• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Proto Prism Insanity

phishbiscuits

Par Member
Good Day, All:

I received an all-Proton Insanity proto ("Prism" plastic) the other day. I enjoy the regular Proton Insanity very much. Suffice it to say, I paid more than I should have for this Prism version.

I was incredibly disappointed. It is domey, incredibly understable, and awkward in hand. Think like -4 turn rating... Compared to the Plasma, Neutron, and Proton versions of the disc (all board-flat and neutral), this is like a totally different mold.

I am NOT writing this post to complain. I am writing it to ask if others who received the "Queen" stamp or the proto stamp had similar experiences.

I am staying loyal to my other Insanity discs; however, this pretty pink disc is heading to a new owner (with a FULL disclosure of my experiences).

Thanks all!
Phishbiscuits

It's all one-color without sparkles. I didn't know that the sparkle Proton can cool strangely. I have one Insanity thats's sparkle and it's even flatter than the two Neutrons and one Plasma I own (like I said, I otherwise love this mold).

The disc itself looks fantastic. It just lacks the flight characteristics of my other Insanities.

The Proton rim seems sturdier and it is clear that MVP had to alter how they molded the plate and rim. Perhaps they'll tinker before full release...

It just surprised me (i.e., profile and stability) compared to all of the other Insanities I have, which are among the flattest-topped drivers I have experienced.

Thanks

Not all sparkles are jiffy popped. Ive noticed it a few times here and there and especially some of the newer discs like the Trace. One of the local shops had a stack of sparkle Traces and all of them looked like "Life under the Dome".

yeah they were all CHUD - haha which is funny why people went nuts for them - they didn't even look good - idk - - one of the guys posted that they were way more US than the production ones would be - once I saw that I knew to keep away.

Sucks dude - im not paying more than 30 for 1 disc-----ever. It's just plastic and not worth it

Well, I got some of my investment back. I hope the new owner enjoys it...I actually just copied my OP here, so they knew precisely what to expect.

Someone over at r/discgolf stated that he heard from an MVP employee that our suspicions concerning stability are correct. Good 'ole Internet "I heard from a guy who got word from the owners of MVP's guinea pig that they...blah blah blah."

They'll get it right...

did any of them come in 150 class. I love flippy plastic. Not paying 30 bucks but would look to may be trade.

Damn... I was getting interested in a thrower too haha. What makes it so valuable / desirable?

^Yup.

The Insanity is a pretty popular disc, also. A prerelease new plastic in a popular mold, is gonna be a fanboys wetdream. It is pretty funny that people are paying so much for a disc that isn't what they thought it would be. Personally, a flippy Insanity sounds like a disc I want to own. Mine is 3ish years old and still isn't what I would call flippy, it will turn a bit but wont rollover unless I tell it to. I never did really use super flippy discs because I had a serviceable FH but since my shoulder went out, I cant really throw it more than 100ft or so without shooting pain. I never really gelled with the more US discs in this class, so a flippy Insanity would fit into my bag pretty well.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking, I've been working mine in but it looks like a long road. I'm trying to use a 165 plasma insanity as a stable complement to a 158 Vanish SE. I kinda thought the roles would be reversed when I bought them.

Can anyone comment on the new plastic?

What does this look like? Can you take a picture of this prism plastic?

Here ya go guys, he posted it on the local FB page...

attachment.php
:thmbup:

A flippy Insanity would be money, indeed. Were these only for sale at the event?
Iirc, they made a bunch with 2 different stamps. The Queen stamp was a player pack disc for Worlds. I think they sold off the other stamp at the flymart and/or player's party.

this is funny...the different density plastic gyro company is making seemingly similar/same density overmold discs?

Latest posts