine or a course beanie. Id say it was nearly evenly split between the 3 options, showing you can never get it right, lol.

Year before was a disc with a generic course stamp, designed for the event though...and a custom shirt from discstore.

To me, the only downside to doing something like tee shirts is sizing. If you get everyone to pre-register in time, you can collect shirt sizes so you can order the right amounts. But if it's an event where people register late in the process or even day-of, getting the right sizes can be a bit of a crapshoot. Discs are way easier in the sense that they're more or less one-size-fits-all.

Plus, if you end up with surplus, it may be easier to get rid of discs.

I find choice is always the best...our state champs we had 2 wizards for a side event that ran over the 4 days, but players could then choose between either an extra wizard, a bottle of local wine or a course beanie. Id say it was nearly evenly split between the 3 options, showing you can never get it right, lol.

Year before was a disc with a generic course stamp, designed for the event though...and a custom shirt from discstore.

Yes, choice is best. Many events around here give a voucher, for a selection of merchandise, which greatly increases the odds that players will leave with something they can use.

Yes, choice is best. Many events around here give a voucher, for a selection of merchandise, which greatly increases the odds that players will leave with something they can use.

At that point why bother with a player pack? Just discount the entry fee by the amount of the voucher, and let them spend their own money. Less headache for the TD, and they get what they want.

Plus, if you end up with surplus, it may be easier to get rid of discs.

Roger that. Got 100 discs and 100 tee shirts for my B-tier at the start of summer...I've sold many of the surplus discs and none of the surplus tee shirts.

I'm a fan of course logos on shirts or hats and hotstamps on discs versus tournament logos/hotstamps since they have a much longer shelf life. I think promotional items featuring courses has been an underutilized marketing option even though DGCR and players know adding to your course list is one of the things many players enjoy.

I enjoy a good DRI-FIT style shirt. Please never give cotton or something that will shrink and fade.

Premium plastic is good as well. Just stick to the popular molds at 170g+ weights.

I understand this may sound picky, but im just relaying the best possibility for player pack happiness.

I dont play for the swag anyway. A tourney is a way to test my skill under pressure and competition. When i play i focus on the trophies!!!

I'm a fan of course logos on shirts or hats and hotstamps on discs versus tournament logos/hotstamps since they have a much longer shelf life. I think promotional items featuring courses has been an underutilized marketing option even though DGCR and players know adding to your course list is one of the things many players enjoy.

As a travelling player, I totally agree with this.

I've often asked if I could purchase a shirt or disc from a course I particulary enjoyed, but too often, the only offerings are specific to an event or perhaps a league for a specific year, as opposed to just commemorating the course itself.

Probs easier to get rid of any extras profitably (or at least break even), too.

Last edited:
At that point why bother with a player pack? Just discount the entry fee by the amount of the voucher, and let them spend their own money. Less headache for the TD, and they get what they want.

I'm assuming either a B-tier or higher (player pack required), or the TD just wants to give them out. Personally, I'd be much happier with the lower-entry, no-player-pack formula, but I didn't think that was the question.

I find the players pack idea a bit goofy. I feel like they're bribing me to come to the tournament, with my own money. I'd much rather cut it out, and cut down the entry, and let me---as you said---buy discs with money, if I want to.

But if they're going to have them, I'd rather get something I might use. I have way too many discs, and too many tee shirts, and enough towels (1) and water bottles (1), and whatever else. But at least with the voucher, there's a chance I might like the disc I choose (or even get a shirt, if I care for the design).

Best received players pack items i give out each year are hot sauce and pickles. Civil War bullets were popular as well. Unless a disc is custom stamped why bother? I personally like shirts because I work on a farm and go through them like hotcakes. I also like lunch.

At least it's unique. That would be trash for me---unless I could find someone who wanted them.

Which is sort of the problem with players packs---no matter what you give, a certain amount is going to be worthless to the receiver. I'm not complaining about what I receive; I just feel bad that the TD goes to the effort, and it's wasted on me.

yep. Hawk Hollow Heat and the pickles from the farm I sell at my markets.

Why arent they disc golf branded and selling in our marketplace?
I love me a good pickle....take that however you want ;)

As a travelling player, I totally agree with this.

I've often asked if I could purchase a shirt or disc from a course I particulary enjoyed, but too often, the only offerings are specific to an event or perhaps a league for a specific year, as opposed to just commemorating the course itself.

Probs easier to get rid of any extras profitably (or at least break even), too.

The thing is that most manufacturers require that the stamp be tournament specific, date in particular, in order to be eligible for their sponsorship deals. If you're talking about player pack discs, it's hard to pass up a bunch of free stuff to add to your event just because you don't want to be event or date specific.