• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting with a ROC....

Used a Cro and Spider for a while. The spider can slam chains dead on from a huge distance out. I have recently found that yeti's are my go to though, unless im in the wind, then im using a very soft rhyno.

If you like thicker rims on a putter I would recommned a Hydra! Feels very roc like to me and it is pretty stable for a putter.

^this...i got a box of discs from an auction and there were 2 hydras in there...hard as a rock but consistent....are they actually considered a putter?? i wasn't quite sure as they are marked multi-purpose...haha..and they float!!:D

I've used dx sharks for longer putts and short standing upshots. Then I found how nice a condor is for those approaches and no longer carry a shark.

The ooold Scorpian... my very first disc, got it after playing my 1st round ever back in '95 at Reedy Creek in Charlotte. Played my 1st round ever with a regular Wammo Frisbee, ran into a few guys that told me about a pro shop that was near by. Picked up a Scorpian and a Shark(recomended by the sales guy) and after playing with the Wammo it felt like I could throw that Scorpian a mile :)

Try a dart. It's the same disc stat wise but a little slower and comes in grippier plastic. I used to use my mako for one disc rounds but found a lot of putts were sliding out due to the shape and smoothness of the disc combined with the wide diameter. Lotsa chains but less that stuck.

Thanx!

Update: I played at Hornings Hideout in Oregon over the weekend. I have been there 10 times now and always played +4 over par on the Canyon course. Now that I'm putting with my ROC I was -2 on the Canyon course, only missing one putt. I goofed realy bad on one hole taking a double bogey, but took 2 birdys after that. One of those birdys was a 60 footer. I had one realy bad putt due to lack of focus. I'm personaly saying good by to putters, except my MVP Anode, that thing just flys for ever!!
Its funny tho, I will drive with a putter and putt with a ROC, but I wont drive with a ROC, only putt with a ROC?? Works for me!!

i started putting with my Classic Roc about a year ago and i love it. i will usually grab my Aviar anywhere from 7 feet or close. but beyond that distance, its the Classic Roc. :D

I putted with Classic Rocs for a bit - I didn't find that roll-aways or bounce outs were an issue, but I found them hard to consistently release as a putter. Lots of undershooting and then compensating and overshooting as the disc catches a little glide. I also like 'regular' Rocs, but the large diameter alone doesn't appeal to me as a putter.

I don't think it's just the Gateway plastic that makes their putters desirable, but also the simplicity and consistency of the flight of their molds. Easily repeatable simple putting flights are what the Wizard, Magic, etc. are all about.

I've had it with my putters!! I have tried just about every putter on the market, and I don't like any of them. So I went to my trusty DX ROC for a putter. Most of the mid-range discs I have work, I just like the feel of a DX ROC. Realy I think its the size of the lip on most putters thats the problem for me. I started using my mids for putting this last friday, and so far I have dropped 4 strokes off my game. However I have learned a few things:

1-dont use anything other than base plastic, dx, r-pro, pro-d. Most other plastic is too slippery on the chains = duh.

2-trying to "turbo" putt is realy difficult for me with a mid, they are too big for my grip.

3-using a midrange disc as a putter in the wind is not as easy, I prefer to putt with the mid upside down when in heavy winds. This helps to keep from getting blown over or off to the side of a basket.

4-I stil carry a putter (black sss wizard) just because you never know what your round is gona throw at you!!

On a side note I'd pay to get a classic roc made outa the same plastic Gateway uses for their sss putters!!!! So anybody else like a roc or buzzz for putting??

Yup; it's strange that it never gets considered a putter though - probably because it's popular as an approach disc. I find it easier to release with a little more power behind it (like throwing a Rancho Roc) as opposed to the softer putting release I use.

Isn't the Classic Roc classified as a putter anyway?

A response to the first post of the thread:

You say you have trouble putting with mids in the wind. I wonder why? When it's super windy, I'll putt with my Vector just because of the fact that it doesn't get kicked around in wind as much as my Ion. I've had decent success with it.

Also, speaking to the whole idea of putting with mids in general, go for it! It doesn't matter how well you conform to the ideas of which discs to use where, it matters what you get in the chains sooner!

I have been realy happy with my mid-range discs as putters. Realy this has cut down on my disc sellection as well. I carry 2 wood roc's 2 MVP mids and a Z buzzzzzz. Realistcly I "should" be able to get the shot I need with these, even in the wind..

I really need to expand my putter selection because the first and only putter I have is a dx 150 aviar. I like putting with it but would like something heavier. I also have done well recently with sometimes putting with my dx 175 shark.