• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Problem with technique?

Nimi

I can throw a DX Roc up to 270 feet straight. Yeti Pro Aviar and Spike i can throw up to 230 feet straight.

But here's the problem:

If i put the release angle straight, I can't throw a Star TL 330 feet without having it turn over... Same with a Teebird and Leopard.

Is this normal or is there just a lot of off-axis torque in my throws? Should i just release the disc with a little hyzer when i want to throw longer? Or should i just keep throwing midranges for max distance?

confused based on your distances listed. if you can throw a putter almost 250 feet and a ROC almost 300 ft straight you should be able to have the power to throw the TL/teebird/leopard without it turning over and running away on you. Every disc you listed is exactly what is in my bag and to me it sounds like you might be trying to add extra power and it's causing you to have OAT/a bad release angle. a teebird should be the most forgiving and come back at least somewhat.

I've been throwing the hell out of some Comets, and now I don't know if it's smoothed things out, or created other issues, but a Teebird is overstable as hell for me now.

I've been throwing the hell out of some Comets, and now I don't know if it's smoothed things out, or created other issues, but a Teebird is overstable as hell for me now.

Could be that you had OAT issues that were making it appear less stable before and throwing the Comet has smoothed out the OAT.

It's impossible to say, soley on throwing distances. People are too quick to jump on the "oat" problem, when they have no idea.

It does sound like you're throwing those discs a bit differently based on the distance and flight descriptions. Are you using the same throw and for all of those or do you change something when you throw the drivers?

If you do change something (say try to throw the drivers harder) then it might be OAT or it might be that you're unintentionally throwing them with a bit of anhyzer rather than flat. If you change your grip you could be doing something that's causing OAT with the driver grip. Check to make sure you aren't rolling your wrist (i.e. your palm is facing upward during the follow through) and that you aren't finishing on a different plane than the one you're throwing on (i.e. you are following through downwards with your arm rather than flat on a flat throw). Much of that stuff will be easier to see on video, but it's some stuff to look out for.

If the answer is that you throw them all the same I'd be interested to hear what happens when you try to throw all of them from a bit of a hyzer and on a full hyzer. Can you get all of them to hold a hyzer when thrown with the same power it takes to get the distances you listed?

It's impossible to say, soley on throwing distances. People are too quick to jump on the "oat" problem, when they have no idea.

There aren't many things that cause an overstable disc to turn over at short distances. It's probably a combination of grip inconsistency and OAT induced by trying too hard/lack of confidence. Work on finding a good grip and smoothing out your throws with fairway drivers. Limiting yourself to midranges isn't a great idea.

Last edited:
It does sound like you're throwing those discs a bit differently based on the distance and flight descriptions. Are you using the same throw and for all of those or do you change something when you throw the drivers?

If you do change something (say try to throw the drivers harder) then it might be OAT or it might be that you're unintentionally throwing them with a bit of anhyzer rather than flat. If you change your grip you could be doing something that's causing OAT with the driver grip. Check to make sure you aren't rolling your wrist (i.e. your palm is facing upward during the follow through) and that you aren't finishing on a different plane than the one you're throwing on (i.e. you are following through downwards with your arm rather than flat on a flat throw). Much of that stuff will be easier to see on video, but it's some stuff to look out for.

If the answer is that you throw them all the same I'd be interested to hear what happens when you try to throw all of them from a bit of a hyzer and on a full hyzer. Can you get all of them to hold a hyzer when thrown with the same power it takes to get the distances you listed?
I use a different grip: fork grip (stacked grip?) for putters and midranges and normal powergrip for all drivers.

I have tried using less power for my drives but it always ends up going about 270 feet and fading a lot to the left.

Maybe is should try the fork grip with drivers? I'm just not sure whether it works well with wider-rimmed discs.

I will also try throwing hyzers as you said when i get to the course.

Latest posts