• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed Disc Golf Course Gains Criticism

'Land Use' decisions ultimately boil down to ethics.

While many of the replies here are quite predictable (duh, disc golf site), I find the others' underlying rationales and their frameworks used to build arguments in these matters very telling.

In my personal experience, I've seen a few courses yanked for smaller conflicts than this one and as it turns out, everyone was better for it in the long run. As we can see in this country's current political climate, consensus building is no small task...

I am not sure I really understand much of anything you said here.....if you said anything. I am not sure how ethics come into play. I am not sure how some replies are predictable, yet opposing viewpoints are telling. What does that mean? :\:\:|

I am not sure I really understand much of anything you said here.....if you said anything. I am not sure how ethics come into play. I am not sure how some replies are predictable, yet opposing viewpoints are telling. What does that mean? :\:\:|

On a disc golf website many posts on a topic like this one are likely along the lines of 'keep the course! go team disc golf!' and thus are predictable.

Some replies are 'telling' because they may reveal first the values and priorities of the person sharing them and second because they may reveal the weight of consideration and nuance some one brings to this topic. In addition, some may watch this drama unfold and use that experience help them forestall or deal with some other similar situation in their life.

Ethics? I guess it comes down to how one defines 'ethics' but in general, it's safe to assume that in terms of land use, it means how to make best use of limited resources and 'best' is derived from one's (or community's) values and priorities.

I guess you're right. I didn't really say anything at all.

Don't know where you play but here in NJ we expect people to walk in the park. We politely wait and maybe educate somebody. Parks are meant to be used by ALL people including disc golfers.

Don't know where you play but here in NJ we expect people to walk in the park. We politely wait and maybe educate somebody. Parks are meant to be used by ALL people including disc golfers.
But not all parks are designed for or are ideal for universal usage, and a game that involves flying projectiles going hundreds of feet is often incompatible in a space that is already occupied with other activities.

I love disc golf, but it doesn't belong anywhere and everywhere.

Hello all, I'm happy to see some attention to a project I've been working on, and glad to see so many comments here.

I thought I should chime in here with same actual facts and accurate information on this particular course and park.

The parks department and I have been talking about this course for 15 months now. We have discussed their goals for a course, goals and plans for the park, as well as environmental concerns they have.
Over the course of the last year, I have designed a course that fills their goals, and remains within the parameters of the parks department ability, met with an arborist on site to discuss the overall plan and even address each tree we want to cut individually. I have sat down with the engineers and park department officials to discuss future park plans (a significant fenced in off-leash dog park, several new playgrounds, a new sledding hill will be cleared, several new pavilions, and renovations of the 4 restrooms facilities, as well as future parking lot and road repaving.... We have looked at the master plan, the current activities, the traffic in the park, the environmental impact, the tree clearing (and subsequent replanting required), and come up with a very good design to meet all of their needs and requirements.

As noted by several of you above, there are some legitimate objections and those are mainly being directly addressed by the parks department, there are a few 'exaggerated' or 'fear based' objections that are more or less being generated to hype up objections to the course. ts really 2-4 people that are really making a stink, as noted above a bit of NIMBYism is going on.

This is not unexpected by the parks department or myself, as this is fairly common anymore when proposing a new course.

OK, so background is roughly filled in - now to the course as it is currently designed. It will be a par 66, Blue level from the long tees, Red level from the short tees. Its excellent terrain that is densely wooded, elevation is significant, and there is some outstanding rock features. 20-30' wide fairways in a majority of the holes, that have been designed around the larger trees and will mainly remove saplings or already downed/damaged trees; we have been diligent about that. Its going to be a nice course, I'll leave it at that.

Where we are now is that there is quite a bit of public outcry, generated from a few individuals, that is against this course being installed. (Wait till they find out a dog park is going in....or that the sledding hill will clear as many trees as the disc golf course....)

What we can do about it is pass this petition along and generate some positive support for the course. Please add any comments that might explain why you might travel this area to play the course, or personal notes to the survey. There is a Freeholders (county council) meeting on May 9th where this will be a topic. Any support by then would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Adam Harris

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/please-support-the-passaic-county-disc-nj-golf

Last edited:
Long and Boring

I'm probably way too late to help you in your efforts, though I wholeheartedly support your cause, but maybe I can help the next person trying to put in a new course on public land.

As background, we just officially opened a new 18 hole course on City P&R property this week. It was almost two years in the making from conception to fruition. Here is how we did it.

1. Local golfers wanted a place to throw closer to home.

2. They found an unused, beat up section of the main City park.

3. They figured out a detailed plan to layout their course.

4. They approached P&R early and solicited guidance and assistance.

5. Once P&R was on fully board, they sent out to survey to all City residents to determine and quantify support.

6. Based on survey results (positive) they approached the City Council formally to request permission to continue with grant requests and planning.

7. Requested grants, partial sponsorship's, and other monetary requirements, plus volunteer hours. Received all of the above, City Council overwhelmingly approved the new course, with many stipulations including:

A. Removal of any healthy, mature tree greater than 24" in diameter was limited to less than a couple dozen.
B. Only dead or dying trees under 24" allowed to be removed.
C. Professional, certified arborist approval required for initial and/or any significant changes to plan.
D. Formal process for City, volunteer, and contractor duties specified.

8. Volunteers provided enough 'matching hours' to meet clause in funding requirements. Course fully laid out and marked. Loose debris piled for removal. Tee pads level and marked.

9. Funding officially secured. Baskets, concrete, and associated items ordered.

10. P&R team attacked with a vengeance. Interesting, fun work for them, professional assistance with heavy equipment for us. Between volunteers and professionals, we made tremendous progress in a very short time (2-3 weeks).

11. Installed baskets and played 18 holes of golf within a week. :clap:

Sorry for the long-windedness, but I wanted to remember this time. My first time helping put in a new course.

Latest posts