• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portage Lakes State Park — Akron, OH

gcoghill

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Saw this news article about a disc golf course being planned at Portage Lakes State Park in Akron, Ohio (which I never heard of):

"The Friends of Portage Lakes State Park Association have turned its focus on creating the tournament-worthy 18-hole disc golf course on about 39 acres in the park."

The full article has more info and contact info for any locals looking to help.

Map shows it being west of the Akron-Canton airport, and North of the Massilon & Canton courses. Would be a nice course right in the midst of the Hudson, Medina, Canton & Massilon courses.

1 thing great about Disc Golf is it's FREE 2 play, we need your help to keep it free

Portage Lake State Park is a great hidden gem just south/ south west of Akron, Ohio. It's not part of the Metro park system as it's a state park, duh.. This area hasbeen a tough market to get a course in over the years and I think that it will be well recieved within the Portage Lake community as well as the surrounding area.

Bill Griffith and I and a few others help shape this section of the park into a neat disc golf course. The terrain is flat at places and hilly in others with plenty of water (aka.. the lake) coming into play on almost half of the holes. There's plenty of parking, there's also a swimming beach so you can bring the family and they can swim, while you play the course (nice feature). They're are various eateries on the lakes for all tastes.

Ya know one thing great about DISC GOLF is it's cost....FREE, yeah it's usually free to play. and it will be free to play at this park too. But we need your help. We are currently seeking potential sponsers for a hole at $475 per hole. I know, I know.. that's a lot of jack. But think about it this way------------------------------------------------------- - + How many times have you played disc golf and left the park full of good vibes?? Probally just about every time. That's why I feel that is time for YOU to pony up and colaborate with potential friends and businesses and buy a hole at this park for you and other to enjoy for many many years.

$475 includes sponsor name at tee sign, DGA mach 5 basket, and a concrete tee. That's not that much, if you ask me. in fact......

if they raise enough money for the full 18 holes, my money will be in there for one hole.

Ya know some of you people out there will probally be giving up smokes because of the new tax hikes. Wouldn't it be cool if the money your saving from not smoking went into a fund for a new basket at Portage Lakes State Park. Shouldn't we all sacrifice something for this great cause?? It doesn't take much... round up 5 friends and @ $ 95 per person you could donate $475 for a new hole, get 10 people together and donate $47.50 for a new hole.

come on people now. help this become a reality. :)

for more information please contact Steve Godar [email protected]

Terrible idea. 1 giant swamp, and once a few people clunk some cars with discs people are going to be mad. What moron came up with this idiotic idea, keep them things out of my yard or my dog will rip them to shreds.

Terrible idea. 1 giant swamp, and once a few people clunk some cars with discs people are going to be mad. What moron came up with this idiotic idea, keep them things out of my yard or my dog will rip them to shreds.

When I saw the email notice and this reply, I thought "how much you wanna bet this is the first and only post from this person"? Sure enough…

Must be from the Google search...

Wow, this guy is doing anything to stop it...he needs to be educated some more...

If his dog attacks me or any of my discs as he stated, then this dog will not be returning to his master because he's already being taken away by the animal control and the master will be fully responsible due to "training" the dog to do this violence acts.

I don't think stooping to the level of veiled threats is a good way to promote DG, especially for a new upcoming course looking to get built.

I think a lot of people who have land bordering on a park think of it as a buffer of their own property, or even an extension. I remember back when I used to mow lawns for a landscaping company, we had a customer who lived next to a golf course and they were so annoyed by all the golf balls landing in their yard. Hmmm… maybe you shouldn't have purchased a house next to a golf course?

Parks evolve, and it would be a shame to see this course stonewalled just because the neighbors want to keep the status quo just for their personal benefit.

We had trouble right after our course was built by neighbors who felt "threatened" by disc golfers getting discs in their yards. Instead of them asking to move the one hole where it was happening, they demanded that the disc golf course be removed. People who don't understand the sport and automatically threaten everything attached to it are the biggest headaches.

Listen here morons, first of all I'm a better Disc Golfer than any of you pencil neck balding 45 year olds who think they are hot stuff after they go to Dicks Sporting Goods and buy a starter set.

Secondly, this proposed course is RIGHT NEXT to a DOG PARK. It's going to be hillarious when Cujo snatches an errant throw. Or when you hit Leroy's car in the parking lots right next to the course.

It's elitist morons like you that give Disc Golf a bad name and why it will be a total failure at the PLSP.

Oh no! Disc golfers have never had to throw in close proximity to dog parks or roads or playgrounds or park pavilions or baseball fields or parking lots or houses or walking paths. Whatever shall we do if a disc gets snagged by a dog because we all throw errant shots and have no control? I guess since we all play with Innova starter sets that we should just quit. I guess this must be the first course designed by the course designers and they have no idea what they are doing and will not change any of it. I'm going to take my 150g Leopard now and go throw it into traffic because I don't know any better.

Wow, this negative person really needs a hobby instead of coming here to bash people. Sorry you bought land next to a public park and it didn't turn out as you planned.

Can't wait to throw some discs at this course!

I made constructive comments and it was you who bashed. Now I'm going to make certain this Disc Golf Course will never happen, or if it does it will be total crap! Good day and good bye!

I didn't realize calling people "elitist morons" and "balding pencil necks" were constructive comments. I'm pretty sure comments about dogs getting discs and discs hitting cars would have been more constructive if they were made to the park and the designers of the course. Commenting about them on a message board full of disc golf nuts who want to see the sport spread in any way has not and will not get anybody anywhere. I really hope that you don't play disc golf and that you're just an angry woman who likes her dogs and yard a lot.

Constructive comments? In your first post you called the people involved in this project "idiots" and "morons" and threatened to have your dog destroy people's discs. Hardly "constructive"; destructive is more like it. Regardless, it's pretty obvious by now to anyone following this thread that you are here merely to troll, rather than engage in a discussion.

And please spare us your "I was only trying to help" sob story, you signed up on a pro-disc golf message board just to insult members and threaten to stonewall a new course, and you are surprised by the lack of a warm welcome?

I think the attitude shown here exemplifies the type of person and attitude people encounter when trying to get new courses built. I hope your "good bye" means we no longer have to hear from you on the message boards here. Somehow rather, I think we'll be getting further trolling.

Haha, actions are being taken behind the scenes to make sure this course never happens!

You ran your fat mouths too much!

Haha, actions are being taken behind the scenes to make sure this course never happens!

You ran your fat mouths too much!

So you sign up on this board just to taunt people, call them idiots and threaten to have your dog destroy discs, and we're the ones with the fat mouths?

And nice to know you can't rely on a fair process, if indeed you have any secret powers at all to block this course's development. Interesting that you need to resort to underhanded techniques to get your way, rather than let the process be decided on fairly. Sounds like there must be some strong momentum in favor if you need to pull strings to shoot this down.

The trolling continues…

So who is "Reality"? Just another keyboard commando hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

Latest posts