• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Popular discs you just don’t like

Roc - too domey + has a bead
Comet - too domey + I think it had a bead
Wizard - yea I really dont like the feel of discs with beads

Roc - never felt right in my hand.

Judge / Warden - I'm not a DD hater because I do enjoy the Marshal but I just can't get a clean release with neither the Judge or the Warden.

Comet - the weird bead didn't bother me but I can get similar flights on other discs that aren't so touchy for me.

Wraith - never found a run that actually matched the flight numbers.

Speed 13 drivers.

Judge / Warden - I'm not a DD hater because I do enjoy the Marshal but I just can't get a clean release with neither the Judge or the Warden.

Comet - the weird bead didn't bother me but I can get similar flights on other discs that aren't so touchy for me.

Speed 13 drivers.

I agree, I have that slot covered with a few other molds so not a big deal, but would still love to be able to throw a Comet for some reason.

Speed 13 drivers.

This is a very real concern. Good Wraiths are out there, but they aren't always easy to find. Most Wraiths I've thrown in the last several years fly something like 11, 4, 0, 3. When the Wraith first came out you'd see the actual flight numbers. For a Wraith to be good you definitely need that bit of turn and glide.

The same could be said for Destroyers too. A lot of Destroyers come out way more overstable than the assigned numbers. Generally, the faster the driver the less likely you'll be to find one that perfectly matches the flight numbers.

The reason I don't like the Wraith and Destroyer is because of that inconsistency. I don't want to have to try ten discs hoping one of them flys like I want. Or you find that one that suits you and it gets lost. Good luck finding another one that flies the same.

pretty much anything discraft. I love the flight of the comet and banger gt, but the plastics just didn't work for me. I felt they were either too slick, or flimsy. The z has the indentations or striations that just didn't feel right in my hand. Not a hater, just a tactile thing.

pretty much anything discraft. I love the flight of the comet and banger gt, but the plastics just didn't work for me. I felt they were either too slick, or flimsy. The z has the indentations or striations that just didn't feel right in my hand. Not a hater, just a tactile thing.

You can tell plastics from one another by feel alone? Wow.

TL;DR - the Comet is possibly the most polarizing disc in the sport. It's a love hate thing for me too admittedly, but I don't mind the feel.

I probably already responded to this one but here goes again:

I don't like the flight of fresh Rancho Rocs. Sure, everyone likes a beat Roc, but I specifically do not gel with the flight of a freshie to the point that I would prefer not to fiddle with breaking one in.

Unbeaded putting putters - I like the bead. I dunno, seems to fit better in a knuckle. I like Zones and clones of Zones, but not for putting

Most Innova-molded speed 9 offerings advertised as understable - it all started with one of those pop top champ sidewinders that flew stable. Never been able to get these speed 9 things to fly right. Give me a thundie or a firebird, sure.

Not saying I could take a blindfold test to tell what was what, but yeah, some plastics feel better in my hand and some feel worse. And few things are more frustrating than a mold that flies well but is not made in a plastic I like.

Pretty much, ya. I know when I feel the disc slipping consistently on many different molds in the same plastic, it's probably the plastic. I find star to have more grip than esp. again, that is MY tactile experience.

So are you not able to tell the difference of something like g-star and hard z plastic apart by feel? Not meaning that in an argumentative way, genuinely curious.

Not saying I could take a blindfold test to tell what was what, but yeah, some plastics feel better in my hand and some feel worse. And few things are more frustrating than a mold that flies well but is not made in a plastic I like.

I agree, Why can't Innova make any midrange in regular Pro? I know Innova used to, like with the Shark, the ROC yes they had both KC Pro and Pro, the Wolf or Coyote was, as well as a few others I am probably forgetting. The same thing for Putters as well from Innova were made in Pro at one point, not anymore but they were a stiff plastic for most of the discs besides the Rhyno and some runs of Pig were softer as if somebody working there messed up and put Rhyno Pro in a Pig mold thinking they had a Rhyno mold. Now you have to hope since R-Pro becoming a non consistent plastic after 2010 that R-Pro plastic of the putter that Innova makes in R-Pro is a limited production run of specific hard R-Pro or feel up regular R-Pro a bunch to get the disc feel you want, most common Pro feel in most of the runs.

