• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting and Breathing

When you're shooting you exhale before you pull the trigger to calm your heart rate down, and so you aren't expanding your lungs and moving while you're pulling the trigger. With DG, you're exhaling AS you're throwing instead of before, to exert more force on the throw.

I was taught to exhale and hold my breath while slowly squeezing the trigger for target shooting. When the gun goes off, it should come as a surprise. If you can predict exactly when the round will fire, you squeezed too quickly. Or so I was taught, anyway.

But I know a military sniper who said they were trained to exhale on the trigger pull because they don't have long to pull the trigger. And they know exactly when it's going off because they can't take their time. The target is stationary for three seconds and you go, just pulling the trigger straight back. You can't be holding your breath every time the target comes to rest, hoping it will last more than 3 seconds.

So even in shooting, I guess the exhale can be on the trigger pull.

I always think of a post by craigg whenever this comes up...

This one!

YES! I do a breathing exercise as well. The deep breathing helps me concentrate. I really focus on breathing with my "balls", no joke. Full deep breaths from my head to my nether regions, focusing on the link I want to hit, with the confidence that I am going to make this putt 100%. This has made me putt better then I ever have in my life.

I was taught to exhale and hold my breath while slowly squeezing the trigger for target shooting. When the gun goes off, it should come as a surprise. If you can predict exactly when the round will fire, you squeezed too quickly. Or so I was taught, anyway.

But I know a military sniper who said they were trained to exhale on the trigger pull because they don't have long to pull the trigger. And they know exactly when it's going off because they can't take their time. The target is stationary for three seconds and you go, just pulling the trigger straight back. You can't be holding your breath every time the target comes to rest, hoping it will last more than 3 seconds.

So even in shooting, I guess the exhale can be on the trigger pull.

I'm not really an expert, just going off of what I've read/heard from watching way too much discovery/history. For the most part I think that shooters aren't supposed to be doing anything with their lungs during the trigger pull, because that would not only take off your concentration from the accuracy, but it would also create body movement while your lungs are moving

For the shooting point, I was always taught to let the round off during your respiratory pause.

Yes, the round should come as a "surprise break", but if you can't tell when the sear is going to actually break, well...

For putting, I exhale as I putt, blow the putt into the basket.

I think it's really funny how many former sports inform how we play disc golf.

The 3 sports that I played seriously before disc golf were Basketball, Golf, and Bowling.

Golf has the obvious parallels of the "hit" - powering your hips and shoulders through the impact point. It has the mental game analogies, etc.

For putting specifically I try to recall my bowling and basketball experiences. Just like all the others are saying - breathing and pre-putt routine just like it's a free throw. I exhale as I'm throwing, just like a jumpshot or FT shot.

I've also learned that the basket Chain assembly is much like the rack of pins in bowling. The sweet spot in the basket is pretty much right where the pocket is on a bowling lane. This has helped me putt with slight hyzer instead of dead flat which keeps more in the chains.

Breathing is the most important part of my routine.

I don't think it matters what you do, per se, so much as you keep it consistent.

Yeah, man, when you stop breathing everything gets sorta more difficult, like, and then you fall over and pass out and DIE, and when you're dead it's just SO-O-O-O-OOOOO difficult to break par!

Just ask any zombie!

And meanwhile, fer Chrissakes, KEEP BREATHING!!!!!!1 :D

Srsly though, I putt turbo-style and a semi-explosive exhale is key to what success I have :)

Apparently your body is at it's most relaxed after exhaling a large breath of air, which would make sense to why you're making more shots, as opposed to being all tensed up. At least that's what I've been told.

I'm not really an expert, just going off of what I've read/heard from watching way too much discovery/history. For the most part I think that shooters aren't supposed to be doing anything with their lungs during the trigger pull, because that would not only take off your concentration from the accuracy, but it would also create body movement while your lungs are moving

All I can say is, when a guy with a 1.3 km, laser-unaided confirmed kill tells me they told him to breathe out while pulling the trigger, I listen. I asked him, and he said they also said to shoot between heart beats, but everybody in his class was like, "Yeah right, who can do that?"

I didn't notice my breathing pattern until last week. But I have a very definitive pattern that I follow and works well for me.

I do a couple of arm swings to feel the motion. I inhale as I lift my arm, exhale as I drop it. When I'm ready to fire, I inhale as I raise my arm, pause and hold my breath briefly, then cock back and throw while exhaling.

I had finally gotten fed up with missing about half of my 20-30 foot putts so I set out on Saturday to spend some time developing the all important pre-putt routine. I tried everything. Focusing on the link I wanted to hit, different weight shifts, stances, etc with little result. Then I decided to incorporate breathing into my routine. I thought back to my high school basketball routine, and started using it before putting with astonishing results. I take three "dribbles" then putt. As I start the second dribble I begin taking a breath, and start exhaling during the second half of the third dribble continuing through the actual putting motion. All of a sudden I was making about 70-80% of my putts up to about 45 feet.

For full disclosure most of my misses (prior to this change) were cage hits or coming up short, or occasionally yanking one to the right. Does anyone else incorporate a breathing routine into their putting? Am I crazy? Just curious.

You are crazy and over thinking this sport. You throw some round plastic at some metal chains. That's it. :|

I've always done this when putting. I feel it actually helps quite a bit. puts less pressure of making the putt in my opinion.

All I can say is, when a guy with a 1.3 km, laser-unaided confirmed kill tells me they told him to breathe out while pulling the trigger, I listen. I asked him, and he said they also said to shoot between heart beats, but everybody in his class was like, "Yeah right, who can do that?"

In the old days of General Dynamics they made an airplane at ZERO SPEC...no flaws or give...TO SPEC...

The test pilot gets in and begins to put the plane (a jet) through it's motions. The audience watches as the plane, while flying in a straight line, begins to tilt right every second or so...they of course halted the test run.

It was determined that the pilots pulse was causing the issue. True story.

That is what you call SPEC!!!:eek:

Of course, discs are not as surgically precise. :thmbup:

My breathing technec is very important to my putting, when and how is the trick. It helps my focus as well as balance and to my form.

It is very important that you breathe sometimes. How and when you do it is kind of up to you. Just breathe. Every once and a while.

Latest posts