• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions about my first dye

Pymm

* Ace Member *
So, I just ordered a new River to replace the one I lost. Getting a white one because I want to try to dye it. I want to do the Elmer's Glue dye because I like that look and it seems pretty simple to do. I plan to use IDye Poly powder for the colors (blue and yellow). I've watched a couple of videos and I think I can do it. The only question I have is how to not dye over the stamp. I want to apply glue only to the top edge and bottom edge, do the blue, and repeat with the yellow, while leaving the middle portion of the disc with the stamp alone. If I taped over the stamp with duct tape or something would it prevent the dye from seeping under? Could I simply apply glue or some other substance over the stamp to protect it instead of tape? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I really admire the dyes I see on this board and want to try it out but want to start with something simple (am I fooling myself into thinking this is simple?). Thanks!

Best way is to use vinyl like we use for stencils. Most of us use Oracle 631 or 651 for best results. You can get some cheapish stuff at local hobby shops, but, in my experience, they do not seal as well.

Best way is to use vinyl like we use for stencils. Most of us use Oracle 631 or 651 for best results. You can get some cheapish stuff at local hobby shops, but, in my experience, they do not seal as well.

Thanks! So I can just cut the vinyl to size and stick it over the stamp it looks like. I will give it a shot.

if it is a foil stamp, don't worry about it.
It won't dye over.

Dye generally doesn't affect stamps much if at all. Just be sure to clean all of your dye off with soapy water when done before you remove your masking(whether it is glue or vinyl) so that you don't accidentally smear dye where you don't want it.

If you are really worried you can always mask it as suggested above.

Took me a minute to dig it up
Here is a dye I did leaving part of the foil stamp on.

Innova%20Orc%202_zpstkywktl7.jpg

The ink stamps are usually safe as long as you aren't dying anything darker over it.
If you mix acetone with your dye, that can damage your original stamp.

If it's a foil stamp, this is risky as vinyl can pull color off the stamp. It's kind of a maybe-it-will-maybe-it-wont deal. I've had it happen and not. Probably depends mostly on how long the vinyl is left on.

if it is a foil stamp, don't worry about it.
It won't dye over.

Dye generally doesn't affect stamps much if at all.

Again, that's true of dye itself, and is true for any water/dye mix, but if you are planning on doing this with shaving cream or detergent or anything like that, those things will take ALL the color off a foil stamp. I have actually used that intentionally to make a blue stamp have silver stripes on it by removing the color with stripes of shaving cream.

If it's just a basic stamp, then yeah, you are pretty safe to do whatever sans acetone.

Honestly, I think your idea of using glue would look cool.

Took me a minute to dig it up
Here is a dye I did leaving part of the foil stamp on.

Innova%20Orc%202_zpstkywktl7.jpg

The ink stamps are usually safe as long as you aren't dying anything darker over it.
If you mix acetone with your dye, that can damage your original stamp.

Wow. Looks great. The disc I want to dye is in the mail to me. I think it's an ink stamp.

If it's a foil stamp, this is risky as vinyl can pull color off the stamp. It's kind of a maybe-it-will-maybe-it-wont deal. I've had it happen and not. Probably depends mostly on how long the vinyl is left on.

Again, that's true of dye itself, and is true for any water/dye mix, but if you are planning on doing this with shaving cream or detergent or anything like that, those things will take ALL the color off a foil stamp. I have actually used that intentionally to make a blue stamp have silver stripes on it by removing the color with stripes of shaving cream.

If it's just a basic stamp, then yeah, you are pretty safe to do whatever sans acetone.

Honestly, I think your idea of using glue would look cool.

Great info; thanks! I hope it looks cool. We'll see in a few days when I get the disc. I'll upload a pic or two when I'm done.

Good info Roggen
I haven't played around a lot with shaving cream dyes. The ones I have done I didn't remember too much alteration of stamps.
Always good to keep in mind.

Latest posts