• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power Pocket and Arc-My new video

A couple of things, if you were to go back up thread to where SW responded to my comments, you will note, while he disassembled them, at no point did he say, you're stupid, or you're a jerk. This is one of the reasons that I quite admire SW and his thoughts. Somehow, he manages to keep an even keel, even when others attack him.

The threads here have been amazingly informative, even for an old, old man. Thanks for the time and thoughts from everyone.

Hmm okay that makes sense. But just to confirm, to set that lower arm angle where you want it in the power pocket position, it is shoulder protraction that gets it there right? Then when you swing through the ARC the shoulder just unloads or doesn't or whatever it does after just naturally right?

You tell me. AFTER you focus on it for about 200 throws. :)

at no point did he say, you're stupid, or you're a jerk.

I would certainly hope not... I would think that anyone should be able to respond to a forum post without saying "hey dumbass" as an opener.

Of course, there is more than one way to say someone is stupid without actually saying it. The Internet is dripping with it. Just an observation. No one in particular in mind.

I would certainly hope not... I would think that anyone should be able to respond to a forum post without saying "hey dumbass" as an opener.

Of course, there is more than one way to say someone is stupid without actually saying it. The Internet is dripping with it. Just an observation. No one in particular in mind.

I am amazed at the things I've read, and some of the things I've seen written to SW, and Steve on the par thread. You are correct though, there are ways to say things that are acceptable and ways that are downright unproductive.

Great to see you on here, Bradley. We first chatted quite a bit back on the old DGR forums in 2010 or so. Your original vids helped me get over 450' back then. I really appreciate your teaching.

I agree with what you are saying but I tend to keep my elbow bent a bit more and thus the disc closer to my sternum. It may be my lankiness (close to Simon's phenotype), I'm not sure. I feel and have seen if I keep my elbow straighter (ie/ not as sharp of an angle), the disc arcs around my body and it throws my timing off, resulting in an early release.

I reach straight back and pull straight back on the same line to pull through. I stop my shoulders when they are pointing at the target or optimal line, so if I am understanding correctly, it should be the same thing you're talking about. Am I off in this? I feel that I am...

His ARC is small and he has a tendency to throw to the right. He could probably improve his distance and accuracy and overall ease of effort in throwing if he were to work on thing that I discussed in the video. Don't ever think that all of these top Pros have ideal mechanics. They do not. They are really good athletes and many of them make do with less than ideal mechanics. Just look at the golfers from the 1960s and 1970s. Many of them had swings that were just horrific to look at but they could really golf their ball and they won lots of money andwon lots of tournaments.

I'm trying to show people mechanics that will improve them even though they are not Elite athletes which is what everybody wants. I I think it is more fruitful to discuss a simple technique that is easy to learn then try to understand how a particular athletes makes do with his technique.

In this gif, Oakley isn't doing that "point the lower arm 45° left of target" thing very well, right? Is that supposed to be a conscious action, to arrow left by making a wide arc as you untuck?

I am super happy everyone started arguing! Everyone got all worked up, led me down the technique "rabbit hole" and forced self evaluation. Next thing I know, BW was coerced into making a video, and I went out into the field to practice for the first time since my 1 year old was born. No X step, putters only, and a few epiphanies occurred. I hate to add to the argument, but it is all perception. When I removed the lower body, and only focused on the power pocket and big arc, everything fell into place with little effort. Timing was back, and distance immediately improved. I wasn't worried about bracing or anything else, and the putters were going 275 with ease. Accuracy and consistency have a ways to go, but good strides today

You tell me. AFTER you focus on it for about 200 throws. :)

If it'd stop snowing I'd have this done for you tonight. :\

I'm pretty sure the only way I can keep that arrow pointed in the right direction is with a closed shoulder or shoulder protraction. Any other way you can do it, would be full hip and shoulder rotation which doesn't make sense right?

