• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Putters/Approach rim width like a Zone/Pig but neutral and not overstable - exist?

edmunder

Hi Friends,

TLDR - I'm looking for a neutral throwing putter/approach/slow mid that has a thick rim width, something like a zone/pig, that fits well in the hand, but that is not crazy overstable. Is that type of disc possible?

I really like throwing zones but I want something that is straighter, preferably not overstable. Even slightly understable would be better.

For throwing putters/Approach my friends recommended: Pure, Invader, Judge but they all have 1cm rim width, which for me feels like trying to grip onto a piece of paper. Its way too thin to throw comfortably.

Even a really slow mid, but something with maybe a little turn, little fade. But with maybe a 1.3-1.4 rim width with some beef to grab on to while I throw it.

Thanks! I really appreciate you reading this, any thoughts are helpful thoughts!

Hi Friends,

TLDR - I'm looking for a neutral throwing putter/approach/slow mid that has a thick rim width, something like a zone/pig, that fits well in the hand, but that is not crazy overstable. Is that type of disc possible?

I really like throwing zones but I want something that is straighter, preferably not overstable. Even slightly understable would be better.

For throwing putters/Approach my friends recommended: Pure, Invader, Judge but they all have 1cm rim width, which for me feels like trying to grip onto a piece of paper. Its way too thin to throw comfortably.

Even a really slow mid, but something with maybe a little turn, little fade. But with maybe a 1.3-1.4 rim width with some beef to grab on to while I throw it.

Thanks! I really appreciate you reading this, any thoughts are helpful thoughts!

I don't really think about rim widths, but I love throwing the -1 / 2 Envy's, and Proxy's for a little more turn. Otherwise, can't your cycle the Pigs as they beat in. The Pro Pigs should straighten out with use.

Jokeri, Envy/Proxy are worth a look

Don't look now, but you might actually like a Mirage. Buddy uses one all the time for approaches. Yeah, it's understable... but is it? Depends on how it's thrown. Lowest profile slow disc I've ever held.

What about that new "animal" from Innova. I don't know anything about it but it has that Rhynos/Pig thumbtack and is supposed to be pretty straight.

Zone in proD or Jawbreaker, Gateway Chief is pretty solid for an out of the box straight disc that feels like a Zone, Rat isn't too overstable.

This is very fair. Jokeri might need base plastic, but these are the best places to start. The Proxy likely flies for me as the Envy does Moose if you need a power level for the desired effect.

Should have clarified I think the base one is actually the best. They wear into a great straight flight but don't flip much. The premium ones can mold up with some Dome and I don't like the feel as much.

Nova? The Rat actually has kind of a thin rim IMO. Like I don't feel like it's much thicker than the Pure at all. The disc that really came to mind was the XD but I don't know if you can find it anymore. Maybe Infinite has resurrected it in some fashion or maybe the Bullfrog or something shares mold pieces.

Cohort fits this as well. Stable to US disc, low profile.

Tomb D Line is good for straight shots also, then Cohort for flips when beat. Actually my D Line Tomb is a hyzer flip to straight machine now. Premium ones don't flip and more like an Envy or Jokeri.

Jawbreaker Ringer GT beats in fast and nicely to be dead straight. The zflx ones will be more OS but not OS like a zone.

If you want to leave the mainstream, try a Daredevil Bighorn
PDGA Approval specs

It's chunky, solid, grippy, and glides well.

Jawbreaker Ringer GT beats in fast and nicely to be dead straight. The zflx ones will be more OS but not OS like a zone.

If you want to leave the mainstream, try a Daredevil Bighorn
PDGA Approval specs

It's chunky, solid, grippy, and glides well.

Hi I have a couple old jawbreaker ringer GT, problem is the rim is paper thin. Thats the main thing, I want something to hold onto.