• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Plastic

soarinsirg

Was watching Feldberg putting clinic videos and he said something I had never heard before and it got me thinking. He said you should always putt with stiff putters. This eliminates a variable. The variable being thump pressure possibly indenting (slightly) the disc if its soft, possibly creating wobble. Soft should only be used for approaches.

I have loved soft putters ever since I was introduced (soft wardens and the new gravity hunter). I feel like i get more control and way less bounce outs. Sometimes you even get the shooters roll if you hit the bottom lip of the basket and it bounces up.

I understand time of the year is going to effect what plastic you use. What do you guys think?

-Stick Putts, Bräu-

Go with whatever feels best in hand. Seriously. And practice practice practice....sticking putts.

The protégé Hunters are straight $$$. Check em out

Last edited:
A lot of spin putters like a softer putter. I personally prefer something in between for my spin/spush hybrid "style" because I don't grip my putter with a lot of pressure and feel the stiffer putters lack grip and slip out of my hands a bit more.
I've experimented with more of a push/loft style in the past and would definitely go stiffer for that style.
Honestly, I think it just comes down to personal preference. You can putt with anything, really.

Jeezzee! How hard does he grip a putter?

I used to putt with KC Pro's. I no longer do, king of the roll away putters for me. Watch Climo's misses in the masters this year.

I like tacky medium stiff putters and have had a lot less roll away problems when I miss. When it's cold, I use a softer one.

Putting is an individual thing, use what gives you confidence and F*** Feldy and his never ending changing advice.

I used to spin putt but not ive switched to push when I can. When outside of my comfort zone I guess i use a combo now or "spush". I did notice some wobble with my wardens when push putting.

I have a protege clozer i picked up. The plastic feels way to stiff. unless its 95 degrees out it feel likes its gonna shatter upon impact its so stiff. Its one of the originial models and I did hear that legacy played around with their protoge and gravity blends..

The protege blend has gotten better, and has been shown to have been improved even more lately.

Jeezzee! How hard does he grip a putter?

I used to putt with KC Pro's. I no longer do, king of the roll away putters for me. Watch Climo's misses in the masters this year.

I like tacky medium stiff putters and have had a lot less roll away problems when I miss. When it's cold, I use a softer one.

Putting is an individual thing, use what gives you confidence and F*** Feldy and his never ending changing advice.

I switched to XT / X-line and have really liked it. Maintains the same grip even in the winter so I don't have to change putters. :thmbup:

Also, :thmbup: to your last sentence.

What changing advice? He's always advocated stiff putters for circle putting especially if you are more in the lob/pitch putt camp.

It puts the disc in it's hand. It picks a spot in the chains. It putts disc into that spot, while keeping it's eyes on it. What it putts is irrelevant.

What changing advice? He's always advocated stiff putters for circle putting especially if you are more in the lob/pitch putt camp.

Not to derail the thread.

Sorry, may have been a little overzealous in my response. He may indeed have always given the same putter advice, but as to other discs? Nope. One day you need this or that and why, 6 months later you need this and not that and all those "need" discs are gone from his bag with no explanation. He's seems more of a salesman.

Anyway, I still hold to putting is an individual thing, only trial and error experience is going to find that one type of disc and plastic one uses.

but as to other discs? Nope. One day you need this or that and why, 6 months later you need this and not that and all those "need" discs are gone from his bag with no explanation. He's seems more of a salesman.

O yeah, definitely. Can't argue with you there.

Embrace the thread derailments. :thmbup:

speaking of thread derailments....

Since ive got some of your attention with this post, Im playing first sanctioned tourney next month. 2 rounds of 21 holes (weird? i thought so). any advice?

Correct. The course if my home course actually and they are adding 3 holes using the practice basket and an open field with a giant hill. 21 holes, break, 21 holes.

2x21=42. :thmbup: streets :D

Still early for me lol.....

Correct. The course if my home course actually and they are adding 3 holes using the practice basket and an open field with a giant hill. 21 holes, break, 21 holes.

Nice. Um I would make sure to really try and practice the shots for the temporary holes added. Even if they don't have baskets set up yet, go out and "act out" the holes so you are ready for them.

Its a huge open field (old grass softball diamonds), short grass and a giant hill in the corner. So anything is possible but i should try and gauge distances out there. Is there anything I should know with it being a sanctioned event vs. casual tourneys etc. etiquette? rules?

Its a huge open field (old grass softball diamonds), short grass and a giant hill in the corner. So anything is possible but i should try and gauge distances out there. Is there anything I should know with it being a sanctioned event vs. casual tourneys etc. etiquette? rules?

Check This Thread Out

It gives a better description of what you may need, much better than me trying to rattle things off the top of my head.