I second that. If you're blindfolded, I promise anyone could feel the difference between Z and Opto with no problem.

I second that. If you're blindfolded, I promise anyone could feel the difference between Z and Opto with no problem.

And one can tell a difference from Opto, Westside version and the Dynamic Disc version as Dynamic Disc seems to get inferior plastic to the Latitude 64 and Westside brands from simiar to similar, only the Hard burst from Dynamic Disc to Latitude 64 Hard Zero/Westside Version is better and looks :cool: too.

Last edited:
And one can tell a difference from Opto, Westside version and the Dynamic Disc version as Dynamic Disc seems to get inferior plastic to the Latitude 64 and Westside brands from simiar to similar, only the Hard burst from Dynamic Disc to Latitude 64 Hard Zero/Westside Version is better and looks :cool: too.

Where do you come up with this stuff? I throw a bunch of trilogy stuff and you can't tell the difference between opto, vip and lucid. It's the same stuff all made in Sweden.

Judge- Friend putts with them and I give them a chance every once in a while, but that little curve before the bead throws me off every time. I putt with Links, abs and the feel is just different enough to be jarring. Also my tiny hands can't handle the depth of the rim, so I can't throw these or JK Aviars consistently even though I like the fight when I can get them off right.

Gator- I've gone to the shop more than once thinking "THIS will be the day I get a Gator!". Then I feel one and am immediately aghast. I'm still on the lookout for something between my Pig and Firebird, but every OS utility mid I've picked up just hasn't felt right.

Roc- The feel doesn't bother me, watching someone float a 350 foot laser that flies 12 mph is magical, I just can't handle the thought of cycling a bunch of base plastic and having to keep track of how everything flies from round to round. I appreciate someone like Philo hauling 53 Rocs in his bag and knowing what they all do, I'm just not that guy.

Zone- my boldest take of them all. Maybe I threw a Pig too much before I tried one. The rim is a tick too shallow and takes away just a little confidence on my forehand shots. I have a whale of a time dialing in my distance and angle with it. I got those magic Zone shots about 75% of the time, but the other 25 had me careening into the netherworlds.

Judge- Friend putts with them and I give them a chance every once in a while, but that little curve before the bead throws me off every time. I putt with Links, and the feel is just different enough to be jarring. Also my tiny hands can't handle the depth of the rim, so I can't throw these or JK Aviars consistently even though I like the flight when I can get them off right.

Gator- I've gone to the shop more than once thinking "THIS will be the day I get a Gator!". Then I feel one and am immediately aghast. I'm still on the lookout for something between my Pig and Firebird, but every OS utility mid I've picked up just hasn't felt right.

Roc- The feel doesn't bother me, watching someone float a 350 foot laser that flies 12 mph is magical, I just can't handle the thought of cycling a bunch of base plastic and having to keep track of how everything flies from round to round. I appreciate someone like Philo hauling 53 Rocs in his bag and knowing what they all do, I'm just not that guy.

Zone- my boldest take of them all. Maybe I threw a Pig too much before I tried one. The rim is a tick too shallow and takes away just a little confidence on my forehand shots. I have a whale of a time dialing in my distance and angle with it. I got those magic Zone shots about 75% of the time, but the other 25 had me careening into the netherworlds.

Wizard - I don't hate it, but i never clicked with it, and it wasn't for a lack of trying. Just too brickish, i.e. not glidey enough for me.

Buddy's always out here acting like Wizards aren't glidey. They glide SUPER well, and always have. Most people who have used them as throwers know they glide well. All except for some premium runs like Diamond, I guess.