• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putting Putter Stability Preference

What stability do you prefer for your putting putter?

• Overstable (VP, Rhyno, JOKERi)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Stable (Ion, Judge, Wizard)

Votes: 107 81.7%
  • Understable (Magic, Anode, Summit

Votes: 22 16.8%

• Total voters

Qikly

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
What stability do you prefer for your putting putter and why? If you use different molds at different distances, I'm asking about your in-the-circle putter here. Bonus points for thoughts from those who have used significantly different stabilities for their putting putter at different times.

i have always used stable.. or maybe stable-overstable.. i prefer big beaded putters.. used KC Aviars for years till i found my beloved Stiff Protege Clozers :) .. at least for inside the circle

i have always used stable.. or maybe stable-overstable..

Yeah, I'd initially thought of doing for categories, with OS, stable-OS, stable-US, and US, but the last two categories didn't seem to have a lot of examples for each.

Love the bead. Makes me a sable to overstable putter.

In putter world, I like to imagine that they have polls like:
What human do you prefer?
1. Stable
2. Crazy
3. Boring

I like stable to slightly OS but I bag a Rhyno or Harp some for windy days.

I used to use a magic with a hyzer release ala old school nikko. I knew i could be more consistent from 20+ft throwing flat so i tried a few stable putters
Wizards were too deep and it wasnt until the judge i found one that felt great.

Love the bead. Makes me a sable to overstable putter.

In putter world, I like to imagine that they have polls like:
What human do you prefer?
1. Stable
2. Crazy
3. Boring

^I'll have what he's having;)

Judge for the last year and a bit and Ion for two years before that. I prefer the seasoned hard Judge for holding a stable line were my Ions wanted to fade out around the edge of the circle unless I gave them some extra gas that wasn't good on those occasional airball blow-bys:eek:

Yay! I get bonus points!

I started with an Omega SS that was beat to the point of almost unrecognizable and very US. I then switched to a Rhyno because it's really windy in Texas. In between there I got a Blowfly for approaches that I occasionally used as a putter too. Then I got a soft Ion, and an Envy.

The Envy does everything the Rhyno did in the wind but doesn't have that crazy fade at the end which makes it way more reliable. It's also replaced my Omega for straight longer putts. Really, it's just the best putter ever made, or that ever will be made, or conceived of. Admit it, you want one.

I love stable to slightly over stable, judge, dagger and challenger are my favorite putters in disc golf if they have the right feeling plastic

For putting and a lot of shots I prefer a slow, fairly understable disc; my medium worn 175 protege clutches.

I putted with a Magic for years as a Push Putter. While I was very accurate 25' and in, my accuracy dropped like a rock outside 25'.
So I started looking at the Climo/McBeth style where you start the putt down low and give it a little loft. After working at it for a year, I started using that as my primary putting style, and I use a San Marino beadless Star Aviar. Very neutral putter, but more stable than you might think. I now look at anything inside the circle as makeable and I'm disappointed when I don't.
I'll also can some 40 and 50 footers regularly.

Having said all that, putter stability really doesn't matter much inside the circle.

After going through several putters (Aviar, Ion, Anode, Banger GT, KC Aviar, & the Vibrams) I believe I have settled on the Trilogy Challenge's Shield. It fits well for my smaller hands, it's tacky, it flies straight and then drops to the ground so I do not have to 3-putt if I miss (should add I have been making more and longer putts with Shield).

Holding onto the VP for windy putts and approaches and the Summit for short annies.

I have used challengers for a couple years. Which are semi OS and usually beat in to straight flyers.....but I am really digging the soft envy I got today. It has a similar OS flight to the challenger, but its slimmer profile fights through the wind better for me. I have been using the proton version for tee offs and approach shots for a couple months.

APX
Basically, I was looking for a no-fade Soft Magnet purely for putting and didn't care what it would fly like with an actual throw. Have come to enjoy the crazy short turnovers you can get from it once it starts to wear in.

Those APXs drive sweet too, though :thmbup:

I used Zones when I putted turbo, because I put a lot of anny on it and wanted it to come back and hit the basket flat.

I use Wizards now. I don't want it to float or hyzer off.