• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Puppy and disc golf

Also you seem to know the behavior of my dogs so I guess you are speaking from experience. Do you honestly believe that they would ever bite you for any reason besides that you were physically attacking them?? Good dogs don't bite people for no good reason, and you shouldn't berate a dog for no reason. I know everyone would like to plant the seed of doubt in this scenario but you must believe that there ARE good natured animals out there who don't randomly bite people.

All I was trying to say is that you do have a statistically higher chance of getting bit by your dog than by a shark. I just didn't want folks berating my good shark based off your bad information.

The message we give visitors to my house is that our dogs don't bite, but they might lick you to death. :thmbup:

lol... the message to visitors to my house is dogs and well behaved children are invited.

All I was trying to say is that you do have a statistically higher chance of getting bit by your dog than by a shark. I just didn't want folks berating my good shark based off your bad information.

How many sharks does a typical man encounter on a typical day? I'd bet the odds of getting bitten by dogs vs. sharks are similar to how most traffic accidents occur within a few miles of one's home. It's not that sharks have a taste for human blood, either, which most of them don't, nor do any dogs I've ever met. The simple fact is you're more likely to meet a bad dog than a bad shark because you'll meet more dogs in your day than sharks.

How many sharks does a typical man encounter on a typical day? I'd bet the odds of getting bitten by dogs vs. sharks are similar to how most traffic accidents occur within a few miles of one's home. It's not that sharks have a taste for human blood, either, which most of them don't, nor do any dogs I've ever met. The simple fact is you're more likely to meet a bad dog than a bad shark because you'll meet more dogs in your day than sharks.

omg it's not that hard

shark atacks per year : 50
dog biting somebody per year : 4'500'000 in america alone

now which one are you more likely to encounter?

omg it's not that hard

You are not going to figure moose bites in there too? Moose bites can be nasty. :p

The only concern I would have is shots. At 10 weeks old they generally are not fully boosted. If it were my dog I would wait until her 3rd set of shots to be safe.

That's the current debate: what's more important the puppy's socialization with people distractions and other dogs. Or is health with regards to incomplete vaccination.

The pro socialization aspect is a strong argument because you can praise good behavior and nip problems at the bud so easily when they are below 4mths and they learn quick.

But I've had friends who have lost their young puppies because of parvovirus in places that seemed safe (secluded beach) and that's just heartbreaking.

omg it's not that hard

I think you missed my point, but I can't tell what yours is. :confused:

:doh:

So many experts on here. I know my dog (sorta of) and i know my course. When people are around , paco is on a lease, when there is no one around, i let him stretch his little legs. Little kids are a problem as they usually do what they want and touch paco without asking.despite pleas from the parents to ask permission to pet paco. He is good company for me , so sue me

Cannot sue someone for entitlement. :doh:

I own a dog, love my dog, and really dig most other dogs.

With that said, leave your damn dog at home. If it needs to run and socialize, take it to a dog park.

[/QUOTE]
So many experts on here. I know my dog (sorta of) and i know my course. When people are around , paco is on a lease, when there is no one around, i let him stretch his little legs. Little kids are a problem as they usually do what they want and touch paco without asking.despite pleas from the parents to ask permission to pet paco. He is good company for me , so sue me[/QUOTE]

I do find it funny that you comment that others are "experts" for seeing the, statistically obvious, unpredictability of a dog's behavior. Yet, you are more than happy to divulge unexplainable communication and thought reading of their pet.

You, nor anybody can read a dog's thoughts, because they cannot reason. You get this right? They cannot think through the consequences of their actions. They don't make decisions. Because you don't believe your dog will bite, does not make it come true. This should be the foundation of all dog owners. In fact, it is so apparent to most, it is law in most places.

Look, I have and love my dog. I just don't think that needs to be shared with everybody, kind of like my wife. Though, I do take her to the course.

You, nor anybody can read a dog's thoughts, because they cannot reason. You get this right? They cannot think through the consequences of their actions. They don't make decisions.

Sure, dogs don't think on a human level, but that doesn't mean they don't think at all. Sure, you can't read a dog's mind any more than you can read a human's mind, but you can read their body language as plainly as anybody else's. Learning to do this is not difficult, but it's something many people never learn. This alone is a reason to keep your dog on a leash at the park, but it's not a reason to believe a dog is an unpredictable, mindless engine of chaos.

I can't believe how many dog haters there are here. What the problem is? Disc golfers and dogs go together like peanut butter and chocolate. I love doggies and welcome them on the course. Yes, they must behave but you should only bring your dog if it behaves well (same thing with your kid!). Some dogs are good in public while others are not. The same goes for people. I think people often behave worse than dogs.

We played yesterday and people on the course were loving our dog. They said she was adorable and very well behaved. They were also amazed that she could catch discs with ease and she just wants to play with you. So I know you can say I'm biased and whatnot but we wouldn't bring our dog disc golfing if it was a problem. Pup is the cornerstone of our team and we'd be lost without her. She is a little sweetheart and if you think she is going to randomly flip and attack you then you are wrong.

People are the real problem.

I can't believe how many dog haters there are here. What the problem is? Disc golfers and dogs go together like peanut butter and chocolate. I love doggies and welcome them on the course. Yes, they must behave but you should only bring your dog if it behaves well (same thing with your kid!). Some dogs are good in public while others are not. The same goes for people. I think people often behave worse than dog.

So true. I've seen more misbehaving people on the course than misbehaving dogs.

It helps if some of you don't take things so personally and learn to see the big picture. Yes, I am sure that some of you have wonderful dogs who poop rainbows and bark sunshine. That is awesome. If that is the case, the complaints posted clearly aren't about your dog. However, there are plenty of examples where a dog on the course was a detriment to the disc golf experience instead of an asset. In fact, based on my 20+ years of disc golf adventures, I'd say the negative far outweighs the positive. Yes, it is the owner's fault if a dog misbehaves or interferes with somebody's disc golf experience. No, I don't hate dogs. I have had dogs all of my life including two amazing dogs currently at home. Again, this isn't about a love or hate of dogs.

Nate, you post as though any negative talk about dogs on the course were a personal attack against you. Trust me when I say that the world does not revolve around you. I truly don't care how well behaved your dogs are, I don't enjoy it when people bring dogs on the course, let them run free when leash laws are in effect, and then get angry when they are asked to follow the law while also respecting their fellow disc golfers.

You, nor anybody can read a dog's thoughts, because they cannot reason. You get this right? They cannot think through the consequences of their actions. They don't make decisions. Because you don't believe your dog will bite, does not make it come true.

Dogs still have personalities. They are not as random in their actions as you try to make it look. You can for example clearly say if a dog would rather fight or flee, or how easily frightened he is, or his clumsiness-tolerance when kids cuddle him.

...I love doggies and welcome them on the course. Yes, they must behave but you should only bring your dog if it behaves well (same thing with your kid!). Some dogs are good in public while others are not.

The problem is, EVERYONE assumes their dog is one of the 'good dogs'.

I just retired as a Michigan State Trooper. I probably handled 15-20 dog bite cases and I would say that in most of the cases the owner said they were sure that his/her dog would never bite anyone...until it bit someone.