• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter used as a Driver?

With all this between g Star and DX for your teebirds, and you already hinting that tennis was expensive so your not stressing a few bucks, just get a DX and a g star teebird. At the start you have 2 teebirds to practice and figure out. Over time that DX will get a nice turn and cover your understable shots. The g star could be your primary driver for the next few months and will hold its flight a lot longer, but like mentioned already, won't be too "beefy" for a newbie to get up to speed and glide. Champion and star will definately be to OS for you for starting out. I have a few champ teebirds that are pretty freaky overstable after a couple years of use, and my star teebird started that way and took a full summer of heavy use to mellow out. I'd recommend weights around 165-170 for you. Any lighter and wind becomes a big issue, heavier and it may be hard to get enough speed for it to carry very far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also suggest a Star or Champion TL, which is not quite as overstable as a Teebird. A seasoned-in DX Teebird flies like a premium plastic TL (and the premium plastic will last longer).

Checked out the flight pattern of the TL compared to the TeeBird and like the looks of that TL. Same distance but only about half as much movement at the end!!! Nice! Would you say the same 168g in the TL that I was looking at with the Teebird?

TripleB

Last edited:
Checked out the flight pattern of the TL compared to the TeeBird and like the looks of that TL. Same distance but only about half as much movement at the end!!! Nice!

I want to come back to the question of how you want to use this disc and the Leopard you already have.

If you get the straight shots out of the Leopard, but have no overstable disc, then a Teebird is much better to have than a TL. Don't get me wrong, I think the TL is a great disc and can be the better choice over a Teebird, but I see here people talking about single discs and ignoring the bag as a whole, when the latter is all that matters. A great disc is only half as helpful as a mediocre disc that fills a hole in your bag. Maybe the TL is what you need, but as far as I read your posts here and in the other thread, it seems to me that you have nothing more overstable than that disc we are talking about here currently. Even for a beginner a beefy Teebird plus aLeopard is more useful than a TL plus a Leopard. Maybe I misunderstood you, but maybe not.

I think you're on the right track. Any putter will do honestly. Can't go wring with an Aviar.

Just for fun I'll recommend my fav driving putter and that is an MVP Atom - it goes VERY straight

In reference to the Aviar...what is the difference between the Aviar P&A and the Aviar Classic (other than the Aviar P&A seems to be available in more plastic choices)?

According to the info I've seen they both seem to go the same distance and have the same flight path.

Thanks for any clarification on this!!!

TripleB

someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but currently, the aviar classic is a P&A in stiffer dx plastic. older aviar classics had a small bead, but not the current ones. I'm not sure why they give different flight ratings though, as they are the same disc.

I thought the Aviar Classic was slightly deeper feeling than the putt and approach? But the classics are in a slightly stiffer plastic.

Very similar discs though. Straight putters with glide. You have to remember that this is a board full of people who have all gone through a dozen putters to find "the one", and will likely change again next season. Differences we notice are very, very slight. Putters that are meant to be straight like these will fly so similar to each other on drives, and be nearly identical when putting.

Straight putters with glide.

In general, would they glide the same even if different plastics?

I guess what I'm getting at is if I currently have the Aviar P/A in DX and if I got a 2nd one in Star or GStar, if their flight characteristics would be similar. Probably going to get another DX as many on here have recommended, but was just wondering.

I can't find it now, but I think someone mentioned that the DX might fly even a bit further than a Star or GStar. Then again I've read so much lately I may have just made this up.

Thanks!!!

TripleB

If you get a second Aviar in star or Gstar the flight will be slightly different. In a good way. They will putt nearly the same, from within the 10m circle radius "putting green" range. As for drives, the star or Gstar may be a firmer straight stability with a bit more fade...or the DX may start that way then beat in to get straighter and straighter, so comparatively less stable over a little time.

The thing is, for a beginner who maybe throws their putter 150-220' the DX might be a bit longer/more glidey, I'm talking like 15' here at most I would guess, but the star/Gstar may be more consistent. This is just a guess depending on the thrower. For a more experienced player like myself, who throws putters 280-300', they may go the exact same distance but I would feel more comfortable throwing the star/Gstar harder because I know it can tolerate it. At a certain point it's more how hard do you throw and what do you feel confident with, rather than which disc has inherently more glide. When you can throw harder, glide isn't always the best thing. If you have a trash can across the room, it's easier to hit the target with a small rock than a balled up piece of paper. If you can easily throw a certain distance, slightly less glide can be easier to range.

Basically my point is both DX and star/Gstar are great. Putters aren't meant to be your longest disc in the bag, so the bonus glide isn't something you necessarily need. Of course having a DX putter that glides well for putts and holding glidey straight or turnovers is perfect. Having a more stable counterpart that increases confidence on hard shots is good too. You won't end up with a dud out of these choices, they'll get you on track to get used to what works for you.

In general, would they glide the same even if different plastics?

I guess what I'm getting at is if I currently have the Aviar P/A in DX and if I got a 2nd one in Star or GStar, if their flight characteristics would be similar. Probably going to get another DX as many on here have recommended, but was just wondering.

I can't find it now, but I think someone mentioned that the DX might fly even a bit further than a Star or GStar. Then again I've read so much lately I may have just made this up.

Thanks!!!

TripleB

The short answer is no. A new star or gstar Aviar will not fly the same as a new Dx Aviar. A worn star or gstar aviar will definitely not fly the same as a worn Dx Aviar. Just get a Dx and a Gstar Aviar and go start throwing them for a while. It's inexpensive and you will find what works for you and what you do and don't like.

