• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post a cool disc golf photo

elmex humble brag? Need to go to the UP to get an ace with all those gnarly, thick wooded gems by you? :D

had to sneak it in

someone sounds bitter cuz their wife keeps hittin aces while you just document them ;)

no in all seriousness it was cuz it was a course posted on the sign

i saw powder mill too which i played

gotta pad my stats somehow

A collage of photos of directional signs I put up at my course this week.

I made signs for every 18 hole course in Upper Michigan plus a bunch of the best/most famous courses from around the world. Some signs are actually for "multi-courses" (Smuggler's Notch, Selah Ranch, Highbridge Hills).

The distances are 100% accurate...the direction the signs point are not. :D

I love small little touches like that, the decorative flourishes that really show a course is well loved and cared for. Even better if they have specific significance for the course in question.

The biking in Copper Harbor is among the best in the mid-west.
I hear rumors about a course in the Hancock area, but nothing happening so far.

if yall had just a little moar dg courses it would be an amazing place for me to hit up

i went to marquette which i enjoyed but that was during the winter for fat tire biking

ive heard great things about copper harbor but something about half the trails being closed this year or something

69362531_2425191110851678_6841826771600408576_n.jpg

Tournament discs are back! Not usually one to care too much about stamps but these are sick

Attachments

• 6BFEF125-0B06-4183-A178-19BEED306A75.jpg
    6BFEF125-0B06-4183-A178-19BEED306A75.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 54
A collage of photos of directional signs I put up at my course this week.

I made signs for every 18 hole course in Upper Michigan plus a bunch of the best/most famous courses from around the world. Some signs are actually for "multi-courses" (Smuggler's Notch, Selah Ranch, Highbridge Hills).

The distances are 100% accurate...the direction the signs point are not. :D

Just HAD to put Hillcrest Farm in kilometers lol

Nice work!!

Scored this sweet Sphinx stamped, signed Zoe Andyke signature Alpaca during a game of skittles after our tournament this weekend. Also got to play 3 out of 4 rounds on a card with Zoe which was so cool!

Attachments

• 48F4DEF0-176B-4CCF-A002-AB3B77B98861.jpg
    48F4DEF0-176B-4CCF-A002-AB3B77B98861.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 53
Ran into this guy* at Echo Valley, an excellent & newly permanent course found between Dayton and Cincinnati, OH. He resides near (I think) Hole #2's fairway. Course page: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12297

*Not sure if it's a guy or gal as I played during the Summer.

Osage-Orange-Echo-Valley.jpg

Really glad some folks thought it worthwhile to put up a placard because I would've walked by oblivious otherwise. Not being familiar with the Osage Orange, I later looked it up after the round - ah, a Hedge Apple tree! Whether you call it the Osage Orange, Hedge Apple, or Bowwood, read on if you wish to learn more.

Most of us are probably familiar with the tree's large green fruits: they drop like bombs in the Fall, mostly left to rot where they lay because not one of God's creatures thinks they are much good to eat. As a schoolboy, I kicked many a round, rotting green corpse - ka-boom! and a satisfying explosion of Hedge Apple bits showers the sidewalk. Beware the freshly fallen fruits, though - they are not so yielding to a size 6 kick.

The Osage Orange is a decidedly American tree, with its original range restricted to the Red River Valley region of Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. The fruit of the Osage Orange is decidedly unwanted by foraging animals, which makes it an evolutionary curiosity. One theory supposes that the fruits were more attractive/ digestible to the megafauna of a bygone era, making them a modern anachronism.

Native Americans, however, highly prized the hardwood of the tree as a crafting material. The Osage reportedly traveled hundreds of miles to find single trees from which high-quality bows or clubs could be made. John Bradbury, a Scottish traveler, reported in 1810 that the price of a bow made from Osage Orange was a "horse and a blanket," which is about the 1810-era-equivalent of a Pound bag filled with Tour Series Discmania.

While in St. Louis during the staging part of the Corps of Discovery Expedition, Meriwether Lewis sent cuttings of the Osage Orange to President Jefferson. The Smithsonian writes that this was probably the expedition's most significant botanical discovery: "the first shipment of botanical specimens sent to President Jefferson contained the seeds of thousands of miles of fences."

Characterized by tough, gnarly outer bark with scattered thorns set on zigzagging branches, the Osage Orange was used by early settlers as an effective barrier tree, exceeding the hedge plant standard of "horse-high, bull-strong, and pig-tight". Plus it was hardy & easy to grow quickly. Use of the Osage Orange as a hedge plant accelerated in the 1850s through the efforts of John A. Wright, editor of Prairie Farmer, and Professor Jonathan B. Turner, who believed "God designed Osage Orange especially for the purpose of fencing the prairies." Nearly a hundred years later, the Osage Orange would be one of the primary trees used in FDR's Great Plains Shelterbelt project, one of the federal responses to the Dust Bowl. "To be used in a Hedge" is probably how the Osage Orange originally came to Ohio.

