• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pro forehand distance

dehaas

* Ace Member *
We are seeing more and more pros throwing forehand when the situation calls for it, and I'm curious as to what kind of d they're getting. Big Jerm and Wysocki are known for having a great forehand, but you see McBeth, Schusterick, Avery, Ulibarri, and others using it more and more. I was out throwing Monday and uncorked the longest forehand I've ever thrown by quite a bit and it made me wonder how far out there the pros can put a forehand.

One of the most beautiful forehand shots I personally have ever seen is at the 2:45 mark in this vid...

400' hole and Koling leaves it about 30' short without even trying.

One of the most beautiful forehand shots I personally have ever seen is at the 2:45 mark in this vid...

400' hole and Koling leaves it about 30' short without even trying.

To me, the FH drive on number 3 right after that is more impressive.....

To me, the FH drive on number 3 right after that is more impressive.....

I agree. Jerm is probably the best forehand in the game right now, b/c he not only throws them for shots that turn right but also because he can very easily throw neutral to slightly understable discs on a fh and get them to flip up and glide, and even turnover slightly when he needs them to. Many of the others only use the fh for goot and shots turning right. Being able to throw fh looking at the hole, particularly on tunnel shots like Jerm did on hole 3 and knowing he can keep that disc dead on line until basically it gets to the circle, is a difference-making tool.

I agree. Jerm is probably the best forehand in the game right now, b/c he not only throws them for shots that turn right but also because he can very easily throw neutral to slightly understable discs on a fh and get them to flip up and glide, and even turnover slightly when he needs them to. Many of the others only use the fh for goot and shots turning right. Being able to throw fh looking at the hole, particularly on tunnel shots like Jerm did on hole 3 and knowing he can keep that disc dead on line until basically it gets to the circle, is a difference-making tool.

Yeah it was pretty impressive. I think I'll practice my awful forehand a bit today.

There's a video somewhere but I was standing right behind Jerm when he threw the first forehand to clear the Winthrop lake from the clubhouse lawn. It's downhill but I recall it was 500+.

I'd be surprised if both Wysocki and Jerm can't clear 500' on level ground... I've heard stories.

I know a fair number of open players who can clear 450' sidearm - and not even touring guys. They're scattered all over the place in every region. Some of them aren't that good, some of them are spectacular - but there are plenty of big forehand arms out there. I used to clear 450', but tore my rotator cuff... just getting close to it again 4.5 years later. :p

350ish flat ground is really all you need. Just
Because Ricky and Jeremy can bomb doesn't mean everyone else on tour does!

I'd venture that Will actually could get one out 400+ but I think he's more comfy just doing BH's on those shots. Uli has one of the most hilarious looking FH forms out of the top players. Looks so awkward but he is really deadly with it.

... wysocki is still #1? McBeth is doing way better than Wysocki this year. I'll never get how they do their world rankings. doesn't make any sense to me!

Last edited:
I'm nothing but an average Am. However, I can tell you that I'd be rated 50 points lower if I couldn't throw FH 400'. It saves me several strokes each round. At Am Worlds, despite playing terribly, it probably saved me 15+ strokes.

I agree that Saki-bomb and Jerm can bomb FH over 450', but I disagree with "all you need is 350". The ability to throw a FH hyzer 375' is a huge advantage. I'm living proof. Having a great BH turnover shot is just as good, but in the wind, not a reliable.

I'm nothing but an average Am. However, I can tell you that I'd be rated 50 points lower if I couldn't throw FH 400'. It saves me several strokes each round. At Am Worlds, despite playing terribly, it probably saved me 15+ strokes.

I agree that Saki-bomb and Jerm can bomb FH over 450', but I disagree with "all you need is 350". The ability to throw a FH hyzer 375' is a huge advantage. I'm living proof. Having a great BH turnover shot is just as good, but in the wind, not a reliable.

Well Paul Ulibarri seems to do pretty well with his 350', and Climo was considered pretty decent and he rarely threw a sidearm.

I'd be surprised if both Wysocki and Jerm can't clear 500' on level ground... I've heard stories.

I know a fair number of open players who can clear 450' sidearm - and not even touring guys. They're scattered all over the place in every region. Some of them aren't that good, some of them are spectacular - but there are plenty of big forehand arms out there. I used to clear 450', but tore my rotator cuff... just getting close to it again 4.5 years later. :p

350ish flat ground is really all you need. Just
Because Ricky and Jeremy can bomb doesn't mean everyone else on tour does!

Well, Wysocki is the best player in the world. I think his forehand distance is one of many reasons.

I don't doubt any of these things being true. Likely so. I do think, however, that there are very few players who throw both FH & BH reasonably equally as often that can throw that 405-ft tunnel shot forehand, straight and low like Big Jerm did on hole 5 (see the 9:25 mark on the video).

How many times a round does one have to throw 400+ feet? Seriously. Im not saying its not an advantage to be able to throw over 400 feet both ways. But they're are alot of sponsored 1000+ rated guys that dont! These guys are esp. good because They play/practice constantly meaning they are consistent and they stay out of trouble.... You Dont See Paul,Will and Dave uncorking huge forehand shots do you?

You don't have to have a sidearm to be successful. Feldbeard and Schultz are proof of that. However, look at the top players today. Ricky, Paul, Paul, Will, Jerm, Doss all have forehands. Even Climo is developing one now AFTER winning 12 world titles. It's a skill too valuable to ignore. And there are many holes where it would benefit to throw 450' rather than 350' forehand, regardless of what backhand you have. I can think of 5-6 at my local courses alone.

Oh I think you need a Forehand.. I just dont think you need to be able to throw one over a Mountain. Its useless trying to talk about Golf line Distance online, everyone throws really far and never gets in trouble for trying to do so.

Edit ^^ Also your "Home Course" looks WIDE open.