• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please critique

justinf67

Par Member
Need a lot of help. I have been working on getting my plant foot to be at 90 degrees from target and not open. I added a pump forward with my arm and it has helped slow me down some and my footwork is a bit better compared to my older stuff. I am noticing a couple things. One is that I am leaned back and my release angle is nose up on my throws. I assume its because I am not getting my weight forward. I also dont drive my elbow forward at all. A couple other issues, but I'll just put up the video

First pic notice the lean across the yellow line which is your center and you have already reached your max backswing before the pros and your posture is already compromised. You want to turn, not lean back, it will feel much more upright. So you are beginning to move the disc forward while the pros keep the disc in the same position until the next pic and continue to turn hips/shoulders further back. That robs a lot of acceleration during the throw. Your rear heel is on the ground putting your weight behind your heels and into a non-athletic position that is really hard to recover from.

Second pic is the beginning of weight transfer and you have already turned your hips/shoulders while the pros stay back. This is a major power leak and sequencing error. Notice your shoulder ahead of the yellow line and the pros shoulder is inline with the yellow. You want to stay turned back until you feel more weight on the front leg, then throw. Your weight is also too far behind your heels here, it wouldn't take much to push you over on to your butt.

Third pic is the hit, your front knee is collapsing and your weight gets to the outside of the front foot. Keep your weight braced against the inside of the foot/leg. You are correct about not getting the elbow forward here, or getting extension. Your upper arm gets pinned against your chest or hugging yourself. You need to keep the elbow more forward throughout the throw and turn the hips/shoulders more back and forth. That will feel like your reachaback is very wide or not reaching back at all, but you need to trust it. Once you keep your weight braced on the inside your can release/whip the whole arm more forward instead of just your wrist.

Last pic in the followthrough basically shows your over rotated and weight too far forward. Because you aren't properly bracing your weight to the inside of your front foot/leg, you aren't getting much of your weight into the throw, your weight keeps moving forward instead of being behind the disc countering the throwing action to propel it forward.

I'd recommend you watch/read these, pretty much anything will help at this point:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums...php?f=2&t=9959
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums...hp?f=2&t=13291

SW22: I love this set of still captures. One thing I notice is that at the hit (left,lower) all the pros are looking at their disc. Really corresponds to ball golf.

Amazing breakdown Sidewinder, thank you. the images really hit home how off the sequencing is. Your explanations are also great. I never really feel like I am putting my weight into it. I think I have developed the lean at the end to compensate for no elbow extension and turning too early. I really have some work to put in. I know what needs to be done, need to drill it. I need to get my max extension as I plant the front foot, I can see how open my hips are as soon as my foot lands. Again, amazing, thanks!

oh, the links that u posted are not working, i would love to see which ones u were talking about :)

Wow....what an amazing break down. I want to get to the field and record myself to get some advice!

One major problem I have is I 'practice' my shot...and then go to throw the shot and abandon the 'practice'....and end up throwing high and left.

So, based on ur recommendations, the things I have worked on were to slow down and make sure my hips are loaded/turned until my front foot lands. This in itself was a major improvement to my drive. I hold my elbow out like the right pec drill and keep it there during my run up, working around the disc. I feel tension and more like a spring. I also feel the weight of the disc better. I feel it sling out on good throws and sometimes it come out a bit earlier on bad throws. Also worked on keeping on my toes. Feels more athletic. I will upload a video soon, but I am driving much better, with more distance. Thanks for the tips, and they have helped immensely

Really good break down. Very insightful, and will inform my practice today. I'm probably going to spend like 15 minutes without even throwing, just working on feeling where my weight shift is.

Latest posts