• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Puppy and disc golf

I have not said anything on this thread so I guess I can chime in. I am a dog owner. I have four at home. They are American Pitbull Terriers. I have spent countless hours training my dogs to be ambassadors for their breed. They are great dogs. They love me and my family. They are amazing with my 9 month old daughter. I walk them ON LEASH in town all of the time and they get love and attention from many of the locals when I do. All of that being said, I would never take any of them disc golfing with me. Why you may ask if they are so well behaved? Because of the idiots that have absolutely no clue as to why their dog should be on a leash. I know that my dogs have a greater tendency towards animal aggression. If a dog were to run up on me and one of my dogs in an aggressive manner, things are not going to turn out well. So I keep my dogs at home when I disc golf. And I am fine with that. They do not need to be with me 24/7 365. They are dogs not humans. Dogs that are on leash and well behaved do not bother me one bit on the course. The simple fact is at my home course with huge signs saying dogs must be leashed, 90% of the dog owners do not leash their dogs. I had a disc ruined because of this. Told the owner either pay me for my disc and leash the dog or I was going to report them to the police immediately for disobeying the posted laws. They figured 20 for the disc and leashing the dog was better than the 500 dollar fine the cop woulda wrote.

I just retired as a Michigan State Trooper. I probably handled 15-20 dog bite cases and I would say that in most of the cases the owner said they were sure that his/her dog would never bite anyone...until it bit someone.

How many drug and alcohol cases did you handle in that time?

I have spent countless hours training my dogs to be ambassadors for their breed.

I know that my dogs have a greater tendency towards animal aggression. If a dog were to run up on me and one of my dogs in an aggressive manner, things are not going to turn out well.

These two statements kinda contradict each other, dont they? ;)

Anyway, good for you that you keep your agressive dogs on a leash. Other dogs are not as agressive, and there are parks where people are allowed to let their dogs run free. Nothing wrong with doing that then.

These two statements kinda contradict each other, dont they? ;)

Anyway, good for you that you keep your agressive dogs on a leash. Other dogs are not as agressive, and there are parks where people are allowed to let their dogs run free. Nothing wrong with doing that then.

I did not say my dogs are aggressive. I said Pit Bulls have a greater tendency towards animal aggression. Therefore when idiots that are breaking the law by letting their dogs off leash in a park, I do not bring my dogs around. This keeps my dogs safe. This keeps the other dogs safe. This would not be a problem if IDIOTS would just read the signage and keep their dogs on leash.
If ya have another personal attack Smigles I suggest you pm me.

Personal attack? Feeling a bit touchy?

As I wrote, and you even quoted it, there are parks where dogs dont have to be on a leash. Maybe not in murica, what do I know what you got going over there. But certainly here. So keep rambling about "idiots" who "break the law". It has nothing to do with me.

Nothing personal Smigles, as I don't have a "dog" in this fight, but on the majority of your posts on many different threads that I read you come off as either very abrasive, condescending or that your "opinion" is definitive. That puts a lot of folks off and with others it invites some of the aggressive responses that you receive. It may be simply cultural differences and you honestly don't mean to come off that way. However, you honestly do come off that way.

I just retired as a Michigan State Trooper. I probably handled 15-20 dog bite cases and I would say that in most of the cases the owner said they were sure that his/her dog would never bite anyone...until it bit someone.

I don't think a dog exists that would never bite anyone in any situation. For starters, the vast majority of all dogs will defend themselves if a stranger acts aggressively towards them on their own turf. There are plenty of dogs who would never bite a polite human in a calm, comfortable setting, but people who say their dog "would never bite anyone" haven't thought about it very hard.

I don't think a dog exists that would never bite anyone in any situation. For starters, the vast majority of all dogs will defend themselves if a stranger acts aggressively towards them on their own turf. There are plenty of dogs who would never bite a polite human in a calm, comfortable setting, but people who say their dog "would never bite anyone" haven't thought about it very hard.

I think most are using never liberally - more like they'd never bite anyone in normal circumstances. Kind of like - that guy is so nice - he'd never hurt anyone....until the day someone threatened his kid...

Well of course, when I say never, I mean under normal circumstances. I really hope that my dog would defend itself if he were attacked. But really, who goes up to a random dog in the park and starts attacking him? That's like asking to be bitten IMO.

I also know my dog well enugh to know that he would flee if attacked and only defend himself if he is cornered and attacked. But again, who hunts down and attacks a dog in a public park? If someone is that much into torturing animals, well, I hope he gets all the bites he deserves.

I think most are using never liberally - more like they'd never bite anyone in normal circumstances. Kind of like - that guy is so nice - he'd never hurt anyone....until the day someone threatened his kid...

I wonder how many of those bites happened in normal circumstances. I'd bet most of the dog bites around the country happen when a careless or ignorant dog owner lets his dog get put in an abnormal situation that the dog doesn't know how to handle. Even Cesar Millan, who knows as much about dog psychology as anyone, recently got into trouble because he was overconfident in his dog walking abilities: http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/23/cesar-millan-dog-whisperer-dog-attack-great-dane-studio-city/ .

I was in the middle of a round awhile back and happened upon this girl wandering around the wooded fairway. She was looking for her keys. Turns out, she was walking her dog, on a leash, when an unleashed dog ran up and started attacking her puppy. She tried to run away and in the process dropped her keys. The owner of the aggressive dog acted like it wasn't a big deal and said his dog was just playing around. She was clearly shaken up by the experience. I'm sure the guy who had an unleashed dog truly thought that his dog is just playful and fun loving, no threat to anyone.

Well yeah. I mean if you look at the ammount of bad parents or careless drivers, I am sure there must be plenty of irresponsable dog owners too.

But is that really still on topic? Irresponsable people arent fun, no matter where and what. I think we all agree on that. I think the topic is better off if we assume responsable dog owners and what they can and can't do with the dog on the course.

I play with a friend who has a well-behaved, non-aggressive dog who's on a leash when others are around. Recently, we came out into the fairway and a guy on the other side with a (thankfully) leashed dog yells over that his dog really doesn't like other dogs. It took us a minute to process what he was saying but it struck me as really odd. If you know your dog gets aggressive towards pretty much any other dog, enough that you have to warn people 100 yards away, wouldn't it be better/smarter/easier/safer to leave that dog home?

I've seen tons of dogs on the course and this was the first one that I thought probably shouldn't have been there.

For the record, I've stopped bringing my own dog because he gets so dirty I'd rather not bathe him after every round.

How is that an utopia? There are responsable dog owners out there.

Yes, of course there are. However, you can't ignore that plenty of irresponsible dog owners are out there as well. When you only choose to discuss a subset of all the dog owners found on a disc golf course then you aren't really dealing with reality. If that is what you want to do, fine, how about we just agree to talk about buxom blonde dog owners in short shorts and tight tank tops who like to bend over and frequently pet their puppies?

Yes, of course there are. However, you can't ignore that plenty of irresponsible dog owners are out there as well. When you only choose to discuss a subset of all the dog owners found on a disc golf course then you aren't really dealing with reality. If that is what you want to do, fine, how about we just agree to talk about buxom blonde dog owners in short shorts and tight tank tops who like to bend over and frequently pet their puppies?

I was mainly talking about the original poster, not "all of reality". He is asking advice and opinions, so I think he tries to be responsable.

I dont know what use he has for advice for irresponsable owners. It's kinda like somebody who has a drivers permit asking a technical questions and you reply with stuff that matters for people who can't drive cause there are people without permit "in reality".

Last edited: