• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Polecat

I've thrown a Procat and have a Champ Polecat. Champ is definitely more stable, but still can do Polecat stuff. Big upside is the champ polecat is indestructible.

So, I've been thinking about trying out a polecat. I have a zephyr I use for warmups and playing catch and would love something similar to the zephyr but regular diameter to use for approaches. Can the polecat be that disc?

So, I've been thinking about trying out a polecat. I have a zephyr I use for warmups and playing catch and would love something similar to the zephyr but regular diameter to use for approaches. Can the polecat be that disc?

Only if you believe in it. If you believe in it, it will believe in you.

Polecats are great, especially In the woods. They are magic when you need to get down a long narrow tunnel. DX PCs like to flip to flat and finish straight all the way down.

Polecat can work, but a Sonic may be closer to that super glide.

While it's still a super class, don't forget about the Condor, it feels like a putter, just larger. Its a mean disc in tight woods..

Last edited:
All this Innova talk. Don't sleep on the Rattler:cool:

No but seriously kitties are awesome!

I have a Putt´r in Z and it´s super nice. .but HARD to find

And my Z Putt´r is more US than my Champ Polecats

Inb4 Casey says premium plastic lids are trash.

Seriously though the Z Putt'r was alright, very US disc. I too prefer the Rattler.

Haven't thrown a lid in almost a decade, maybe this winter is the time to pick up a kitty.

Yes. Lower weight if you want a little more glide, but I like heavy for approach duties and for running the basket without going way long. I remember posting some thread about a Comet-y putt/approach disc, and the Polecat won after trying a few. For me, I was looking for a neutral disc that is useful for carving lines. The Polecat rocks in that role, and I've dubbed mine "Basket Kitty" because it has hit cages and chains quite often.

In addition, I've had my heavy DX for 2-3 years now and haven't had to use my backups yet. It's fairly misshapen, but flies great. If you want a Polecat for short approaches and touch shots, I don't think anything gets better than DX. If you want longer shots or something off the tee, that's the time to think about premium plastic, imo.

Inb4 Casey says premium plastic lids are trash.

Haven't thrown a lid in almost a decade, maybe this winter is the time to pick up a kitty.

Casey/anybody had better not say premium plastic lids are trash. My Champion Polecats will quickly change his/their suppositions.

Yes, try an inexpensive DX Polecat. I did so upon the advice of several peeps on these here boards. I'm glad I did; the Polecat has become indispensable to me...

Backhand approaches outside of jump putt range but under 150' are the weakest part of my game. I've watched all the videos and read all the tips and I still can't pull this shot off. I've tried numerous molds as well ranging from super OS to understable. The sad part is I can actually park long approach shots with much greater consistency than short ones.

I know there isn't a such a thing as a magic disc but I'm hoping trying lids out might help something click.

Backhand approaches outside of jump putt range but under 150' are the weakest part of my game. I've watched all the videos and read all the tips and I still can't pull this shot off. I've tried numerous molds as well ranging from super OS to understable. The sad part is I can actually park long approach shots with much greater consistency than short ones.

I know there isn't a such a thing as a magic disc but I'm hoping trying lids out might help something click.

That type of shot just screams "NOVA" or "BERG" . . but a Polecat works fine to

This is what Polecats were made for. There might be a learning curve if you haven't thrown lids much but this will quickly stop being the weakest part of your game if you start throwing a Polecat regularly.

This is what Polecats were made for. There might be a learning curve if you haven't thrown lids much but this will quickly stop being the weakest part of your game if you start throwing a Polecat regularly.

Testify! :thmbup:

Seriously, that was my experience. Not much of a learning curve, either; just figure out what grip you want to use on it, and throw it at the basket. I just committed to the Polecat for my approaches, and my scores started improving. If other things aren't working, definitely give the Polekitty a try.

Don't forget throwing your putter (which is what, by the way?). You'd look cooler throwing a Polecat for this shot, but a stable putter with some bite ought to be perfect, e.g. Wizard, Aviar, Challenger, Ion, etc etc. They're more forgiving of some torque and might be more predictable.

I empathize with the difficulty with this shot and think it's mainly because we don't practice the shot unless on the course for a round. Actually, I just went out to the course this past weekend to practice a similar shot: I brought multiple Ions and Buzzz's and set up from 150-200' range with relatively open approaches that weren't friendly to my Zone forehand. I don't think it's a tough shot to master, but just one I've been neglecting.

I empathize with the difficulty with this shot and think it's mainly because we don't practice the shot unless on the course for a round.

Good point. One thing I do is that when I take discs to the range (schoolyard) to practice, I'll take a Nova or two (to make sure my form is right) and my Polecats and maybe a throwing putter or two, and throw those to warm up before I throw longer throws with higher-speed stuff. I tend to aim for a spot or at something on the ground, and throw progressively longer shots as I get warmed up.

Just wanted to stop in the say I got a max weight dx polecat. I played 18 at harmony bends and landed every approach with it within 15' other than 2 downhill shots that went long and faded left. Need to throw it more because it may just be the honeymoon phase but so far so good.

Just found a PFN polecat with Ontario tooling at PIAS. Probably 8/10 no ink soft plastic. Is it DX or r-pro? What's the age of something like this and is it valuable?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 31