The thing is, for a beginner who maybe throws their putter 150-220' the DX might be a bit longer/more glidey, I'm talking like 15' here at most I would guess, but the star/Gstar may be more consistent.

Fantastic information...thank you!!! As a beginner I'm definitely hoping for some consistency! :D

Just get a Dx and a Gstar Aviar and go start throwing them for a while.

Since I already have a 175g Aviar P/A in DX I think I'm leaning towards ordering a GStar 175g so I can check them both out and see which one I may prefer for drives and which one I may prefer for putts. Then again I may just order another 175g DX for consistency sake ;)

Again, I appreciate all the input!

TripleB

Fantastic information...thank you!!! As a beginner I'm definitely hoping for some consistency! :D

Since I already have a 175g Aviar P/A in DX I think I'm leaning towards ordering a GStar 175g so I can check them both out and see which one I may prefer for drives and which one I may prefer for putts. Then again I may just order another 175g DX for consistency sake ;)

Again, I appreciate all the input!

TripleB

If you have three "throwing putters", (say 2 Dx and 1 gstar) the bonus is that when you go to do field work, you throw all three putters at some "target" on the ground. Like the circle in the middle of a soccer field. Then you go pick them up and start over. You will learn quicker that way. More time throwing and making adjustments with that extra third disc than if you only have two. That's my 2 cents.

Checked out the flight pattern of the TL compared to the TeeBird and like the looks of that TL. Same distance but only about half as much movement at the end!!! Nice! Would you say the same 168g in the TL that I was looking at with the Teebird?

TripleB

My favorite weight for my fairway drivers and distance drivers is in the mid 160s. My TLs (and I have way too many of them) are 167-168g. So if you like that weight, it'll do well for you.

BTW, the Leopard and Leopard3s are both great discs, but I don't bag them because they fall in between my mids (which are a bit more accurate for me), and my TL/FDs and Rivers (which go farther for me than the Leopards). Work with all of them to see what works best for you.

In reference to the Aviar...what is the difference between the Aviar P&A and the Aviar Classic (other than the Aviar P&A seems to be available in more plastic choices)?

According to the info I've seen they both seem to go the same distance and have the same flight path.

Thanks for any clarification on this!!!

TripleB

The Aviar Classics, and other discs based upon the mold, have a bit more of a "wall" on the side rim than the P&A. Put them side-by-side and you can see the difference. Flights are similar, but of course the plastics and amount of beating in will affect the flights.

someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but currently, the aviar classic is a P&A in stiffer dx plastic. older aviar classics had a small bead, but not the current ones. I'm not sure why they give different flight ratings though, as they are the same disc.

My mom old late 1990's Classic Aviar has a micro bead but her new one from last year has like a Micro miro bead that is built into the shape of the disc and you would not even feel it as the Miro one you can feel a bit.

My mom old late 1990's Classic Aviar has a micro bead but her new one from last year has like a Micro miro bead that is built into the shape of the disc and you would not even feel it as the Miro one you can feel a bit.

There are generally three molds of the aviar. The aviar big bead(X), aviar small bead, and aviar putt and approach(no bead). No such thing as a micro micro bead. There are slight variations in each mold that can be found throughout the years. Your mom's disc probably has flashing on the bottom.

There are generally three molds of the aviar. The aviar big bead(X), aviar small bead, and aviar putt and approach(no bead). No such thing as a micro micro bead. There are slight variations in each mold that can be found throughout the years. Your mom's disc probably has flashing on the bottom.

The first Classic Aviar My mom has is a late 1990's given to my brother from a cousin who my brother gave it to my mom In search of a better putter. Found a beet in Gator worked best for this. That late 1990's Classic Aviar has the Micro Bead, the very very small bead on the bottom that is almost unnoticeable unless you look. The other has what you might be describing as a flashing that looks like a micro micro bead if it is true the micro micro bead does not exist. The old Classic Aviar is much harder as most brands with a baseline plastic from that era had a harder baseline plastic then they do now, at about 2005 or so it seems most brands baseline plastic got a slight bit softer the same time that true Champion plastic we have now came out.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd get another DX Aviar P&A. Especially if at a heavy weight, it takes a long time for a DX putter to get beat in so bad it's useless. It'll get ugly quick, compared to a Champ or Star/G* Aviar, but generally it'll only fly straighter and sweeter for a good while. The real benefit of getting an Aviar similar to your putting putter is that you'll have two putters to practice putting with because it's "drive for show, putt for dough." I've used the same DX Polecat for like 5 years, it still flies great. I've hit many a tree with it, even ran over it with a truck once. It's still going strong. What you'll have to learn to do with the DX that you won't necessarily have to do with premium plastic is learn to throw a hyzer flip. The more your disc gets beat in (flippy), the more hyzer angle you'll have to throw it to delay the flip and keep it straight. Honestly this is more beneficial to learn to do than about anything. You can get a premium plastic disc and throw it flat for awhile but eventually you'll have to learn that hyzer flip (basically the most fundamental throw in DG) and throwing flat will just delay the inevitable and cause you to learn bad habits (like rolling the wrist over, aka OAT).

Now premium plastic putters have their place (less glide makes them useful for ranging, retain HSS longer) but you're not there yet. Something I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that in addition to the gazillion varieties of Aviars there are also some noteworthy clones from other brands too. If I were you, I'd look into a Gateway Warlock in SS plastic. The Warlock is a beadless Aviar clone and Gateway makes the best feeling and most resilient DX-style plastic in my opinion.

DX is great until you start getting past the speed 9 drivers (Firebirds, Valkyries, etc). After that, the combination of the wider rims and thin flight plates make them taco much easier on impact. But Teebirds, Eagles, etc are fantastic in DX.