• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting - practice at home doesn't make difference at the course

I've also added working the Scott Papa exercise that was in the PDGA magazine a few issues ago.

It's crazy how much this 'putting pyramid' drill/routine/whatever really can simulate some of that 'pressure putt' feel. I've been slacking on it lately, need to get back to doing this more reg.

Maybe klimo's technique isn't for you. Putting, is really all about what works for you. So maybe its time to start tweeking what you learned from Klimo to better serve you.

Last edited:
Practice can't hurt anybody!

Uh, 0.6 years playing dude. Enough said. You just need more playing some time under your belt. Got to pay your dues! But I like your attitude! It's like you expect this stuff to happen! Good luck with that! ;)

This past year were my first tournament rounds. I had the same thing happen, 'why am I practicing.'

The difference between yard putting and tourney putting is almost entire between the ears. Or, if you like, between the legs. I finally realized that in a tourney, and especially on key putts like birdie ops, I was 'careful' because i didn't just want to make it, I REALLY wanted to make it. Careful = tentative = missed putt.

This isn't a paid endorsement, but that Scott Papa putting pyramid deal is a great exercise for this. It does two things...it makes you learn to always give your full attention to 3-4 footers, which I know duh, but miss one in a tournament round. All it takes is one.

And it lets you feel that "I REALLY need this one" cluch putt vibe, where it REALLY matters. It's not just about repitition/muscle memory.

I like to get a song on my head and make that part of my routine. A song you like no matter how corny. It helps me block everything else out. I don't mind people talking while i am throwing because my routine allows me to block them out. When practicing i never putt twice from the same distance. Rarely if ever will you have the exact same putt two holes straight and maybe not two identical putts in one round. Talk yourself up while your waiting for your turn to putt or take that time to get in your zone whatever that may be. If i am not out i am looking at my putt and before i even address it i know what needs to be done and how to do it. I go into every putt knowing that i can hit it. Confidence can be a tricky thing though. If you miss one you think you should have hit then you have to have a short memory.

Im an old ultimate player, been playing DG for 7 years off and on
I could say that I really started playing a lot more in the last 2 years and realty have tried to learn about form and work on my skills in the past year.

Here's a link to my putt from random spots on the backyard last week

It was good to see myself putt as I can tell that I don't get enough body into my putting from far away

http://youtu.be/j6rkISW-5-0

I also started a new thread in case this one got lost

Thanks for everyone's comments, I really appreciate the feedback!

This past year were my first tournament rounds. I had the same thing happen, 'why am I practicing.'

The difference between yard putting and tourney putting is almost entire between the ears. Or, if you like, between the legs. I finally realized that in a tourney, and especially on key putts like birdie ops, I was 'careful' because i didn't just want to make it, COLOR="Blue"]I REALLY wanted to make it.[/COLOR] Careful = tentative = missed putt.

This isn't a paid endorsement, but that Scott Papa putting pyramid deal is a great exercise for this. It does two things...it makes you learn to always give your full attention to 3-4 footers, which I know duh, but miss one in a tournament round. All it takes is one.

And it lets you feel that "I REALLY need this one" cluch putt vibe, where it REALLY matters. It's not just about repitition/muscle memory.

Well said! When you really want it, you consciously make sure you do everything right. This is interferring with the subconscious. It's hard to let go of control but I like to focus on my rountine and trust that this is the way to putt my best. The dude's got tourney experience. Could be the most important tip to putting.

Let me throw this out at you guys:

I've noticed that my practice putts and game putts aren't the same either. When I practice putting, I've gotten into the habit of picking up putters off the ground, from cleaning up missed putts, and firing them at the basket in one motion. When I practice putting I try to randomize the putts and emulate game situations as much as possible but I don't see much improvement, it just doesn't seem natural or easily repeatable. But when I'm picking them off the ground, it's automatic (automatic for me anyway).

So I got pick my putter off the ground and fire, right? So here's what my new pre-putt routine is going to be:

1. Put mini down and put putter down behind it a little to the side while getting rid of previously thrown disc.

2. Step away and address the basket like a kicker about to kick a FG.

3. Walk up to lie, pick up putter and fire.

Does this change seem like it might have some merit?

Let me throw this out at you guys:

I've noticed that my practice putts and game putts aren't the same either. When I practice putting, I've gotten into the habit of picking up putters off the ground, from cleaning up missed putts, and firing them at the basket in one motion. When I practice putting I try to randomize the putts and emulate game situations as much as possible but I don't see much improvement, it just doesn't seem natural or easily repeatable. But when I'm picking them off the ground, it's automatic (automatic for me anyway).

So I got pick my putter off the ground and fire, right? So here's what my new pre-putt routine is going to be:

1. Put mini down and put putter down behind it a little to the side while getting rid of previously thrown disc.

2. Step away and address the basket like a kicker about to kick a FG.

3. Walk up to lie, pick up putter and fire.

Does this change seem like it might have some merit?

whatever floats your boat man, haha. if that is what puts your mind in the correct mental state and your body in the correct position, then that's what works.

myself, i have noticed a difference bigtime. sometimes it doesn't always show through and i'm still streaky, but i definitely am a better putter than when i started. buying a basket helped for sure.

play like you practice, practice like you play. that's key.

It's your confidence you need to work on.

