• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pre-flight number Innova plastic

autocrosscrx

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So I've played disc golf casually the last 2 years or so.

Back around 2002-2004, my supervisor came into work one day, handed everyone on my team a disc and said we were going to play disc golf after work. I played a time or 2 and it was alright, but none of us could really do anything and it kinda hurt my arm, so it didn't stick and I never thought of disc golf again until a friend asked me to play 2 years ago.

Fast forward to about a year ago. I was going thru a box of sports equipment and at the bottom was a stack of promotional frisbees. Inside one was the disc that my supervisor gave me back in the day. Innova Wolf, no flight numbers, DX style stamp. I read the comments on Infinite and found a couple threads hear and everyone seemed to hate the disc, so I kept it, but didn't throw it.

I tried it on a whim towards the end of last summer. And I love it. First, unlike any newer DX plastic that I've held, it is soft. I can fold it. It is softer than my Classic Blend Judge, but not quite as soft as my Soft Magnet. It flies straight as an arrow for me and finishes with a very slight, but reliable fade. I don't have a big arm and like understable mids and putters, but I regularly turn over my Stratus and my Deputy and my Sol, etc, etc, etc. This is way more stable than those discs. I can throw it on a hyzer and it flips to flat. It even holds up to wind, very much unlike the discs that I mentioned that might go anywhere on a windy day. And this disc gives me no ground play, so it is very useful throwing out of trouble near the basket. It is probably my most thrown disc in my bag. But I'm starting to throw it less because I'm afraid I might lose it.

Does all older DX plastic have this feel or is this some kind of perfect storm that worked out for me? And what is the best way to find the older stuff?

Most players that have been in the game a while, at least that I've talked with, believe the older DX and ProD base plastic felt better back in the day.
More durable, more grippy.
The watershed seems to have been the introduction of Pro/X, Champ/Z and Star/ESP plastic.
Personally, if I want to get the feel of the old DX plastic, I get some version of the Pro or Elite X plastic. It's not available for all molds, but you can find it for most molds.

PFN discs fly different because they didn't have the numbers to guide them. Once the numbers were added, the discs finally knew what they were supposed to do.

*no science was involved in the making of this post

And some discs from Innova lost the multi-purpose on the disc mold, mostly on the DX plastic when they got flight numbers for all but the DX at the time, DX got flight numbers later, same with some Pro Plastic.

Most players that have been in the game a while, at least that I've talked with, believe the older DX and ProD base plastic felt better back in the day.
More durable, more grippy.
The watershed seems to have been the introduction of Pro/X, Champ/Z and Star/ESP plastic.
Personally, if I want to get the feel of the old DX plastic, I get some version of the Pro or Elite X plastic. It's not available for all molds, but you can find it for most molds.

Not true of Pro D from 2000--end of 2005 that was as stiff as plastic comes legally and was not even close to X nope was not with grip or the like prior to that the baseline was under a different name, soft X for putters if not soft would be the closest to pre 2005 Pro D. Then DX was not like Pro at all but more like current stiff XT plastic at one point and like runs like Soft R-Pro. Now DX varies so much inside runs it is not funny, from Soft to stiff in F2 plastic

Last edited:
I tried it on a whim towards the end of last summer. And I love it. First, unlike any newer DX plastic that I've held, it is soft. I can fold it. It is softer than my Classic Blend Judge, but not quite as soft as my Soft Magnet. It flies straight as an arrow for me and finishes with a very slight, but reliable fade. I don't have a big arm and like understable mids and putters, but I regularly turn over my Stratus and my Deputy and my Sol, etc, etc, etc. This is way more stable than those discs. I can throw it on a hyzer and it flips to flat. It even holds up to wind, very much unlike the discs that I mentioned that might go anywhere on a windy day. And this disc gives me no ground play, so it is very useful throwing out of trouble near the basket. It is probably my most thrown disc in my bag. But I'm starting to throw it less because I'm afraid I might lose it.

Does all older DX plastic have this feel or is this some kind of perfect storm that worked out for me? And what is the best way to find the older stuff?

funny... when dx went to being that softer waxy stuff (1999 or so) was when I stopped liking it.

After giving my old Wolf such praise for landing so soft near the basket, I had a 50 foot roll away last night.