• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portland, OR

Brockness Monster

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn
Heading up to Mt. Rainier next month and planning on staying in Portland for a couple days. What 2 courses would be good for early morning rounds? Trying to avoid crowds, but also play a great round.

I was thinking Pier and Blue Lake, but I have not played either and I don't know if they are crowded early

Heading up to Mt. Rainier next month and planning on staying in Portland for a couple days. What 2 courses would be good for early morning rounds? Trying to avoid crowds, but also play a great round.

Riverbend (Milo McIver) was not crowded when I played there (weekday afternoon/evening), but I saw something about a recent fire there. Timber Park is near Milo, but I have not played it.

Pier Park is well worth playing, but I will defer to locals regarding when it is least crowded.

You could also head out to Horning's Hideout . . . :D

Horning's Hideout is a MUST. I also recommend Buxton Woods and LL Stub Stewart right next door. I've played Pier 4-5 times I'd say and we were always waiting for the tee box and that was 5-10 years ago so I assume it's gotten worse since the disc golf boom. Early morning should be good all the hippies stay up late ;) . I thought Blue lake was overrated IMO but I also prefer very wooded courses and dislike open drives for the most part. I played it in the afternoon when it was brand new and no one else was there but as always YMMV. Milo and Timber is unplayable right now as it's burning down; several homes in the area have been destroyed and thousands of people evacuated.

Last edited:
I was thinking Pier and Blue Lake, but I have not played either and I don't know if they are crowded early

I enjoyed both of these. I saw no one at Blue lake on a Friday afternoon. Pier had decent play, but it never slowed us down. I want to say that was a Sunday morning, but can't be sure.