At first, I was worried that some harm might befall The Largest Osage Orange in Warren County, now that his home had become a permanent disc golf fairway. But then, I read this bit in Our Native Trees and How to Identify Them (one of the most important early books of American botany): "The wood [of the Osage Orange] is practically incorruptible."

Frisbees beware!

Sources:

https://personal.evangel.edu//badgers/Web/Osage/History and Economic Uses.pdf

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/osage-oranges-take-a-bough-105043145/?no-ist=

https://archive.org/details/ournativetreesa00keelgoog/page/n304/mode/2up?view=theater

Ran into this guy* at Echo Valley, an excellent & newly permanent course found between Dayton and Cincinnati, OH. He resides near (I think) Hole #2's fairway. Course page: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12297

*Not sure if it's a guy or gal as I played during the Summer.

Osage-Orange-Echo-Valley.jpg

Really glad some folks thought it worthwhile to put up a placard because I would've walked by oblivious otherwise. Not being familiar with the Osage Orange, I later looked it up after the round - ah, a Hedge Apple tree! Whether you call it the Osage Orange, Hedge Apple, or Bowwood, read on if you wish to learn more.

Most of us are probably familiar with the tree's large green fruits: they drop like bombs in the Fall, mostly left to rot where they lay because not one of God's creatures thinks they are much good to eat. As a schoolboy, I kicked many a round, rotting green corpse - ka-boom! and a satisfying explosion of Hedge Apple bits showers the sidewalk. Beware the freshly fallen fruits, though - they are not so yielding to a size 6 kick.

The Osage Orange is a decidedly American tree, with its original range restricted to the Red River Valley region of Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. The fruit of the Osage Orange is decidedly unwanted by foraging animals, which makes it an evolutionary curiosity. One theory supposes that the fruits were more attractive/ digestible to the megafauna of a bygone era, making them a modern anachronism.

Native Americans, however, highly prized the hardwood of the tree as a crafting material. The Osage reportedly traveled hundreds of miles to find single trees from which high-quality bows or clubs could be made. John Bradbury, a Scottish traveler, reported in 1810 that the price of a bow made from Osage Orange was a "horse and a blanket," which is about the 1810-era-equivalent of a Pound bag filled with Tour Series Discmania.

While in St. Louis during the staging part of the Corps of Discovery Expedition, Meriwether Lewis sent cuttings of the Osage Orange to President Jefferson. The Smithsonian writes that this was probably the expedition's most significant botanical discovery: "the first shipment of botanical specimens sent to President Jefferson contained the seeds of thousands of miles of fences."

Characterized by tough, gnarly outer bark with scattered thorns set on zigzagging branches, the Osage Orange was used by early settlers as an effective barrier tree, exceeding the hedge plant standard of "horse-high, bull-strong, and pig-tight". Plus it was hardy & easy to grow quickly. Use of the Osage Orange as a hedge plant accelerated in the 1850s through the efforts of John A. Wright, editor of Prairie Farmer, and Professor Jonathan B. Turner, who believed "God designed Osage Orange especially for the purpose of fencing the prairies." Nearly a hundred years later, the Osage Orange would be one of the primary trees used in FDR's Great Plains Shelterbelt project, one of the federal responses to the Dust Bowl. "To be used in a Hedge" is probably how the Osage Orange originally came to Ohio.

At first, I was worried that some harm might befall The Largest Osage Orange in Warren County, now that his home had become a permanent disc golf fairway. But then, I read this bit in Our Native Trees and How to Identify Them (one of the most important early books of American botany): "The wood [of the Osage Orange] is practically incorruptible."

Frisbees beware!

Sources:

https://personal.evangel.edu//badgers/Web/Osage/History and Economic Uses.pdf

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/osage-oranges-take-a-bough-105043145/?no-ist=

https://archive.org/details/ournativetreesa00keelgoog/page/n304/mode/2up?view=theater

A great lesson, as always Deez. :thmbup:

Ran into this guy* at Echo Valley,...

I've got a smattering of osage orange on my property, none anywhere close to the size of that one. That Echo Valley osage tree is a MONSTER, freaking huge.

I remember camping with the boy scouts as a kid in a grove of osage orange trees. We divided up into 2 teams and had a extended hedge apple war. Not sure which was worse, getting hit with a rotten one or a fresh one. We all had many opportunities to experience both.

Latest posts