Agreed. You may be psyching yourself out on the course, putting too much pressure on yourself. Try to relax a little and not think about it so much. My best putting seems to take place when I just let it flow and don't try to over analyze every putt.

The confidence goes a loooong way. And I'm speaking from personal experience. I used to no confidence in my putting whatsoever. But I practiced all winter long and the past 4 tournies that I've played in, at least one person every round on my card has complemented me on my putting. It is definitely the strongest part of my game. And it came with my growth in confidence. How did I get this confidence? Well, I tell people not to practice putting. But rather practice making putts. I know that sounds rudimentary, but there IS a difference. Start out at 10 feet if you have to. But stick to your routine and don't move farther back until you are making everything. I see people practicing 35 footers and missing every one. IMO, that does absolutely nothing for your confidence if the only thing you're doing is practicing how to miss a putt. Hope this helps.

My normal routine is this, and it has helped quite a bit. It gives me something to strive for and keeps me in range to sink putts consistently. I have just over 30' to work with in my basement (still waiting for spring) with every 5' marked from 10-30:

• Put 15 minutes on the clock. Enough time to make it worth while - but not so much that I lose focus.
  • I use 3 discs
  • Start at 10'
  • If I hit all 3 - I move back a line. Hit 2/3, I stay there. Hit 1/3 - Move up a line. Hit 0/3 - restart back to 10'.
  • If I hit all 3 at 30' I "win" and call it for the session. Nothing like that for a confidence builder.
  • Goal is to 'win', but if not, to end on the furthest line I can.

So far I've only won 1x, but that was a great feeling. Usually I end up on 20 or 25 when time is up. 10' are gimmes. 15' I usually don't miss. 20' starts to push it - I'm currently about 40% hitting all three - 50% hitting 2/3 - 10% hitting 1/3. At 25-30 it really depends on the day but accuracy goes down quite a bit. The 2 things I like about this setup are:
1 - It builds pressure (otherwise hard to simulate in practice) as there is nothing like having hit 2/2 and knowing that last one from 30 will "win" the game.
2 - It keeps me in ranges that allow me to be successful but are not all gimme's. And once you do have a bad 'round' you move in 5 feet and almost always go 3/3 which is great for confidence.

My normal routine is this, and it has helped quite a bit. It gives me something to strive for and keeps me in range to sink putts consistently. I have just over 30' to work with in my basement (still waiting for spring) with every 5' marked from 10-30:

• Put 15 minutes on the clock. Enough time to make it worth while - but not so much that I lose focus.
  • I use 3 discs
  • Start at 10'
  • If I hit all 3 - I move back a line. Hit 2/3, I stay there. Hit 1/3 - Move up a line. Hit 0/3 - restart back to 10'.
  • If I hit all 3 at 30' I "win" and call it for the session. Nothing like that for a confidence builder.
  • Goal is to 'win', but if not, to end on the furthest line I can.

So far I've only won 1x, but that was a great feeling. Usually I end up on 20 or 25 when time is up. 10' are gimmes. 15' I usually don't miss. 20' starts to push it - I'm currently about 40% hitting all three - 50% hitting 2/3 - 10% hitting 1/3. At 25-30 it really depends on the day but accuracy goes down quite a bit. The 2 things I like about this setup are:
1 - It builds pressure (otherwise hard to simulate in practice) as there is nothing like having hit 2/2 and knowing that last one from 30 will "win" the game.
2 - It keeps me in ranges that allow me to be successful but are not all gimme's. And once you do have a bad 'round' you move in 5 feet and almost always go 3/3 which is great for confidence.

I used to do something very similar. It sure does put pressure on making those last putts. My problem was that after a while of never "winning" I quit trying as I always got stuck at the same point. I should probably start doing this again and see how I do now.

I used to do something very similar. It sure does put pressure on making those last putts. My problem was that after a while of never "winning" I quit trying as I always got stuck at the same point. I should probably start doing this again and see how I do now.

I think the key there is to set the "winning" point to something that is challenging, but achievable. If 25 is too hard to win but 30 is too hard, set your winning point to 27. You want to be able to win enough to build confidence.....but not so much that it loses it's meaning.

To me practice anywhere you can get it is great, but with respect to putting, you're going to get a lot better results if you start applying it in a game situation. You never end up with a 25'er on flat terrain with no wind during the round (except of course when you do).

One suggestion if you can make it to the course during an off peak time and won't be holding folks up is to play a round where you do two approach shots (or possibly two drives if you can get within 50' from the tee) and then putt once or twice from each of them, while applying your practice techniques. This way you blur the distinction between practice and the real thing and hopefully calm your nerves a bit when the shots do count.

To me practice anywhere you can get it is great, but with respect to putting, you're going to get a lot better results if you start applying it in a game situation. You never end up with a 25'er on flat terrain with no wind during the round (except of course when you do).

One suggestion if you can make it to the course during an off peak time and won't be holding folks up is to play a round where you do two approach shots (or possibly two drives if you can get within 50' from the tee) and then putt once or twice from each of them, while applying your practice techniques. This way you blur the distinction between practice and the real thing and hopefully calm your nerves a bit when the shots do count.

I definitely agree with this - but for the past few months I've been stuck in my basement for practice. I'll be (hopefully) moving my basket outside soon and I'll definitely mix it up much more.