• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

R-Pro Aviar vs. Omega SS?

bcr123psu

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I was under the impression that the current, beadless mold for the R-Pro Aviar is the same as the current mold for the Omega SS. Can someone provide me with a definitive comparison between these two discs and perhaps a history of how they compare?

Oh, and if they make either/both in black would also be good to know.

Many thanks.

I thought the P&A aviar was a beadless mold and the omega is a small bead mold. Similar but not exactly the same.

Here's the crux of my question. I wanted to get a black R-Pro Aviar, but I didn't see them anywhere and I was under the (misguided) impression that the current runs of the Omega SS were the same AND available in black.

If I did go with an Omega SS just for putting (assuming 60' or less), how different would the flight be from the beadless Aviars that I have been throwing?

All this for black? Arent the JK Aviars available in black? Of course, I think those have a bigger bead than the Omegas.

Here's the crux of my question. I wanted to get a black R-Pro Aviar, but I didn't see them anywhere and I was under the (misguided) impression that the current runs of the Omega SS were the same AND available in black.

If I did go with an Omega SS just for putting (assuming 60' or less), how different would the flight be from the beadless Aviars that I have been throwing?

depends on how hard you putt. I would say inside the circle you wouldn't see much difference or a very small one. outside the circle the omega will fall off a little faster due to the extra stability the bead creates. so you would have to account for a little more hyzer at the end.

depends on how hard you putt. I would say inside the circle you wouldn't see much difference or a very small one. outside the circle the omega will fall off a little faster due to the extra stability the bead creates. so you would have to account for a little more hyzer at the end.

^^ This was my assumption...suspicion confirmed.

they fly pretty similar, i don't know if you'd even notice it much

the omega is a small bead. So it's not the same as the beadless aviar. I believe the beadless aviars have a higher shoulder too.
This was the case when the Omega SS was made from the old plastic; not sure if it is true anymore since it was a result of the way the plastic molded up and both the R-Pro Aviar and Omega SS are made from R-Pro now. In theory the shoulder should be the same now, but I have not seen an Omega SS since before they switched to R-Pro so I could be wrong.

very true stiffy. I use old omegas so I guess I never lookd at new ones much. I do think now that the rpro oss are beadless now that you mention it. Anywho,just get a black oss. Should b easier to find in black

I've thrown both and the only difference i really noticed was the R-Pro Aviar seemed much floppier in my hand than the Omega SS. That also can depend on the type Omega SS you get as 1.26 can be very floppy in Black but the 1.25 is a little more firm but still grabs chains

hey buddy if you decide you want to try out the black omega ss i have a new floppy one and a used stiff 1.25 run both black but both again are small beads but just give me a shout...like rocs, sidewinders, small bead aviars.. etc