I am super happy everyone started arguing! Everyone got all worked up, led me down the technique "rabbit hole" and forced self evaluation. Next thing I know, BW was coerced into making a video, and I went out into the field to practice for the first time since my 1 year old was born. No X step, putters only, and a few epiphanies occurred. I hate to add to the argument, but it is all perception. When I removed the lower body, and only focused on the power pocket and big arc, everything fell into place with little effort. Timing was back, and distance immediately improved. I wasn't worried about bracing or anything else, and the putters were going 275 with ease. Accuracy and consistency have a ways to go, but good strides today

You were likely off balance in your x-step. When you removed lower body you were allowed to use just your upper body and benefited from the effects of snap. Very good steps towards adding that x-step back in and putting it all together.

Sounds likely based on the info, at least.

If it'd stop snowing I'd have this done for you tonight. :\

I'm pretty sure the only way I can keep that arrow pointed in the right direction is with a closed shoulder or shoulder protraction. Any other way you can do it, would be full hip and shoulder rotation which doesn't make sense right?

Yes. It works too. I was able to do some experimentation today with good results.

Loving this thread, getting people to think, re-think, BW is popping plastic 450 or so (please post a video!!) @ 51 years old, this thread is gold, kicked things up a notch around here lately which is always fun. :)

You were likely off balance in your x-step. When you removed lower body you were allowed to use just your upper body and benefited from the effects of snap. Very good steps towards adding that x-step back in and putting it all together.

Sounds likely based on the info, at least.

Balance was fine. I was out of time, clearing my front hip too early, causing me to open ,y shoulder and move the disc around my body, rather than pulling through the power pocket. If I know what to mimic, I can self analyze, and put in the good practice. I spent 2 decades playing ball golf, college, mini tour, and spent many summers teaching golf clinics and providing lessons to people of all ages. This power pocket explanation allowed me to think critically, differently. The other stuff just fell in line because it was sound, just out of time

Yes. It works too. I was able to do some experimentation today with good results.

So your shoulder is not protracted (bent forward shoulder joint movement), but your hips/shoulder are rotate to a point where your lower arm/elbow is point 45 degree left of target? Are you saying that? And that is works?

Sorry, just clarifying for my own understanding.

Loving this thread, getting people to think, re-think, BW is popping plastic 450 or so (please post a video!!) @ 51 years old, this thread is gold, kicked things up a notch around here lately which is always fun. :)

DF, I lurked on DGR back in 2008-2010 and found the vitriole got in the way of my comprehension. Often two people argue the most when they are really saying the same thing, right?
Anyways, seeing SW and BW and others calm down and begin to clarify and amplify this point (power pocket and arc and elbow orientation) has been absolutely dynamite.
Now if this stupid hurricane Florence would just dry up and blow away so I can get some filed time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So your shoulder is not protracted (bent forward shoulder joint movement), but your hips/shoulder are rotate to a point where your lower arm/elbow is point 45 degree left of target? Are you saying that? And that is works?

Sorry, just clarifying for my own understanding.

There is protraction. I don't really know what you're saying about the hips. At the power pocket you should have your hips and shoulders pointing at the target. This is the point you should be aiming your imaginary arm
arrow 45 degrees left of target, even though it never really gets there.

There is protraction. I don't really know what you're saying about the hips. At the power pocket you should have your hips and shoulders pointing at the target. This is the point you should be aiming your imaginary arm
arrow 45 degrees left of target, even though it never really gets there.

Agreed with all bolded and it's what I do. Thanks for clarifying.

I've been misunderstanding the concept of a closed shoulder all this time! Wow

It seems the toughest thing about getting a video of me throwing is I never have anyone with me when I throw, and I feel a bit self conscious asking the old lady walking her dog to video me while I throw and talk into the camera... haha

I have videos of me throwing over a decade ago and I had to use a tripod and my Canon camera (which I still have and I haven't used in a decade).

Latest posts