• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post a Picture of the First Basket Hole You Ever Played

Information blackout is hilarious. Back in the early 80's we did not know of any course directory. At the time of my discovery of the game, I was reasonably convince that it was some kind of unicorn. There was no interwebz in my world, and you certainly could not read about the game in the Detroit Free Press. It was only through playing and chatting with other players that we found out about other courses.

Eventually, we found the PDGA course directory. We used it for traveling, for years. Again, well before we had access to any sort of navigation system or GPS. We traveled on the written directions to courses, by locals. (once in town, turn left at the diner, then right on the dirt road near farmer John's cattle barn) That sure provided for some crazy adventures. So many times, stopping at a local gas station asking directions. The looks you would get, they sure had never heard of Frisbee golf. Met some great people along the way though.

The PDGA directories were used up to mid 2000's online before the vacation or offline in the last year or two book would not want much older as old old courses from the beginning were getting pulled all the time. Even then with the notes and help online from others in comments for directions to a course, sometimes was impossible to find if the course existed at all, in one case the course was made up in Ithaca New York as one near Cornell University, I would like to believe as a Collage prank to get into a fraternity.

Adler Park Hole #1 in Libertyville, IL

3c9964aa.jpg

Horizons Park. Winston-Salem, NC
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=355&mode=media#

Yeah... the hole is completely wide open. 153 feet. But in the mid 80's I was thrilled to see a basket course after years of playing object golf. Played with a Masters Frisbee for a year or two before I finally found an actual golf disc, a Lightning plane disc. Maybe a P-52?

I've got an old friend who still carries a Lightning Disc from 1986. He uses it for little "pancake" flop shots out of trouble.

a1093191_m.jpg

Boone Woods Park - extinct layout. Would have been 1997 or 98.

---

I see the Madeline Bertrand course being discussed a bit previously in the thread. My brother in law and I just happened to play it for the first time a week ago. What a pleasant surprise! It's obviously an older, shorter, slightly outdated design, but there's still some real gems on that course. My biggest complaint was just how close a lot of the tees were to the previous basket, but you tend to see that quite a bit with these older courses.

We played Rum Villiage in South Bend first which made a great compliment to Bertrand in my opinion.

Latest posts